When you're not slinging spells, what do you do with your time?

82 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a personal interest in the demographics of gamers/nerds/geeks, as I'm involved in a large Gaming and Pop Culture Society at Sydney University and I see quite a wide gamut of different regulars at our events.

So, I ask you two questions:

1) Besides MtG gaming, what other hobbies do you have? Sport? Other games?

2) What do you do career-wise? If you're in school/college/university, what do you study and what career are you pursuing?

As for me:
1) MtG is my favourite game, but I play a huge number of other games on different platforms (especially RPG video games, other non-CCG card games like Munchkin or Chrononauts or Bang!, some board games, and D&D when I get the chance to get the group together). I read science fiction, horror, a little bit of fantasy, and I've recently taken a liking to boundary-pushing horizon-expanding literature like House of Leaves and Infinite Jest. I have a few other hobbies/interests but none to the same extent as these.

2) I have an Honours degree in Science, majoring in Physics (specifically in ultra-low temperature electronic filters for quantum computing experiments in quantum dot electron traps), and I'm in my final semester of a second degree in Law (no major, but specific interests in Intellectual Property, Security and Property Law, and Taxation). I'm currently going through the seventh layer of hell called "Graduate Job Applications".

What about you? What sort of cross-section do we have in the MtG Community? 
1) Creative writing, digital art, dabbling in game design. I casually play video games and know the rules of most CCGs, though I only play Magic. I still can't figure out why Yu-Gi-Oh is so popular though.

2) Terrible high school student hoping to become a freelance artist.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

1) Videogames, writing, job hunting, cooking, getting hammered, practicing anatomy.
2) Unemployed, college graduate. 
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/SciGj.jpg)
1) video games, tennis, chess, getting back into magic
2) year 11, no idea about careers yet

also it's lame how tons of people here are from Sydney but none are from Canberra
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
1) Writing, baking (I love deserts), video games, some graphic design (I'm not very good).

2) I'm in my sophomore year of college as an English major. With any luck, I'll have a book published before I die.

also it's lame how tons of people here are from Sydney but none are from Canberra

I'm from Canberra XD.

1) Creative writing, Video games, Reading.

2) I'm currently completeing year 12 through CIT, but after that I want to go into youth work.

1) I like to think about Magic when I'm not playing it.

2) Freshman @ University of Minnesota. Business Major.
1) Intarwebs addiction, playing Yomi (<3 the game. Mix of Street Fighter and Magic in card game form)
2) CompSci student.
Trying to help "I'm original" people build better decks is self-sabotage: Good advice will inevitably be ignored because someone did it before. The gist of Magic is going to MWS/MTGO, playing Island, Ponder and watching the opponent ragequit.
1) Golf and geocaching, although this summer has been unbearably hot, so I haven't done much of either.  I also play quite a bit of poker and am very active in our local theatre (acting, directing, bartending, etc.)

2) I do 401k administration, college grad with a BBA in Finance.
Listen to music, read, play video games, go random places with friends.

I'm a senior in college and I'll be going to medical school after I graduate.
1) Besides a little Call of Duty, Magic is the only game I play. Enjoy watching sports, fishing and other lake/beach activities, going to bars drinking, spending time with my wife and friends.

2) I work full time as a hotel receptionist and go to school full time as well. I'm a junior in college majoring in Cyber Security.
In my spare time, video games, sometimes D&D, these forums...
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Job, girlfriend, internet, cooking, reading, parties... pretty much in that order.

I'm a sous chef at a restaurant, and most of the time I have off goes to spending time with my girlfriend. When she's at work and I'm off, it's internet, reading, or barhopping with friends on the weekends.
I mostly build computers. I also listen to music a lot and occasionally play video games. I also do work on my Jeep. Over the weekend a friend and I took a few hours to take apart the doors for a custom speaker installation. That was pretty entertaining. Then we took apart the tail light assembly, but now I can't remember why.

Other than that, I do enjoy meeting ladies.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
1- I'm a dad and husband.
2- I make movies (and make money making movies)
3- Love canoing and camping.
4- Hockey, music, video games, gaming in general, comics, going out.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Probably the #1 thing I do when I'm not playing is building decks. But that's probably not what you meant.

I am definitely a game geek. I enjoy playing all kinds of games with my friends and family members, ranging from complex strategy stuff like Titan and Starfleet Battles, to simpler tabletop card games like Killer Bunnies and Fluxx. Every once in a while I still even enjoy the classics like Monopoly and Clue.

I used to read a lot; now I have less time for books so I listen to podcasts. I like science fiction, fantasy, and even some horror, and listen reguarly to the Escape Artists' trio, Escape Pod, Podcastle and Pseudopod. Just started into the Drabblecast as well.

I do have to get in my daily does of webcomics. There's quite a few I read; favorites are probably John Allison's Bad Machinery, Kris Straub's Chainsaw Suit, and most recently, Ethan Nicolle's Bearmageddon.

I am a husband and a father. I like watching films and shows with my family. The latest kick is Battlestar Galactica, my wife and I are finishing up the final season over the next few weeks.

For a living I am a web designer / front-end developer for a company that provides tech support to long-term care facilities.

And finally, given the invitation, I am someone who likes to talk about myself ad nauseum, so I'll put a sock in it and hit Post.
I have a personal interest in the demographics of gamers/nerds/geeks, as I'm involved in a large Gaming and Pop Culture Society at Sydney University and I see quite a wide gamut of different regulars at our events.

2) What do you do career-wise? If you're in school/college/university, what do you study and what career are you pursuing?

1. I like cats, games (Vidja, role playing, board, card, etc. You show me a game and I'll try it), cats, anime, cats, books, cats, manga, cats, 90s cartoons, cats,  movies, cats, **** around on the internet, cats, music, cats, and cats. 
Oh yes, also cats.

2. I'm currently an English major, not sure what I wanna do yet. Writing for an online site or TV show would be pretty bitchin' though. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

It sounds like you're implying that there's more to life than playing Magic.
SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER.
=== My Decklist === Myr Mania - Standard If you've got some time, give 'em a look-over. I'm always looking for constructive opinion. :3
1. Ultimate Frisbee, rock/tree climbing, reading, programming, piano, viola, hashing.   Soon, working will have a prominent place in this list.

2. Just graduated from college (BS, computer science and math); I'm starting a (cool, awesome) job with the Department of Defense in a few days.

Webcomic people: you should read Schlock Mercenary if you haven't already.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

1) read webcomics, browse the boards, spend time on the internet, read for leisure, read for college, chat with friends, go out with friends, play computer games, play PS3 games, sleep sometimes.

2) Currently at college studying International Relations. I'll end up having to choose between focusing on international commerce or diplomacy. For now, I haven't decided yet.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

I also like to draw and write. I don't draw nearly as much as I used to, most likely out of fear of becoming to good at it. Right now I'm working on something for my ex-fiance, and I have so much skillz is shameful.

I have a degree in Mathematics and Chemistry, with a minor in Physics. At work, I do engineering and application development. I don't know how I fell into the application development part, outside of just being awesome on a computer. I still get calls from time to time for potential employers wanting someone that can be an IT guy or programmer of some sort, even though I have no formal education in computer science.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Outside of Magic I play Dungeons & Dragons, Battletech, and have been known to indulge in a few other tabletop games. I used to read a lot in my teen years, and as of late it seems I'm getting back into reading. I used to write poetry in my teen years as well, and was quite prolific. These days I rarely bother with it. I've tried writing a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) a couple times (the first time getting about 80% done, the second very little). I used to program as a hobby when I was young. I still play a lot of classic console and arade games (emulation is a grand thing). I follow a few webcomics. Oh, and I've been doing a video series of me sorting my vast Magic collection for the past 6 months.

As for work, sadly none these days (I hear tell there's a lot of that going around). Last job I had was as a 35N in the Army, and I'd love to do it again civilian side (it's great work).

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

1.) Comics, Video games (just finished off Resistance 3, now waiting for Gears of War 3 and Batman: Arkham City) hanging out with my girlfriend, Baseball (Phillies & Braves)

2.) I work at a comic shop where I also run our weekly FNM and Sunday Night Standard tournaments. I go to a community college where I major in Sports Management, Hoping to transfer to Temple University within the year and get a job with the Phillies or Braves down the road..  

Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

1.  Reading - preferably science fiction, fantasy, Lovecraftian horror, military history, certain (auto)biographies, nonfiction books, and essays.  Preparedness, shooting, Castle Age, word games, thinking, and learning.  My day is unsatisfactory unless I learn something new, large or small.

Sometimes, I learn here.

2.  Teach senior and sophomore English; Wolf Cub Denleader; husband and father.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.

I'm from Canberra XD.

1) Creative writing, Video games, Reading.

2) I'm currently completeing year 12 through CIT, but after that I want to go into youth work.

woah nelly
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
1)  I like going out and spending time with my wife and family, playing golf, playing poker, watching my favorite sports teams (all Miami), playing PC games from time to time, and reading.

2)  I am a PE teacher.
Med student, also I write, watch cheesy movies, read books, and I swim and do martial arts (shotokan, to be exact). I also play basketball. Yeah, I'm not the stereotypical nerd.

1) Creative writing, digital art, dabbling in game design. I casually play video games and know the rules of most CCGs, though I only play Magic. I still can't figure out why Yu-Gi-Oh is so popular though.

Magic shies away from its occult aspects that all the preachers know about but the players (and creators, and everyone else involved in it) don't. Yugioh makes this central to the anime.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
1) I probably spend the majority of my free time going to the gym and relaxing with my wife. It helps that we share many of the same interests. At least a little. I play video games, but not as much as I used to. (Can't wait for Skyrim though) The same with reading. I like to watch movies and MMA. I watch a few tv shows (Sgt. Frog anyone?) through netflix. I like to have a main game or two and series to fill in short bursts of down time. I like music and playing guitar. I am currently obsessed with Chuck Mangione.

2) I am a graduate assistant in my campus library and teach two intensive english classes this semester. I am currently working on my masters of teaching and will be finished in the spring. When my wife finishes her masters we hope to teach english abroad before we settle down somewhere.

It is very interesting to hear about fellow Magic players!

Holy crap!

You people are actually interesting! I'm enjoying this thread.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
I work fulltime slinging beer for a distribution company. When I get home, I edit the novel I'm working on (nearly finished!) and create bad Magic decks that always look good on paper!
1) comics, videogames ( both console and pc ).

2) art school currently, hoping to get into graphic/game design.  

I got blessed with a girlfriend who also shares my magic/videogame ways.. so life is never boring in the homestead.  
When I started playing magic in high school again, it was the maths and science people who primarily played.

This thread shows its very much a game of choice for the creative and literary arts people, which was ad I found with the general demographic of the club I run.

Interesting! Carry on!
1) I collect spores, molds, and fungus.
...oh, and I read quite a bit (pop fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, classics, non-fiction science, just about anything except "Infinite Jest"...so damn long), listen to music (all genres...really), bike, PnP RPG, some console games, watch films, write.
2) I am trained as an RN, currently unemployed- taking care of our youngest son.
now I have less time for books so I listen to podcasts. I like science fiction, fantasy, and even some horror, and listen reguarly to the Escape Artists' trio, Escape Pod, Podcastle and Pseudopod. Just started into the Drabblecast as well.

I am a big podcast listener, too- and I listen to far too many.
Daily Affirmations with Bob Ducca
Stuff you should know
Stuff mom never told you
Stuff you missed in History class
Car Stuff
Comedy Bang Bang
Judge John Hogeman
The Sound of Young America
This American Life
Fresh Air
On the Media
WTF with Mark Maron
On the Media
Planet Money
The Nerdist
Sex Nerd Sandra
On Science
Doug Loves Movies
The Indoor Kids
The Moth
Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me
Techstuff

With a couple of exceptions I try and keep up with them weekly, but it is way too much.  Most of the gaming pocasts I have heard have been terrible, so I don't go in for them.

1. Mostly stuff I can't talk about.  I will say that I like NBA Jam and any version of Smash.  I also play fantasy football. That's pretty much the extent of my gaming, though I dabble in many crafts such as StarCraft and MineCraft (just buy it already).  I used to run and I often talk about doing it again, though I'm sure I probably won't.  I love reddit and politics.

I work for the president.  I graduated from where Magic was made, the place that made Richard Garfield PhD a, umm, PhD.  I will eventually be going to law school, though it might take me a bit longer if I run for elected office first.   

I plan to offer business development acumen and legal counsel before eventually seeking higher elected office. Before that, I'll help you make your dreams a reality...and a tax avoidance strategy.  

I am also enchanted by the Singularity.  I think "luddite" is the dirtiest of all swears. 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
1) I read manga, webcomics, books, nutrition labels; watch anime; cook; write novels; play video games; wander about aimlessly; etc.

2) I'm currently in college majoring in accounting with a minor in business. I also work on and off as a file clerk during breaks.
Holy crap!

You people are actually interesting!

Most people are, once you get to know them. 

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Holy crap!

True.  Right now, I wish we could all meet and have a draft or a casual multiplayer game.  Anyone feels like a quick trip to Montreal? 
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Holy crap!

True.  Right now, I wish we could all meet and have a draft or a casual multiplayer game.  Anyone feels like a quick trip to Montreal? 

I would,  but I am alergic to North.
For the podcasters, some colleagues of mine made a weekly podcast called 'sukhast'. It's a bit out of date now, since it was made last year, but it's pretty amusing, I think.
Woah, Islands.  Just, wow.  Holy crap.
That said, I'm an Accounting major, which I just switched to last year.  Hopefully I'll be able to transfer in a year, since otherwise this well be an obnoxious 6 years just for a Bachelor's Degree.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Sign In to post comments