Innistrad human-tribal decks

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Am I the only one who thinks that post-rotation humans are going to be pure win?
W: Champion of the Parish (ISD)
WW: Elite Inquisitor (ISD)
WW: Grand Abolisher
WW: Puresteel Paladin
1WW: Gideons Avenger

That's 5 powerful cards, all under 3...

Throw in
XW: Mikaeus, the Lunarch (ISD)
...boosting everything

I don't know... I think Humans are looking to be pretty frikkin' powerful come October.
You are Red/Blue!
I think Mentor gets the nod over Avenger in a WW build. Otherwise, it has the same problem as any other Aggro deck at running out of steam. I'm pretty sure DoJ and Slagstorm will be in full effect come rotation for the usual surge of Aggro decks early on. I'm just not sure if WW will get enough weapons to push it in front of the U/W Puresteel build.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Don't forget Village Cannibals, that card makes W/B humans look pretty attractive to me, combined with some other nifty black cards.

Mentor of the meek will deffinitely be a key card I think, as it helps you gain CA, which is totally lacking in most aggro decks, so you can drop a new little army when you get hit with DoJ.

Too soon to really tell, as per usual, but I think things do look very promising for humans.

The deck just needs some kind of DoJ counter, but I bet you'll have something like that in the unspoiled cards, morbid to me sounds like a very promising mechanic to turn DoJ from a penalty into an advantage.

Especially if when DoJ hits you have the max mana you could have by that turn, and like 5 cards in hand. 
You listed all the terrible cards.

4x Champion of the parish
4x elite vanguard
3x gideon's lawkeeper
4x accorder paladin
2x elite inquistidor
4x honor of the pure
4x blade splicer
4xmirran cruader,
4x hero of bladehold
3x dismember

24 lands

No need to thank me... I only built post rotation ww for you guys.
On second thought, G/W humans are starting to look legit. The fact that they have a 2-cost (non intensive) lord gives them a good boost. And Mentor has a good chance of giving them a push in terms of CA. I could see something like this developing:

4 Champion of the Parish
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Accorder Paladin
4 Mayor of Avabruck
3 Mentor of the Meek
4 Mirran Crusader
3 Hero of Bladehold

4 Lead the Stampede
3 Dismember

23 Lands, 4 more two-drops

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

On second thought, G/W humans are starting to look legit. The fact that they have a 2-cost (non intensive) lord gives them a good boost. And Mentor has a good chance of giving them a push in terms of CA. I could see something like this developing:

4 Champion of the Parish
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Accorder Paladin
4 Mayor of Avabruck
3 Mentor of the Meek
4 Mirran Crusader
3 Hero of Bladehold

4 Lead the Stampede
3 Dismember

23 Lands, 4 more two-drops

Avacyn's Pilgrim just cries "COME ON IDIOTS PLAY GW HUMANS AND NOT WW"
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
GW humans has at elast 3 different legitimate 1 drop humans, that human champ, the llanowar wannabe and also good ol' elite vanguard.  (2 power on turn 1 is still great for a tribal deck, see illusions).

2 different lords as well, plus bunch of stompy things.  add in dismember, oring, and maybe lead the stamp.  you're good to go.

W(G) humans is on my decks to watch list.  that, or just a straight up GW beatdown deck with some swords.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

GW humans has at elast 3 different legitimate 1 drop humans, that human champ, the llanowar wannabe and also good ol' elite vanguard.  (2 power on turn 1 is still great for a tribal deck, see illusions).

2 different lords as well, plus bunch of stompy things.  add in dismember, oring, and maybe lead the stamp.  you're good to go.

W(G) humans is on my decks to watch list.  that, or just a straight up GW beatdown deck with some swords.

Ya, Thrun Swords def. seems strong post-rotation. With all the W/x Aggro and Control popping up, I'm sure SoWaP will see a good amount of play early on. I wonder if Hero of Oxid Ridge will be as strong as he was in this meta.

I really want humans to be competitive just so that I can sing "The Humans Are Dead" when a metagame shift makes the deck disappear from tournament play.

L1 Judge

I really want humans to be competitive just so that I can sing "The Humans Are Dead" when a metagame shift makes the deck disappear from tournament play.

It would be even more fun to sing it whenever you play a mass removal spell.

Binary solo!

this is worse than elves and elves was too slow to compete, i dont understand how you think this will win games.  tribal decks are bad, the fact that you're all even considering this deck is beyond me.  You want to win games, dont build vampires, werewolves or humans.  This wont bet bant-pod, this wont beat tempered steel, this wont beat u/w puresteel.... why not just build a real deck instead of toying with silly tribal stuff that is force fed to you... Heck i'm pretty sure they'll have 3 tribal preconstructed decks, why not just buy one of those and lose with it for 1/10th the price?

it has a great 1 drop (Champion of the Parish), a lord at 2 (Mayor of Avabruck) a beatstick at 2 (Elite Inquisitor), a lord at 3 (Adaptive Automaton) Removal at 3 (Fiend Hunter), Removal at 4 (Slayer of the wicked), a pump spell with flashback (travel preperations) and an INDESTRUCTIBLE HEXPROOF ANGEL!

OH, AND A LAND THAT PUTS A +1+1 COUNTER ON ALL YOUR GUYS!!!

Won't be any good... are you mental?!
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
i'ts too slow to be aggro and has too little answer to be midrange. Its just a slow aggro deck. oh and that angel is a really bad card. Adaptive automation is probably the worst lord ever printed to boot.
of course its the worst lord... by definition, it has to basically be the worst one because it has to be all of them.  all other lords are color/type specific and as such usually get at least or grant at least one other ability.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

Wow I love how everyone just skipped my post and continued posting about bad gw decks.  The gw versions will be obviously terrible.  A lord thats a 1/1 for 2 mana is terrible, mentor of the meek is terrible, etc etc.  WW is almost viable NOW, and it loses basically nothing and gains champion of the parish.  You don't need to go full tribal humans... most of the actually powerful cards such as elite vanguard, hero, mirran crusader, and blade splicer are all humans.  You don't need more than that to make this deck work.  you don't need to mess around with lands that come into play tapped to play garbage like lead the stampede or mayor.  Maybe if theres something really good spoiled this idea has merit(and the new land helps) but really all you have to do is go straight ww, play champion of the parish, and play the good human cards(on their own).
Wow I love how everyone just skipped my post and continued posting about bad gw decks.  The gw versions will be obviously terrible.  A lord thats a 1/1 for 2 mana is terrible, mentor of the meek is terrible, etc etc.  WW is almost viable NOW, and it loses basically nothing and gains champion of the parish.  You don't need to go full tribal humans... most of the actually powerful cards such as elite vanguard, hero, mirran crusader, and blade splicer are all humans.  You don't need more than that to make this deck work.  you don't need to mess around with lands that come into play tapped to play garbage like lead the stampede or mayor.  Maybe if theres something really good spoiled this idea has merit(and the new land helps) but really all you have to do is go straight ww, play champion of the parish, and play the good human cards(on their own).

I would like to disagree with you here. Again, WW is great until you get blown out by Slagstorm or DoJ. "Garbage" cards like Mentor and Lead the Stampede keep your hand filled, allowing you to keep up the pressure into and throughout the midgame. And so you can overextend in the early game without fear of having to go into topdeck mode.

I would like to disagree with you here. Again, WW is great until you get blown out by Slagstorm or DoJ. "Garbage" cards like Mentor and Lead the Stampede keep your hand filled, allowing you to keep up the pressure into and throughout the midgame. And so you can overextend in the early game without fear of having to go into topdeck mode.

The issue is that those cards are ridiculously slow for an agro deck.  Second, you have hero post wrath, which is enough in most cases.  If you're playing with mentor or lead the stampede you'll be dead while you're still drawing cards.
True, Hero usually is enough Post-Wrath, it's just finding her. I just like having another out to their Wrath/Gideon, etc. Mentor tends to be a bit slow in Aggro, if he's not played on Turn 2 via Pilgrim. However, I've found Lead the Stampede to be a good card in Aggro because it lays at the top of the curve. It doesn't necessarily have to be quick because you're ideally going to be playing it once your hand is depleted (Turn 4 or 5). 3 mana for 2-3 creatures at that point in the game isn't bad. I've played it in Steel before and been impressed.

Lets not forget that Gideon is a human planeswalker.
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)

that has no place in an aggro deck.
heres my human deck that i put together and its actually doing really well.

24 plains

4 elite inquisitors
4 gideons lawkeepers
3 grand abolisher
4 thraben sentary
2 cloistered youth
2 geist- honored monk

2 day of judgement
4 stave off
4 angelic destiny
3 oblivion ring
2 honor of the pure
1 true conviction.
1 gideon jura

60 cards

this deck actually runs really smooth. full of endless combos. i myself like to attach the angelic destinys to the inquisitors. that just gives me a 6/6 flyer with first strike, vigelence. and protection from zombies, vamps and werewolves. I plan on taking out the thraben sentaries when i can get ahold of some champions of perish. its gotten quite a few wins against my friends so far. im waiting to use it in a tournament. but there you go

that has no place in an aggro deck.

eh, i'd say its debatable.

Photobucket

Wow. One thing I love about reading this old thread is how so many people put a crap load of hate on G/W humans. Guess what one of the top decks are right now? lol. Yeah. I play W/G humans right now. Its my 2nd best deck thanks to overrun. Mikaeus, the Lunarch is incredibly beast. then you have gavonry Township. Champion of the parrish just kills if you play a human swarm. With green added in with the white it allows you to mana ramp and when you got all that extrea mana and tons of smaller creatures you use Mentor of The meek to just keep drawing and keep swarming. Champion of the Parrish will get to be huge by turn 3-4 if you played him on turn 1. Then just beef up all your creatures with one of the several counter producers or overrun.

so yeah. anyone who reads this comment now already realizes this but I find it hilarous that if I had posted this same post about 2-3 months ago it would have gotten flamed and the ideas considered retarded. Makes me really trust a lot of people's knowledge on what will actually be "competitive" or "win matches" *sarcasm*
I'd like to hear ideas about a green white or mono white Standard human deck. Everything metioned above has cards that have already rotated out of Standard. 
A few Top 8'd at States. Champions and Pilgrims into.Thalias and Mayors and Precinct Captains, into Silverblade into Sublime Archangel or Odric. Add Rancor and a couple of O-Rings, and the standard GW manabase.