Are you ready for some Football!

269 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know I am.  Now that the two-games too long pre-season is over, the real football (throwball) season is set to begin.

The opener should be a good game. (Saints v. Packers)

The worst is not knowing if your team's game is going to be aired.Frown 

Go Chargers!
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
Nope.  If it were, Cleveland would have a good baseball team again.  I'd say we'd like to get rid of the Brown's ownership but it seems Lerner finally gets it.  Hired Holmgren to do the football stuff so he can stick with soccer.  We'll see, though.

Go Browns! 
Go Pack!  Repeat champs!
Go Buckeyes!
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Nope.  If it were, Cleveland would have a good baseball team again.  I'd say we'd like to get rid of the Brown's ownership but it seems Lerner finally gets it.  Hired Holmgren to do the football stuff so he can stick with soccer.  We'll see, though.

Go Browns! 
Go Pack!  Repeat champs!
Go Buckeyes!

Go Raiders!  *sigh*
Go Huskers!  (I actually have hopes for this one...  )

"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I want a return of my Cardiac Cats. (Panthers for those of you not remembering what they were called on their super bowl run)

Go Steelers.

Go, Browns.
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
I know I am.  Now that the two-games too long pre-season is over, the real football (throwball) season is set to begin.

The worst is not knowing if your team's game is going to be aired. 

Go Chargers!

It is going to be an awesome game. Both teams have an aggressive (and effective) aerial game.

Gonna be a shoot-out, just what the NFL needed after the summer of strike.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Thurs games are usually the sole domain of the NFL network.  The network that somehow manages to use the worst announcers and play by play men of all time.

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

GO STEELERS!!!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
No love for my cats RH?
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.

It is going to be an awesome game. Both teams have an aggressive (and effective) aerial game.

You sure called that one. (42-34)  Yeah, it was fun game to watch.
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie

You sure called that one. (42-34)  Yeah, it was fun game to watch.

And right down to the last play. Sure, that Pass Interference call in the endzone was kinda chintzy, and I can understand why they ran instead of passing, but what an awesome game!!

I actually stayed up late to watch the finish.  With 9 mins left and a 15 point lead, I wouldn't bother in most cases but with Drew Brees running the opposing O, that's really not enough points and way too much time.  Glad they stuffed Ingram after that sorta BS call on Hawk.  He hit the ball with his hands.  It was just good D.  But whatever, the Pack won and that's what counts.  Whoever has Brees or Rodgers as their fantasy QB has to be pretty damned happy.  Both had epic stat lines.  Too bad we have no idea about either team's D just yet.  They both got eviscerated but, really, that's almost to be expected considering the offensive talent on field.  At least we know the Pack can still run the ball.  Let me take a moment to express the thought of everyone else in that division: ruh roh. 

EDIT: They do need to work on punt coverage, though.  I mean, Sproles is awesome an' all but damn.  Gotta either kick the ball away or cover better.  Just not good.  At least they got it back on a kickoff - though he should have kneeled it.  Running it out from 8 yards deep in the preseason to impress coaches is one thing.  To do it in a shootout of a first game is quite a different story.

Section Six Soldier

I have both Rodgers and Jennings on the bench in my Fantasy Football pool. I benched them because the Saints had a pretty awesome defense last year, and my other QB (Eli Manning) is going up against the Redskins, who had a sucky defence last year.

How was I to know that the Saints D would forget that they are supposed to stop plays from happening and allow Rodgers/Jennings to rack up 47-odd points in my PPR league. FORTY-FREAKING-SEVEN!!

The mocking via twitter was somewhat impressive last night.
Hmm.  You may be ok.  I don't think Eli will put up Rodgers-esque numbers (cuz Eli sucks ) but the 'Skins are pretty terrible.  It may work out ok.

Section Six Soldier

The cats better win this first game. This is Arizona... It's Carolina's sworn duty to eat the birds everytime they face off.
No love for my cats RH?

I like to see any team that's down on its luck do well.
Well, as long as they don't beat the Steelers... who are, by the way, going to the Super Bowl... again... this year.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
I don't watch football, but I picked teams anyway.  Mostly I went with emotional reactions to the teams (I will always vote for the Eagles, for example, regardless of who's playing), but some I just went with randomness.

Go teams!! :D
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
Ugh..after waiting all week to see if the Charger game will be shown in my area, I find that they have chosen to air the Niners game instead.Frown

I like the Niners too, but I would have preferred the Chargers game.  I never understand what criteria they use to decide which games are selected for airing.  The area I live in is not usually subject to lame blackout rules, but the Chargers will get bumped for Raider games.  (even though I live way closer to San Diego)

Oh well...looks like I will be spending my Sunday afternoon in a bar.Smile
SD fans are rabid enough to sell out the stadium even in a slump... I don't get it.

Yeah SD does have a good fan base.  The game is not under blackout in SD.  (They did have a couple games blacked-out last year though.)

I guess I am just in an area in between nocal and socal, so with the Sunday games I never know which games are going to be shown until Friday.
Come on guys even in our worst year ever, We still stomped the Birds on their home turf. GO CAROLINA

Is this the one where he pulls out the Brett Farve bobble-head and fireballs everybody?
I posted that years ago, but it is still funny!

EDIT: Yeah, that's it!
Is it just me or does it seem like the Texans are ROFL stomping the Colts? 34-0 by half time!

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

Is it just me or does it seem like the Texans are ROFL stomping the Colts? 34-0 by half time!

It was expected without Manning.  I'm more surprised by how badly Baltimore's beating Pittsburgh.

"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
If missing 1 player is the difference between winning a game and losing by 40 points then it just points out how crappy the team is.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

Something seems to be horribly wrong. Buffalo is up 41-7 ! It's Buffalo! They don't know how to win.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
If missing 1 player is the difference between winning a game and losing by 40 points then it just points out how crappy the team is.

Yup.  Read the article.  It was written by an Indianapolis native.

User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Something seems to be horribly wrong. Buffalo is up 41-7 ! It's Buffalo! They don't know how to win.

I noticed that too. I'm a bit confused by it.

Yup.  Read the article.  It was written by an Indianapolis native.

I read the article and I enjoyed the insight on how bad a team the Colts are.

Holy **** the Panthers look great.

And so does Arizona!

That was a heart attack waiting to happen all the way through.

I think we have a Playoff caliber team. 
SF coaching: not impresed.
Alex ****ing Smith: Why is he still on the team?

So the owners can reuinte Harbaugh and Andrew Luck next year.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
WTF?!  Why are there TWO Monday Night Football games?!
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
SF coaching: not impresed.
Alex ****ing Smith: Why is he still on the team?
Ted Ginn: w/o him I think Seattle wins the game.

I hate my team you cannot hang your fate on a QB who in 6 seasons has a losing record. The commentators keep blaming the fact he's had so many coaches / coordnitators... No **** he really is that bad.

Yeah smith kinda sucks and any point it looks like he might be playing better he gets enjured. He has no record to show for and IMO is a bit of a health liability out on the field. Time for the 9ers to get a new QB. I can understand the commentators with Smith because trying to learn a new offensive style each year must blow, however if you've tried 6 and they've all failed then well it's probably not the offensive coordinators/coaches at that point.

Ted Ginn: Wow. Just wow! 2 touchdowns and 150 yrs returned within a 59 second time span. I agree, without him the 9ers lost that game.

I think the Steelers, have to rethink their Defense. That was absolutely horrible playing on their part. They still have a couple of great players on the Defensive end, of the ball but really? The bulk of them looked like old slow drunks compared to the Ravens, and this year is all about speed and aggressiveness on the offensive side of the ball. 

They better shape up or risk looking like Carolina did last year.

Also, Whitlocks Manning article makes perfect sense really. Though the organisation should never have catered to him that hard. 
I think the Steelers, have to rethink their Defense. That was absolutely horrible playing on their part. They still have a couple of great players on the Defensive end, of the ball but really? The bulk of them looked like old slow drunks compared to the Ravens, and this year is all about speed and aggressiveness on the offensive side of the ball. 

They better shape up or risk looking like Carolina did last year.

Also, Whitlocks Manning article makes perfect sense really. Though the organisation should never have catered to him that hard. 

Whitlock is my absolute favorite sports journalist, and the only one I read regularly.  He used to write for the KC Star, and quit last year to write full-time for FoxSports.  RIGHT AFTER I MOVED TO WHERE I COULD GET THE STAR.  *sigh*

Re: Steelers: They are old.  The oldest defensive unit in the NFL, in fact. 

Re: Manning: If they hadn't catered to him that hard, do you think he'd have still been in Indy a couple years ago when they (finally) won the Super Bowl?
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
I think that he would still be there.

All they had to do was put their foot down on him early on, and cut the other backup QB instead of King.

Even now, I don't think many teams would pick up Peyton. Peyton's older now, and hasn't shown nearly the resilience that Favre has at this point in his career. I don't think Peyton has more than three years left in him right now.

Also, the Bengals are meh. But the Browns looked Bad. 
Browns: Having an incredibly accurate and intelligent quarterback does nothing for you if the people he throws the ball to can't hold onto it.  Get some receivers in the offseason/draft, ok?

Oh yeah, Browns suck! 

And oh yeah, way to barely pull it out against Toledo, Ohio State! 

Section Six Soldier

ZB you should start watching Arizona and the Cats if the opening game was any indication.

Talk about a shootout. Hell both Defenses looked good. (Carolina started looking tired at the end of it, but our team has always been odd that way. Start of the season they look abit winded at the end of the games Defensively, but after the first four games if we have any kind of team they seem to be able to wear the other teams out if necessary)

But had to deal with alot of weapons on the field.

I think the Browns and the Steelers might be comparable this year though! 
I think that he would still be there.

All they had to do was put their foot down on him early on, and cut the other backup QB instead of King.

Even now, I don't think many teams would pick up Peyton. Peyton's older now, and hasn't shown nearly the resilience that Favre has at this point in his career. I don't think Peyton has more than three years left in him right now.

That's why I didn't say now, I said a few years ago. 
Whenever his last contract was up, he probably would have bailed if Indianapolis hadn't been willing to give him everything he wanted.  Plus, I'm pretty sure Dungy was the only coach in Indy that could exert anything even resembling control of him.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Oh I'm sure Dungy was. Peyton doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that listens to outside input very much. (course with as much as he's been hit in the head it is entirely possible he just can't comprehend anything but doing what he's been doing since he got there at this point)
Yeah, I'm thinkin' the Browns get swept by the Ravens and take one each from Pittsburgh and Cincy.  Oh, and they'll beat the Colts, too, cuz the Colts are a one man band without that one man right now.

What really pisses me off, though, is the friggin' OSU-Miami game that's coming up.  OSU has players that will still be suspended for that game and a coach and player in the NFL that are still suspended over a scandal that involved some kids selling stuff that was theirs for a grand total of a few grand and some lying - nothing illegal.  Miami's kids?  They took money, booze, drugs, hookers and abortions from this booster that also happened to be the perpetrator of a billion dollar ponzi scheme.  Illegal stuff.  Their punishment?  They had to donate some cash to charity and they got a one game suspension.  How the hell does that add up?  And Oregon?  The team that broke NCAA rules for scouting by having a hired gun acting as a recruiter?  Them and the players that came in because of that little deal?  No action at all.  Nothing.  So yeah, I'm really sick of NCAA football.  It's a buncha crap. 

Section Six Soldier

Nah, the browns Fail is so bad that once the Ravens see it it'll catch and contaminate them. It's an evil plan you see.

Tampa also looked utterly pathetic. I can't wait till we Faceroll them. 
The article is completely true. The reason why Indy is rudderless now is because there has rarely been a QB who knows football as well as Manning does. Manning knows his offense better than most (if not all) of the coaches on the team. Not to mention that he is one of the few QBs where a suggestion of plays aren't ssent in to the QB by radio. When he was playing, he made the calls, for better or for worse.

Players on the Colts didn't have to fit into the Colt system, they had to fit into Manning's system, and woe betide the receiver (or, to a lesser extent, TE and RB) who didn't click well with Manning on a personal level.

It sucks that this happened now, because the first couple of weeks of this season, when the defences are still getting in sync, are a great quarterback's dream to play in. Lots of room for some impressive stats to be had (see Rodgers, Brees) and lots of room for OK QBs to look really good (Newton).