ABCs of Strikers!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Iv been play 4e since it started but Iv had to play Non-striker roles to fill gaps for so long now, I cant work out where best to start when building Strikers. I get halfway through making them and give up.

So what are some basic guidlines for making decent Strikers, mainly looking at Barbarians, non-hexblade Warlocks, charging Fighters, sneaky Rogues and Beast Rangers.

Anything from how people approch making a new striker to what options are open and paths to take for these style of strikers would be greatly appreshiated!
Jenov Dwarven Fighter "None shall come ta harm while ah still have breath in ma lungs!"
General advice:

• You as a player need to learn how to discern which of your enemies is the best target. Basically you're looking for the monster that is the most threatening and the least durable. Artillery and Controllers before Soldiers, and Standards before Solos.

• Your character needs to be able easily engage high priority targets despite interference from terrain and low priority targets.

• Your character needs to be able to generate an extremely large of damage in a single round- this should be anywhere from 3 to 10 times what your character can do in one round without expending resources- without spending more than one daily power.

• Your character should be able to generate relatively high amount of damage every round without expending resources. In terms of minimum DPR at the middle of each tier, think 20/40/70.

• Your character needs to be able to survive focus fire from the enemy, either by durability (Barbarian's defender hp and decent defenses) or by avoiding attack (attacking at range).

Class advice (vague and unhelpful):

• Barbarians charge- MC Fighter+Surprising Charge with a Gouge or Greatspear is the usual method. Very fun.

• Warlocks must be finely optimized to be competitive. Mindbite Scorn+Killing Curse keeps them decent in heroic tier, but they can't really nova- they sort of have to use controller powers to shut down high priority targets on demand.

• Charging Fighters are like Charging Barbarians except that they're Defenders.

• Sneaky Rogues don't spend much time actually sneaking in combat. If you try too hard, you'll end up wasting resources you should have spent on being able to deal more damage. Look for Minor action attacks to beef up your nova.

• Beast Rangers who aren't awful are Archers who don't take any beast powers, and use a hawk to Quarry ideal targets without having to get close to melee. All other Beast Rangers are bad.

Be on skype some point this evening and I can give you some pointers.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
xD Dur ask the party mincing machine! Should have thought of that =P

Got a D&Dbasics game tonight so will be a bit after 10 if thats alright?

Anyone else with tips and stuff about how they do it, please keep them coming!
Jenov Dwarven Fighter "None shall come ta harm while ah still have breath in ma lungs!"
Join the CharOp IRC as well; we generally discuss new and interesting combinations. The link is at the top of the beginner's guide to char op thread. E.g. this morning I overheard a chance remark and found a way to upgrade my 5000 damage nova to a nigh infinite nova.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
This may be more general advice, but stack untyped bonuses. Once you cover race, feat, item, enhancement, expertise/focus, class and power, you've just reached low optimized. Check out aim to please - that was an exercise in finding every source of untyped bonus to attack and combining them for a +54 to hit.

That said, try to remember balance. If your rogue can punch god in the face but has 100hp and 33ac at level 30, he's not doing anything useful.
But also remember party balance as well as individual balance. Your defender should be sufficiantly distracting the god to allow the rogue to stab him in the nadgers with all the force he can muster. If the god does get a few blows into the rogue, that is when the leader comes into his fore etc...
All the enemies:Your targets

Blades:or hammers and axe etc. Your tool

Crits:All day baby!
I thought ABC stood for "Always Be Charging".
Allies Buff Chargers!
One of the main pitfalls the first timers stumble on is too much optimization for damage.

A couple more damage may seem all good and fine, it is of no use if you can't attack(prone, daze/stun, immobile, even die).

You better take some defensive feats and gears over fancy-looking damage-boosters. Not all. But you do need some.
My DPR King Candidates thread gives some good pointers and builds to cherry pick from.  A measure of DPR effectiveness is in my sig.  If at first you think that doing 4d8+15 damage on a hit is ridiculous amounts of damage, instead look at the big picture and calculate your expected damage versus an equal level monster and how many rounds it takes to take him down.  This gives a much better idea of how well you do as a damage dealer.
My thread does not focus on general non-damaging specs.  
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Sign In to post comments