How to make enemies provoke OAs?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, here's the problem.

1) I'm using  build like the one in my sig.
2) I'm pretty much hidden all the time (actually, I stop being hidden after making an OA, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff).
3) I have a good MBA, and my striker features both trigger once per *turn*.

All this adds up to the realization - this build should encourage enemies to trigger OAs often. If I can isolate an enemy so that they're forced to either attack me (guess my square) or provoke an OA from me in order to attack someone else, that's a huge leap in practical optimization.

With the right positioning, I might be able to prevent the target from shifting+charging. But it will be hard to pull off.

Is there a better way to accomplish this? Basically, if the target only has one action, is prone, or can't shift, then it shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Currently I have a few tricks, but they're dailies:

1. Assassin poisons. Bloodroot dazes (save ends) as a once-off, while Dark Reaver Powder dazes UEONT on a hit for the whole encounter. For this build that means 2 encounters of easy-daze.

2. Warlock daily. At the moment I'm leading towards Voice of the Dictator. I can force the enemy to provoke each round. It's a little overkill (I don't need to be hidden to benefit from this) but it's still nice.

3. Bloodroot poison and Voice of the Dictator can be essentially doubled in length (albeit split across two targets) using the Warlock encounter 13 Dark Reach of Xevut.

4. Student of the Athanaeum would grant me a second use of the Warlock daily each day.

All in all that's 4 encounters per day where enemies will likely provoke a lot of OAs from me.

But what I really want is a way to do it at will. Any suggestions? 
Your best bet is to end your turn next to them ...hidden. Assuming you have no allies adjacent and they don't make a close attack, you are likely to get an OA.

You can add prescient maneuver to your list..but its not at-will. 
Yeah, that was the main plan - but there's a bit of a hole in it - shift+charge.

Prescient Maneuver seems to shore that hole up quite well.

Can you take Prescient Maneuver twice if you take the Skill Power feat?

Another tactic would be to shun the assassin poisons at late epic tier and pick up 3 dominates or dominate-like abilities:

29: Shadow Puppet (ossassin daily - I would have a crappy attack bonus with this power but I could just wait to roll a 15+ on Keeper's Prescience before I used it. The only annoying thing is level 29 is a long time to wait...)
19: Voice of the Dictator
15: Whispers of the Void

With Student of the Anathaeum and Dark Reach of Xevut, that's 4 encounters per day in which I get 2 save-ends dominates... worth it?
Hmm...  if your a fighter...

stealth fighter... 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Not that it's an option for the build I'm playing, but..

Hmm, an Eladrin Fighter|Warlock might work! Eldritch Strike + Elusive Hexer, mark and hide. You'd miss out on Attack Finesse, but still, could be a pretty funny build.
Mark of Finding.

Hybrid Battlemind for Blurred Step is also an option.
Another option is Flail Expertise, of course. I'd have to drop MC swordmage and DIS from the build however, because neither swordmage MC nor arcane implement prof would get me flails as implements - and I can't MC ossassin to get "all weapons I am proficient with" as implements either as I'm already hybrid executioner. I'd also need to drop Wicked Blade, though no biggie.

If I wanted to keep the heavy blade I could alternatively pick up Overwhelming Critical. With a 28% chance of critting with each attack, it's not too bad. Considered in isolation, Flail Expertise is much better than Overwhelming Critical though.

Lastly, if I had a way of slowing at will, I could use World Serpent's Grasp. There is a Warlock encounter power called Lash of the Long night - it would push 1+int (that's 9 at level 28), and slow (save ends) - rare for an encounter power. Following it up with Eladrin Swordmage advance would make for a nice opener that is repeatable every encounter. You'd have the enemy isolated and prone. You're hidden. And then Dark Reach of Xevut might work to extend it to another enemy once the target saves. That's a bit of an if, though. There has to be an enemy within 3 (which means you shouldn't isolate them too much). Also, the enemy 2's turn might occur between enemy 1's turn and your own turn. Therefore they might potentially save before the slowed effect has any noticeable benefit.

That last trick could potentially be made repeatable with Epic Resurgence and Renewed by Blood. Or I could grab Reserve Maneuver to take Lash of the Long Night twice.
Mark of Finding is *perfect*, as far as I can tell. It's at-will, and perfectly shores up the weakness in the combo. All for the price of one feat. Thanks!

Holy batsauce! Mark of Finding even seems to work against skirmishers with multi-square shift powers... EDIT, actually it doesn't really work as although I'd be able to follow them, unless they move or make a ranged attack I'd never get to make an actual OA against them. So if they were 5 squares away from the closest ally, Mark of Finding would help me if their shift was relatively short (3 or less) but otherwise they'd be ok.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again. The dragonmark feats are rather OP, aren't they?
The best way to generate OAs?  Sorc King pact Warlock with Draji Aspirant.  Once you get bloodied boon, you're going to be augmenting it pretty much at-will.

Of course, without resorting to readied action shenanigans (which will backfire in your face if the DM starts doing the same), you're only going to generate OAs for your allies.

Probably not that useful to you, unless you can talk an ally into taking it. 
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
There *IS* another warlock in my party, actually...
There *IS* another warlock in my party, actually...

It really takes very little setup, and as long as his attack hits, it's guaranteed OAs for everyone adjacent.  Plus, it's almost certain to bloody or kill the enemy, meaning a recharge of the SK boon, if he's got bloodied boon (which he should have regardless).

Without a doubt one of the best feats out there, and one that turns the SK pact boon from underwhelming after about level 5 into a career-long monster. 
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
I shall be suggesting that she take Sorcerer-King for her Twofold Pact option at 11 then :D

SK Pact has one of the better DPR feats warlocks have available to them as well - Mindbite Scorn.

Now I'm wondering whether I should drop something in my build for White Lotus Riposte/Master Riposte.

With Mark of Finding in place, I already have a pretty solid catch-22: Attack me (while hidden my defenses are at defender level - actually better than defender level at epic tier) or try and attack someone else. If all my allies are 2+ squares away, they likely can't get to one of them without triggering an OA from me.

White Lotus Riposte/Master Riposte might be quite effective if enemies typically do choose to attack me. It would mean that regardless of whether they attack me or move, I'll get to make an MBA against them for ~120 damage.

Of course, if I'm *hidden* then there's a good chance they're not going to choose to attack me. If the DM is playing fair then they have to guess the square I'm in. So in reality, WLMR might not come into play that often. 
There's an ED that provokes OAs every time an enemy moves next to you. Dunno what level you are looking at though.
A DSCS theme power can provoke OAs. Very much worth a shot.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
There's an ED that provokes OAs every time an enemy moves next to you. Dunno what level you are looking at though.

Which one is it?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Which one is it?

Hmm, I looked over the EDs I thought I'd looked over, but it looks like I may be confusing it with Rock Tree Rage, which does exactly that.

Quite good with knockback swing and polearm momentum with a gouge.
1/enc you can punish a shift with Battle Awareness. But you'd have to drop your current MC.
Yeah, Battle Awareness is awesome. Though it has my two dump stats as prereqs

Cha/Int seems to work OK for the most part for this build but it limits feat choices!