What cards does your playgroup house-ban?

115 posts / 0 new
Last post
For those who don't know, a house ban is where a group of players decide indepenently that a card should be banned (and ban it from their group).



I was really disappointed when my Sisay deck wasn't allowed to play Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger or Praetor's Council, as well as emrakul (i'm sure they have, although I don't actually know, so I took him out.).

In response, I just put in Tooth and Nail, Defence of the Heart Iona, Shield of Emeria and Painter's Servant. That'll show them who's imba...
we banned Luminarch Ascension in my group, although I kinda wish we hadnt. People would complain that they couldnt do anything about it. Seeing that it is an enchantment, this would be difficult for black and red decks specifically to deal with. Although I dont understand why green and white players werent packing Disenchant effects.

BTW: Emrakul is on the official banned list.
We use the offical banned list. There's nothing we have banned on our own, if you can't deal with something like Vorinclex at our table you'll be dead from many other things first most likely.

                                                                                                                                                                                        <----- Loser.

When I said emrakul, I meant Ulamog and Kozilek. Nobody likes playing against emrakul...
On the other hand, Painter's Servant is banned, so I would cut that if I were you.

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many
Casually, we don't allow Riku of Two Reflections as a commander. When it gets serious, though, we just use the official banned list.
We don't have any hard ban rules, but it's strongly discouraged for people to do anything that sets everyone else back substantially or that prevents people from doing things and that doesn't actively improve the board state of the person using that effect. For example, Obliterate is basically fine if you're going to win the game shortly after resolving it, but don't use it just because you're losing or if you plan on it paying off three hours from now. 

Top-tier, very repetitive, or lockdown-based generals are also discouraged in the interest of keeping the game fresh, but again, are not actually banned. If you show up with a Jhoira or Zur or Hokori deck we'll probably humor you and play against it occasionally, but after that it's probably best that you put it away and pick a different deck. 
Play EDH? Interested in trying EDH? Want ideas for new and exciting generals? Have certain colors in mind for your next deck, but haven't picked a general yet? Boy have I got the thread for you! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22946049/Comprehensive_Index_of_Generals
Casually, we don't allow Riku of Two Reflections as a commander. When it gets serious, though, we just use the official banned list.



I'd hate to play in that play group honestly.  Riku does so many things that  to me at least seem like the core of EDH.  It lets me double cast all of my big fun splashy spells.  Is it fairly abuseable? Of course, but its a tremendously fun card to play with.
life from the loam and sensei's divining top; although, I don't really understand the reasoning behind it.  Actually, we use alternate rules for the top.  If you're going to use the first ability, you must use it at your first available opportunity.  If your library then gets shuffled, then you may rearrange the top 3 for free.
Most house rules I have come across ban mass land destruction cards such as Sundering Titan .   A lot of groups will also ban cards such as Mindslaver .  I've also heard of Identity Crisis being banned from groups.  Really anything that is not fun to play against or is just straight up too powerful tend to be banned.
We don't house-ban anything. And been thinking of taking a few of the banned cards off our list.
Nothing is explicitly banned, above and beyond the CRC banned list, but there are a couple of cards that are socially discouraged.  Erayo and Hokori as Generals are the two I can think of.  I told my son that i wouldn't play against a deck that had either it as a general, and the most active people in the league have said how much they hate them as generals.  The result is that so far no one has tried to push people's good will so far that we have to enact a formal ban.
There's no hard-ban on any specific card, but theres a general understanding that our games are supposed to be fun, so we discourage certain strategies, like mass land destruction.  Spot removal is fine, even repeatable, but nothing that destroys all lands.
Also, we play with modified rules for some cards.  For example, Sorin Markov's 2nd ability - we change it so it changes a player's life total to 20 instead of 10 - we chose 20 because 20 is half you're starting life, like 10 is half your starting life in a regular game.  Anything that has a static life-total number on the card is adjusted to function with a 40 life starting total.  This includes Serra Ascendant and Felidar Sovereign -- not that we have any particular issue with those cards, but because we wanted a standard rule for all cards in this category, instead of a "if this ever happens with this one card, this is what we do' explanation whenever a new person joins the group.
There's no hard-ban on any specific card, but theres a general understanding that our games are supposed to be fun, so we discourage certain strategies, like mass land destruction.  Spot removal is fine, even repeatable, but nothing that destroys all lands.
Also, we play with modified rules for some cards.  For example, Sorin Markov's 2nd ability - we change it so it changes a player's life total to 20 instead of 10 - we chose 20 because 20 is half you're starting life, like 10 is half your starting life in a regular game.  Anything that has a static life-total number on the card is adjusted to function with a 40 life starting total.  This includes Serra Ascendant and Felidar Sovereign -- not that we have any particular issue with those cards, but because we wanted a standard rule for all cards in this category, instead of a "if this ever happens with this one card, this is what we do' explanation whenever a new person joins the group.



Ugh..my buddy tries to get our group to do that with life totals...and its total BS in my mind.  He just whines so much about how 'unfair' it is.  I mean thats what the cards do.  Its like saying Insurrection should only affect one opponent since it wasnt made with multiplayer in mind or some BS. 

Our group doesnt ban anything.  With just 'reward' things we dont like with swift beatdowns
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Most of the stuff my play group "bans" are not cards but jerky combos, like Curiosity in a Niv-mizzet deck.
None. We've never house banned anything, and often allow cards on the banned list to be played. What we do is decide not to play a card if it proves unfun. We did that with Emrakul before he was banned. If a new player showed up with emrakul, no big deal. We'd use suggestion and mild social pressure to correct any issues with that player (note that simply playing a banned or previously "unfun' card doesn't automatically mean there are issues)- but we never force someone to stop playing something.

3DH4LIF3

Most house rules I have come across ban mass land destruction cards such as Sundering Titan .   A lot of groups will also ban cards such as Mindslaver .  I've also heard of Identity Crisis being banned from groups.  Really anything that is not fun to play against or is just straight up too powerful tend to be banned.


lol, you're kidding right?
Most house rules I have come across ban mass land destruction cards such as Sundering Titan .   A lot of groups will also ban cards such as Mindslaver .  I've also heard of Identity Crisis being banned from groups.  Really anything that is not fun to play against or is just straight up too powerful tend to be banned.


lol, you're kidding right?



unfortunately no. Most house bans are going to seem unreasonable. I've come across a group that had Seedborn Muse banned.

3DH4LIF3

I find house bans stupid most the time, I mean if your losing that badly to Seedborn Muse then it's time to pack some removal in your deck.

Cheers

                                                                                                                                                                                        <----- Loser.

Our store follows the normal banned list, and added Karn Liberated and Shahrazad to the list. I don't really like the Karn part as I have one and probably wouldn't play him anywhere else outside of commander. We also frown on mass land destruction. We frown on infinite combo's as well, but its happened enough times now that we know the people who do it, and we know to keep an answer open usually.
My group has not banned anything formally, and I don't think we ever will. However, each of us knows that if we pull out a super-powerful deck, we're likely to activate the Wonder Twin powers of the other players, who will stop fighting for a bit in order to not die to the uber-deck. For instance, a guy in my group used to like the idea of a five-color Sliver deck, with Sliver Overlord as the commander. Then he found out it was an incredible aggro magnet for the rest of us, because we knew that if it ever went off even a little bit, the game was over. =D
I've been playing Commander 1-on-1 events for the past nine months with the official banlist and nobody in my meta complained. Well, maybe poison is a little bit unfair in 1-on-1, but adapting is quite easy, so we still allow it, at regular 10 poison counters to seal the deal.
My EDH decks: Azusa, Lost but Seeking
there is a guy in my play group that, when he plays, we have to ban Kaalia of the Vast as a general...otherwise he cries...a lot...Oh and Sorin Markov and Magister Sphinx 

It's kind of lame really...
Kaalia of the Vast? Tell him to stop being such a bitch or you will stop playing with him.
Our store follows the normal banned list, and added Karn Liberated and Shahrazad to the list. I don't really like the Karn part as I have one and probably wouldn't play him anywhere else outside of commander. We also frown on mass land destruction. We frown on infinite combo's as well, but its happened enough times now that we know the people who do it, and we know to keep an answer open usually.



And this is because the store owners want to go home at a reasonable time, not due to the cards being to powerful or unfun... I am just assuming this is the case, as it is in the store I play at. Perhaps the same one lol.
Our store follows the normal banned list, and added Karn Liberated and Shahrazad to the list. I don't really like the Karn part as I have one and probably wouldn't play him anywhere else outside of commander. We also frown on mass land destruction. We frown on infinite combo's as well, but its happened enough times now that we know the people who do it, and we know to keep an answer open usually.



And this is because the store owners want to go home at a reasonable time, not due to the cards being to powerful or unfun... I am just assuming this is the case, as it is in the store I play at. Perhaps the same one lol.


I think the only spell that would cause me to gather up my cards and leave on the spot is Shahrazad.  It is flavorful, and cleverly designed, but is absolutly stupid to play with.  I have no interest in taking a game that easily can last 2hrs, and then adding a subgame in the middle of it.  I have zero interest in that kind of asshatery.
well at least sharazard is banned.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Sahrazhad reads to me to be "pay half your life; shuffle your library". Go-go insta-concede.
You can always just concede the subgame and lose half your life.
there is a guy in my play group that, when he plays, we have to ban Kaalia of the Vast as a general...otherwise he cries...a lot...Oh and Sorin Markov and Magister Sphinx 

It's kind of lame really...




I lol'd so f***ing hard right now. Kaalia.....?!?
I think the only spell that would cause me to gather up my cards and leave on the spot is Shahrazad.  It is flavorful, and cleverly designed, but is absolutly stupid to play with.  I have no interest in taking a game that easily can last 2hrs, and then adding a subgame in the middle of it.  I have zero interest in that kind of asshatery.



  I'd simply concede half my life if I couldn't convince the table to use a randomizer.  I only play paper and if someone owns one then I'll deal.
Currently in the deck box: Ashling the Pilgrim Horde of Notions Merieke Ri Berit Lin Sivvi Ertai,the Corrupted Riku of Two Reflections Sliver Overlord In Progress: Garza Zol Thraximundar
My group generally finds the current banned list works extremely well.  The only house bans we have ever had was a ban on Shazarad (we all premptively aggreed that it made games tedious, so we banned it just to keep a griefer deck from running it) and Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, and both of those are now officially banned.  The current list works extremely well.  
Thr issue with shahrazad isn't the subgame, its all the other subgames on the stack waiting for you when you get back to the main game. Its the shahrazad + hivemind or other copy effects that got it banned.

3DH4LIF3

Something else that certain people don't like for me to play in EDH are Timesifter and Dovescape. They don't ban them by any means, but when either of them hits the field, a few people just scoop...
Something else that certain people don't like for me to play in EDH are Timesifter and Dovescape. They don't ban them by any means, but when either of them hits the field, a few people just scoop...

Your group would love my Shirei deck, and my Child deck for that matter. A few games against either of those and they would beg you to play Kaalia and Timeshifter.
Something else that certain people don't like for me to play in EDH are Timesifter and Dovescape. They don't ban them by any means, but when either of them hits the field, a few people just scoop...

Your group would love my Shirei deck, and my Child deck for that matter. A few games against either of those and they would beg you to play Kaalia and Timeshifter.


ha probably.

I always hate seeing Goblin Game, Knowledge Pool and Eye of the Storm just for the sheer amount of tom-foolery that is about to happen. 
No housebans in my playgroup I can think off. But then again there was no Sharazad deck yet.
IMAGE(http://www.projektstarwars.de/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16432&dateline=1299412590) Fallen Star Verlag Play Legacy! Decks: Legacy Natural Order/Hulk EDH Iname, Death Aspect / Rosheen Meanderer Casual Elves! I petition for the removal of the mythic rarity.
Something else that certain people don't like for me to play in EDH are Timesifter and Dovescape. They don't ban them by any means, but when either of them hits the field, a few people just scoop...


a buddy in my group runs Timesifter, and it can be really rough... especially when he has a Sensei's Top in play.
My playgroup doesn't have any house bans, but as long as we're talking pet peeves, I find the swords rather annoying. And I guess their little brother. Mostly because artifact removal is less common than creature removal, and thye just come down and pretty much insta win. Which I know is a tad scrubbish of me, but eh, it's a personal thing, and it's not like I ban people from using them, I just don't like em personally. 
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Good equipment can certainly change the game. I have a love/hate relationship with darksteel plate.

3DH4LIF3

There's quite a bit of blue combo in my group so we've taken out Blightsteel Collosus. Bribery into some sort of rite of replication. It just doesn't seem nice when you're swinging to end the game with poison damage. (though infect kills do happen on other stuff) While not banned per say, most of us have removed our Blightsteels from our decks.


The extra game from Karn has never hit our group, however a few guys have the card in their decks.

There's an Iona kicking around, but the player who uses it is kind enough to remove it from his deck if someone at the table is playing mono colour.

Most of us counter power with serious group hate, so people are pretty weary when they lay down some sort of "questionable" card.

According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.