09/07/2011 BoaB: "Curse of Stalked Prey"

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I'd say the deck is good, but I'd switch Origin Spellbomb for Tempered Steel and the Glint Hawks for Ornithopters or something.

The enchantment is pretty cool, I think the best curse shown so far. 

I'd say the deck is good, but I'd switch Origin Spellbomb for Tempered Steel and the Glint Hawks for Ornithopters or something.

Deck is built to be legal after roation, so no Thopter.

As for the Tempered Steel suggestion, this is more or less a Tempered Steel deck running a lot of the same creatures that deck runs. However, seeing this make me wonder if their is a reasonable way to work this into the deck since it will loss Steel Overseer come October.  

Regardless, it is a cool card, and hopefully a good sign for the other curses we'll be getting.

As for the Tempered Steel suggestion, this is more or less a Tempered Steel deck running a lot of the same creatures that deck runs. However, seeing this make me wonder if their is a reasonable way to work this into the deck since it will loss Steel Overseer come October.  

Regardless, it is a cool card, and hopefully a good sign for the other curses we'll be getting.

I forgot they didn't put Thopter in M12.

So I guess I'll have to shell out for a couple of Mox Opals instead, or maybe some Heroes of Oxid Ridge. 
Commenting on the last post there, yeah I think this is tempered steel 2.0 (post steel overseer) and i was thinking about what use would tempered steel be when the overseer goes away, this might be a temp answer I think.
For this deck (and most token-based ones in the upcoming environment, given what we know), this seems like just a worse varient of Tempered Steel.  I'd rather have my 1/1 creatures be 3/3 immediately than 3/3 after they've connected twice.

I forgot they didn't put Thopter in M12.

So I guess I'll have to shell out for a couple of Mox Opals instead, or maybe some Heroes of Oxid Ridge. 

Yea, a lot of people forget that Thopter was given a break.

And yea, Mox Opal would make the red splash a lot easier. And while playing Oxid Ridge might be a bit greedy, I can see it working too. Problem is when you start adding Mox and Hero you are well out of the budet catagory. Even Tempered Steel isn't the most budget friendly card. Still is an interesting avenue to go down for those that have the cash.

Yeah, this is definitely going in my Stonebrow EDH/Commander deck.  Lots of cost effective tramplers.  This could put the game out of reach pretty quickly.
Tempered Steel v 2.0?!  I bet he would say this is completely different, but it really isnt.  Yawn. 
Wouldn't a 4/4 with Double strike attack for 8 not 9?
It hits, gets a counter, then hits again.
Tempered Steel v 2.0?!  I bet he would say this is completely different, but it really isnt.  Yawn. 

What's wrong with the deck? It runs artifact creatures so it's Tempered Steel?
Shrine of Loyal Legions and Curse of the Stalked Prey are making me pretty excited for some Concussive Bolting.
I, for one, can't wait to get a Curse of the Stalked Prey out with an Invisible Stalker out.

It allready has two counters on it which is what makes it a 4/4. 

And how did it get those two counters? It attacked, did first strike damage, got the first counter, then did normal damage and got a second counter.
As a 4/4 this doesn't change. It deals first strike damage, becomes a 5/5, then deals normal damage, becomes a 6/6 It deals 4 damage, then 5 damage, for 9 total.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
*sigh* the readers are impossible to please.  Finally, a deck that can be built for ~$20 and they're crying because $30-$40 worth of Tempered Steel cards aren't in it.

I like it a lot and could see it doing quite well, maybe not highest level in tourneys, but not every budget deck can compete at that level (there's a reason tourney decks cost upwards of $200), and I'm quite fine with taking this to local tourneys and stomping people  
I liked the bit at the end about making friends playing magic.
I, for one, can't wait to get a Curse of the Stalked Prey out with an Invisible Stalker out.

This looks fun.

I wish I had more friends that played Magic so I could go to a pre-release.  I only know one other person and he like me is pretty broke. 

I also wish I didnt have to split my collection between online and paper.  But, I can live since I get to draft online.   

And how did it get those two counters? It attacked, did first strike damage, got the first counter, then did normal damage and got a second counter.
As a 4/4 this doesn't change. It deals first strike damage, becomes a 5/5, then deals normal damage, becomes a 6/6 It deals 4 damage, then 5 damage, for 9 total.

That makes sense now.
Hey, I'm estatic! it gives me two directions to go with TS when rotation comes around. I couldn't be happier.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Ugh! Not another Kuldotha Rebirth deck. Can't that deck just die already?

And this is coming from someone who ran Kuldotha Rebirth for almost an entire year and is just plain sick of playing it and sick of people (incorrectly) saying how "good" the deck is. I can attest to the fact that the deck wins based on luck, not on skill...