Changeling Artificer

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I created a Changeling Artificer and need a backstory. I know that I will not be telling the rest of my party that I am a changeling, or that I am actually chaotic Evil/ Unalligned. My character is definitely someone who uses the shape changing to his advantage. I also know he was abandoned as a child. I was also thinking that he hates everyone, to the point of getting involved in a plot to destroy them all. What do you think? Can you guys help? All advice would be awesome.
Evil is always hard to do, especially when it brings you to odds against your party. That said, lets have some fun with this.

Arthur always knew he was smarter than the other boys in his neighborhood growing up. Sure, they could swing a sword and dance with the girls and their smiles didnt seem to resemble an open slit in a gray rubber ball, but that never mattered much. Did it?

Arthur showed his vast intelligence by being accepted into the artificer's college he had worked so hard to get into. Did he have the highest marks on his entry exams? Maybe not. Who knows these things. Did that other neighborhood boy, what was it the girls called him, ("Handsome Joe"?) fully outshine Arthur in most ways dealing with artifice and arcane? Some may have said that, sure, but Handsome Joe never showed up when it was time to be whisked away to the college and if Arthur just so happened to be ready to go, who would ever have known the difference? It may have helped that Arthur MAY have born a passing resemblance to Joe at the time, but such speculation is better dealt with by those with too much time on their hands.

Arthur found it tough to be accepted in his school at first, but the other students seemed to come around. After all, armed with a handsome face now opened a lot of doors for him there and any door found closed to him would quickly be opened for, say, another more promising member in his graduating class. More promising is of course one of those terms the uninformed would use. Who is more promising than Arthur, who is not only smarter than those around him but proves it by being a better version of themselves? Sure, some of those students ahead of him didnt quite make it through graduation, some having being kicked out after displaying radical behavior unseen before or after by those students again, but thse things are bound to happen? Arthur just pressed forward, as he always did.

All good things of course must come to an end, but when Arthur left his college (amusingly at the same time a headmaster showed up with his throat cut and his prized magical crossbow prototype missing. That place really was falling to shambles) he left with high hopes. Armed with a menagerie of self made (or at the very least self obtained) items, Arthur met up with an adventuring troupe to try his hand at a new vocation and....perhaps.....a start at a few new lives.
I was also thinking that he hates everyone, to the point of getting involved in a plot to destroy them all.

What you are describing is a villain, not a PC.  Start over.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I was also thinking that he hates everyone, to the point of getting involved in a plot to destroy them all.

What you are describing is a villain, not a PC.  Start over.

The two are not mutually exclusive.
Just make sure that, while you won't tell their characters about your intent, you DO tell your fellow players and make sure they're okay with this.
Because your character's motivations have a high chance to disrupt fun for the others.
It's also probably a good idea to leave room for change in his personality and motivations, so if after one or two sessions the group finds out they do not like what your character brings you can avoid having to come up with an entirely new character.
I just thought it would be a good plot device, you know? LIke they are in a town, and he has to slip away. Or maybe in a fight he lets an arrow fly in the wrong direction. You know that old saying "Chaotic Neutral. It makes firing into a crowd more fun". What I am trying to portray is, much like the suggestions provided, he has has a sucky life and though it has come to hat all people. They have done nothing but hate him. So why should he be nice. Maybe he met a group of other changelings a little more radical than himself. Maybe, he got involved with a plot to destroy or take over the kingdom. He probably thinks it's a good idea, he'll get all that he wants. But maybe his party shows him another side to the world. Besides where is the fun in being a good changeling?

Just some thoughts what do you think?
I just thought it would be a good plot device, you know? LIke they are in a town, and he has to slip away. Or maybe in a fight he lets an arrow fly in the wrong direction.

Because there is no "friendly fire" in 4E

You know that old saying "Chaotic Neutral. It makes firing into a crowd more fun".

Because there is no Chaotic Neutral in 4E

What I am trying to portray is, much like the suggestions provided, he has has a sucky life and though it has come to hat all people. They have done nothing but hate him. So why should he be nice. Maybe he met a group of other changelings a little more radical than himself. Maybe, he got involved with a plot to destroy or take over the kingdom. He probably thinks it's a good idea, he'll get all that he wants. But maybe his party shows him another side to the world.

It might make a good starting point, but don't be "that guy." You know the one. Every gaming group has horror stories about the guy who derails every campaign they are in by being a total jerk and then claiming he was "just role-playing."

This:

has "that guy" written all over it.

If you are actually planning to have this as a starting point, and having his experiences with the party broaden his horizons and soften his extremism, GREAT! Go with it.

If you are actually planning to betray and destroy the party at some point in the campaign, you are definitely being "that guy." In my experience, after a few campaign derails and TPKs, "that guy" doesn't get invited into new campaigns with that group and needs to find new people to role-play with if he wants to role-play at all.

Besides where is the fun in being a good changeling?

Because "d-bag Changeling" is just as much a cliche as "kleptomaniac Thief", "alcoholic Dwarf" or "effeminate Elf".

You say cliche like its a bad thing. Maybe the idea of a "dbag" changeling isn't fun to play for you, and I respect that, but I kinda like the idea. I mean he has been stepped on his whole life by everyone just for the way he was born, if that was you you'd be a "dbag" too.

But on another note, I don't know if this question should go here, but If I want to keep my party in the dark about me being a changeling, and I want to change form, how should i go about it. I don't even want the players out of character to know I am a changeling. The DM says I can just tell them I am hujman. But if I want to like change form how should i handle this metawise i guess.
Find reasons to walk away, notes to the DM, "cast a spell" etc
You say cliche like its a bad thing. Maybe the idea of a "dbag" changeling isn't fun to play for you, and I respect that, but I kinda like the idea. I mean he has been stepped on his whole life by everyone just for the way he was born, if that was you you'd be a "dbag" too.

Like I said, if this is meant to be a starting point, and you expect the character's worldview to soften, I think it would be good. If you are actually planning to betray the rest of the party, don't expect the other players to like you or your character.

But on another note, I don't know if this question should go here, but If I want to keep my party in the dark about me being a changeling, and I want to change form, how should i go about it. I don't even want the players out of character to know I am a changeling. The DM says I can just tell them I am hujman. But if I want to like change form how should i handle this metawise i guess.

With players who have a reasonable handle on the metagame, you are going to have a very difficult time keeping them in the dark about being a Changeling (or, I should say, about not being the race you are pretending to be).

Your best bet is to pretend to be a Human Wizard (but actually choose Mage), and burn a Feat on Ritual Casting. You can say that your third At-Will is Magic Missle, and then the other players will never be wondering why you don't have a third At-Will and never use Heroic Effort.

As an Artificer, this kind of deception is going to be very difficult against players who have some knowledge of the system and of character creation.