Shift vs Scuttle

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
On an initial readthrough, it seems the only difference between these two is that scuttle lets a creature move through enemy creatures, and that some powers prevent shifting but not scuttling (and I'm not sure if this last is intentional or just an oversight - I can't see why a pinning shot would prevent shifting but not scuttling, though I guess it makes sense in the case of Web).

Wouldn't it be simpler to remove scuttling, and just give the creatures with scuttle an inherent ability to shift, along with an ability to move through enemy creatures? Seems like this would be more modular for future creatures (who may have the ability to move through opponents but not "shift").
As written a creature would need shift to move through a creature's space regardless, since your speed is reduced to 1 when adjacent to an enemy creature and you can't stop moving in a creature's space; a creature that had the ability to move through an opponent but didn't have shift would never be able to use it. Given that, scuttle seems a sensible way to save space rather than having to specify 2 abilities every time you use it on a card.
Which brings up another point - normal movement has two restrictions:

1. When you start your movement adjacent to an enemy your speed is reduced to 1.

2. When you move adjacent to an enemy, you must stop your movement.

As currently written, both shift and scuttle negate the second restriction, but not the first - is this intentional, or should they also negate the first restriction? This could be a point of distinction, as I imagine shift should, but perhaps scuttle shouldn't?

Edit:

It all has to do with your speed. The spiders are scuttling their speed. If they start that scuttle movement adjacent to an enemy, their speed is 1. Same thing with a shift. If a card says shift 3, you can shift out of that "engagement". But if a card says shift your speed, your speed is one when the card was played, so you can only shift 1.

Chris Dupuis Tabletop Games Designer Dungeons & Dragons Twitter: gameguruchris
Been thinking on it, and is there a reason scuttle doesn't read:
When you move a creature with Scuttle you can shift it up to a number of squares equal to its speed, and the creature can move through enemy creatures.

Seems clear and you don't end up with two rules that both do the same thing (negating the same movement restriction)?
Been thinking on it, and is there a reason scuttle doesn't read:
When you move a creature with Scuttle you can shift it up to a number of squares equal to its speed, and the creature can move through enemy creatures.

Seems clear and you don't end up with two rules that both do the same thing (negating the same movement restriction)?

I agree!  I can't believe I forgot to write this down in my notes after playing tonight as it was a five minute discussion where we ruled that it would negate both 1 and 2 and that seemed to be the point of the power.
What Chris says should be as we should read it. If may need to be changed, though. Things are going to get mighty stationary otherwise and some powers become totally pointless.

I dont know, only the spiders scuttle so it made sense to me.