[Discussion] Pro Tour Philadelphia

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sooo, we have a Top 8, and as predicted, it's fairly combo heavy (Higher seeds listed first, will have play/draw option)
Top 8

| Pyromancer's vs Red Affinity
-|
 | Pyromancer's vs Splinter Twin

| Breach Post vs Infect
-|
 | Zoo vs Splinter Twin

Other talking points

Love Janse (Of shark hat fame) DQ'ed for intentionally ignoring rules to gain an advantage (Fraud)

Sam Black starts 2-2-1 with Infect, goes 10-2 the rest of the way to make top 8

scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
Only one zoo list and all the combo decks are different so while you need removal to answer a splinter twin it's not going to strop pyro and vice versa.

Time to start devoitng your entire sideboard to all the different combo decks while still packing enough removal to beat zoo.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I was surprised at the DQ.
All this comborificness is insane.  I find it interesting that WotC failed at their goal of stopping combos that win before turn 4.  The infect combo deck wins on turn 2 or 3.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
I hope this doesn't mean we're going to see a sudden explosion of Infect decks. While they aren't that hard to disrupt (any removal in multiples, well placed counter spells, or Melira decks), I run 12-Post and Infect has been my worst match up so far. I need more Chalice of the Void or Trinisphere.
I was surprised at the DQ.
All this comborificness is insane.  I find it interesting that WotC failed at their goal of stopping combos that win before turn 4.  The infect combo deck wins on turn 2 or 3.

I may be too early to tell since the draft portion makes top8 results unreliable. Just by looking to the combo lists, however, it's clear that those are capable of consistent turn 3 kills with the ocassional turn 2 win. A second round of adjustments should be on the way, since the turn 4 goal is worth accomplishing: The way I see it, these could be the changes:

Unbanned (not that they are too crucial, but getting some cards back will help to keep the whining low):

Ancestral visions. Cloudpost decks are still good enough to keep control in check and extra cards won't be a problem since they still be lacking answers.
Mental misstep (unlike Legacy, onedrops shouldn't be defining Modern and neither of the top decks actually relies on key one drops too much).

Banned:

Rite of flame. This is the most explosive of the rituals and the one whose draws enable turn two kills. Without it, ritual storm decks are far more fair.
Pyromancer ascencion. The most debatable, I think the format doesn't benefit of it at all. It doesn't have any fair uses here, and it is the card breaking all that otherwise silly one mana cantripping.
Deceiver exarch. Even if combo is weakened, the Exarch - Pestermite - Twin - Kikijiki combination seems to be strictly better than any other possible control endgame. Although banning the 4 cards would be overkill, exarch is the only putting it over the top with its high toughness. Without it, it is far less consistent and people would be searching other stuff.

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
No, you actually just unban misstep if Combo becomes totally defining. Most combo decks are totally reliant on Rite of Flame, and it gives Control a slight chance vs Zoo.

Banning Rite of Flame seems like a kneejerk reaction.
Banning Pyromancer's Ascension, a Turn 3 combo at best, seems less then ideal. Pyromancer's Ascension has actually done nothing broken in the span of its inception, and its easily hated out with things like Krosan Grip, Nature's Claim, Disenchant, etc.
Banning Deciever Exarch seems like a kneejerk.

Combo will always seem "imbalanced" if combo's off turn 2-3. I'm sorry but it just happens. Unbanning Mental Misstep is one of the ways to not get entire base archetypes [U/R Combo] banned, but also keeping Combo in check. The combo decks won't have too much space for Mental Misstep [besides Splinter Twin, but really?] and in reality, if you were to ban splinter twin components, why not just ban Twin/Kiki itself? 
Photobucket
The only un-banning that's even remotely possibly at this point is ancestral visions. The modern combo strength presents only half of a problem for WotC, and I'll explain that.

Combo is easily hateable, but only efficiently for blue, since it has access to spell pierce and dispel. Thoughtsieze also goes a long way, but it's less than ideal. The real issue is that R&D doesn't want the combo solution to force every deck to splash blue just for cheap countermagic. When your on the draw, sometimes even an Ethersworn Canonist isn't enough, while red- and green-based decks are stuck sitting on their hands in regards to combo interaction.

This is what I expect to see in coming down R&D's pipeline - A colorless or red-based answer to combo decks. They're already testing the waters with stuff like Chaos Warp and Stranglehold, and I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see those spells suddenly show up as 2-cmc creatures in the near future, with the Chaos-warp-on-a-stick not being able to target lands.

Photobucket
Twin is easy to stop on paper, and the lack of people playing mindbreak trap for storm and pyromancer decks is absolutely jaw-dropping. 

So yes, if you don't run combo stoppers, you can't stop combo :o ! WEIRD!!1!
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Twin is easy to stop on paper, and the lack of people playing mindbreak trap for storm and pyromancer decks is absolutely jaw-dropping. 

Mindbreak doesn't really stop something like living end (which actually saw a significant portion of the field) or the mono-blue infect. The other issue is that dedicating 12 of your sideboard slots to beating combo means that you better have an AMAZING maindeck against 12-post and zoo.

12-post definitely revealed itself as a mediocre deck, which a lot of people fail to realize when they look at the MTGO dailies. 4 rounds isn't 8 rounds, and never will be. I am legitimately surprised at the zoo lists not packing enough blue though. CFB's crew saw the need for anti-combo tech in a zoo list, but it looks like most people still thought burnwillows/punishing fire was somehow a good idea against combo decks and the mirror /mindboggle.

Photobucket
there were six living end decks...out of 400... 3 made day 2

granted it was more popular on MTGO (because it's cheap as hell) 

I'm not saying run it mainboard, but while you should be planning for a Post/Zoo/Twin meta, Pyromancer and Storm shouldn't catch you by suprise if you've been tracking the format, and devoting 2 or 3 sideboard slots to them shouldn't be hard

scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
Honestly, I think a simple and effective way to deal with a wide collection of decks would be to use Chalice of the Void and to a lesser extent Trinisphere. Just taking a look at what is stopped by Chalice of the Void when X equals # gives a decent indication as to its potential in sideboards.

X = CMC 0:

Mainly Living End. Since cascade casts the spell and Living End has a converted mana cost of 0, you can simply plop a Chalice of the Void down onto the battlefield your first turn for free and sit back knowing that outside of some sort of removal, you've pretty much neutered their deck.

X = CMC 1:

Zoo, Pyromancer, Splintertwin, and Infect. While paying for X = 2 would probably be a better choice against some of these depending upon the build (Zoo), this does a wonderful job against anything that relies on being able to Preordain, Ponder, Serum Visions, or Gitaxian Probe through itself. As an added benefit, it also protects itself from Shattering Spree. No such luck with Ancient Grudge.

X = CMC 2:

This is probably the last major one you'll be aiming for. It takes out Tarmogoyf, Dark Confidant, several counter spells, Punishing Fire, Pyromancer Ascension, Blazing Shoal. The nice thing here is that it also deals with quite a few of the commonly used artifact hate cards.

Anyway, I'll use three or four in my 12-Post sideboard, since it's not hard to generate mana for it and there aren't many low cost spells that I wouldn't be able to play because of it. I'm not sure it fits well anywhere else but it's an option if the environment becomes saturated with combo decks.
Without artifact mana like in legacy (No mox diamond, chrome mox is banned) chalice of the void is too slow, you can't drop a chalice for 1 until turn 2 and on the draw thats too slow, because there are turn 2 kill decks like this (www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...).

Thorn of amethyst has the exact same problem.

I've played legacy Goblins for years which has always been week to fast combo decks, the best answer is Mindbreak trap but thats extrememly narrow and only hits storm based combo, does nothing to splinter twin decks.

The problem is that there is no control decks to keep the combo in check.

Look at the legacy metagame, in general: Aggro > Control, Control > Combo and Combo > Aggro. With the bannings for modern as they are control gets short end of the stick.

In my opinion what wizards needs to do is unban Mental Misstep and sensei's divining top which will make Counterbalance a real deck and gives you a genuine control deck, this will never happen though because wizards hates Div Top.

How does mindbreak trap work vs stormand pyromancer decks. Im still confused how this card works and how it works vs these decks

How does mindbreak trap work vs stormand pyromancer decks. Im still confused how this card works and how it works vs these decks

Storm, and Pyromancer decks by extension, make use of cards that have storm (kind of obvious) such as Grapeshot or Empty the Warrens as their win conditions. Because they also rely on casting multiple spells in a turn in order to build up a large storm count, they will always have cast three or more spells when they try to go off. So you can respond to them casting one of their win conditions by casting Mindbreak Trap for , exiling all their spells and saving you.
Solution to control being unviable: Ban Emrakul. Unban Visions.

Oh, and unban Bitterblossom. Seriously. Why was that card on the ban list?

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Seems like Counter-cat is good, no?
8 copies of the deck at 18 points +

EDIT: Splinter Twin wins the protour. 
Photobucket

Bitterblossom can't be unbanned, as long as it produces faeries. The synergy with spellstutter and mistbind is what causes Fae to have such a suppressing effect on meta diversity.

I could see them banning emrakul, just to make it easier for people to use instant speed removal against the breach/vengeance decks.

Photobucket
On a side note, Arena is a pretty nice piece of tech that came out of PT Philly, for Splinter Twin.
Photobucket
What makes me worry about modern is the fact there was zero pure aggro decks that made top 16 or top 8.  Boros was a deck everyone was thinking it could do well in modern and instead Boros doesn't even crack a decent chance to win.  Why because in order to play aggro you need some sort of trick, like poison or sheer amazing draws which won't happen.  So unless so share amazing meta game shift happens modern is going to become like extended, expensive and stale in deck choices.
What makes me worry about modern is the fact there was zero pure aggro decks that made top 16 or top 8.  Boros was a deck everyone was thinking it could do well in modern and instead Boros doesn't even crack a decent chance to win.  Why because in order to play aggro you need some sort of trick, like poison or sheer amazing draws which won't happen.  So unless so share amazing meta game shift happens modern is going to become like extended, expensive and stale in deck choices.

I don't think very many people were expecting Boros to be a deck.  I personally expected 12-post, Zoo, and some combo (though I underestimated the "some combo" to be a little more than some).
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Yeah I'm in the same boat as Mono.  I wasn't expecting Boros at all (don't know where you possibly got this idea), but was expecting less combo.  That said, I've been playing p. ascension for the last couple of weeks in modern, but didn't realize it was such a popular deck.

Bitterblossom can't be unbanned, as long as it produces faeries. The synergy with spellstutter and mistbind is what causes Fae to have such a suppressing effect on meta diversity.

I could see them banning emrakul, just to make it easier for people to use instant speed removal against the breach/vengeance decks.

Faeries wasn't even repressive in Extended... in other words, I don't agree with your statement at all.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

That's hardly fair, since Caw-Blade basically became the unbeatable deck in Extended
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:

Faeries wasn't even repressive in Extended... in other words, I don't agree with your statement at all.

You mean that extended where hypergen and thopter depths were the decks to beat? Or maybe the one where jace, stoneforge, and mistep were legal? Feel free to disagree then, because neither of those metas are remotely close to the Modern meta.

Fae poops on a lot of decklists that would otherwise see competitive play.

Photobucket
Been testing Empty the Warrns with 27 points.

Wow. 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Yeah, Neeman's list was ridiculous, if only he could have done a little better in draft

Brad Shepperd's Next Level Blue list is pretty impressive, only lost to LSV (Zoo) and 1 other match, 7-1-2 22 points

Let's take a look at the major archetypes and see about where they wound up, starting with the big 7

Twelve Post:
Start of Day 1: 82
Start of Day 2: 18 
24+ points: 1
21+ points: 5
19+ points: 1
Verdict: Poor win rate continues to haunt Post, despite it's perceived power

Splinter Twin
Start of Day 1: 70
Start of Day 2: 28
24+ points: 1
21+ points: 8
19+ points: 2
Verdict: Cements its top 3 place, though results are a tad disappointing

Zoo
Start of Day 1: 65
Start of Day 2: 30
24+ points: 4
21+ points: 5
19+ points: 7
Verdict: Easily the dominant archetype by results

Affinity
Start of Day 1: 32
Start of Day 2: 17
24+ points: 3
21+ points: 2
19+ points:
Verdict: Hit and Miss deck, but ignore it at your own peril.

Pyromancer's Ascension:
Start of Day 1: 27
Start of Day 2: 11
24+ points:
21+ points: 2
19+ points: 3
Verdict: Admirable conversion rate, but relying on an enchantment can be risky

Infect
Start of Day 1: 20
Start of Day 2: 7
24+ points:
21+ points: 3
19+ points:
Verdict: Flashy, powerful, but extremely disruptable. Still an archetype to watch

Storm Variants
Start of Day 1: 19
Start of Day 2: 9
24+ points: 3
21+ points:
19+ points: 3
Verdict: People who just look at Top 8 will miss this deck, which had two of the 5 best records (Jeremy Neeman 9-1, Jon Finkel 8-1-1). Not to be overlooked!

The only deck to go X-2 or better outside these 7 archetypes? Melira/Birthing Pod. Both decks that made day 2 finished with 19 points or more... 

scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
wow guess us boros, mono W and mono G players will have to stay at the kid table or in a local FNM because wizards has crushed our chances of every doing good in a PTQ.  And to think i had such high hopes for modern, yet 4 major deck types take top 8... sad day indeed
Boros is pretty all in for an aggro deck. Quartering your own lands is hyper risky play.
I think Mono-White has a chance, but you need Prison as a solution to Twin.
Mono-Green doesn't really stand a chance besides the 12 post - Green lists. 
Photobucket
Nice i chose my 2 main modern decks to be domain zoo bc its fun to play and switching to legacy is as easy as swapping revised dual lnds for shocks and affinity which can easily be switched to tempered steel for standard.

Merfolk another good one for legacy/modern im sure it might pick up soon

You mean that extended where hypergen and thopter depths were the decks to beat? Or maybe the one where jace, stoneforge, and mistep were legal? Feel free to disagree then, because neither of those metas are remotely close to the Modern meta.

Fae poops on a lot of decklists that would otherwise see competitive play.

Really, Fae poops on some of the competitive decks from Philly? Or do you mean your hypothetical format that isn't combo and aggro? Because only one of those formats matters.

Basically, you're trying to say that a deck that dominated/repressed only one format (Standard) is going to repress a bunch of "competitive" decks in a much higher-powered format? I don't think you really get just how powerful Modern decks actually are.

Really, Fae poops on some of the competitive decks from Philly? Or do you mean your hypothetical format that isn't combo and aggro? Because only one of those formats matters.

Basically, you're trying to say that a deck that dominated/repressed only one format (Standard) is going to repress a bunch of "competitive" decks in a much higher-powered format? I don't think you really get just how powerful Modern decks actually are.

Watch this vid.

I suggest you pay attention to the card choices he ran, and his final record on the day. He essentially took a sub-par control list into an event where control should get hammered, and still did well enough for top 32. Bitterblossom is the glue that binds a fae deck together.

Last year's worlds had Extended as the format for the team portion, and every single team had built a fae list among it's card pool. You're acting as if people haven't tested or played with fae in a competitive environment. Fae was just as competitive as hypergen in the community cup.

Photobucket
I would like to point out Affinity has the best Day 1 to Day 2 record with over half it's players getting to day two and that if it had more players like Twin or 12 post it most definatly would of made a much bigger splash and is simply not a deck to watch but the most explosive agro deck of the format where zoo will put out pressure every turn and offer disruption Affinity will bust out combo quick wins while still being able to win in the long haul.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Watch this vid.

I suggest you pay attention to the card choices he ran, and his final record on the day. He essentially took a sub-par control list into an event where control should get hammered, and still did well enough for top 32. Bitterblossom is the glue that binds a fae deck together.

Last year's worlds had Extended as the format for the team portion, and every single team had built a fae list among it's card pool. You're acting as if people haven't tested or played with fae in a competitive environment. Fae was just as competitive as hypergen in the community cup.

Looks to me like Fae would punish a low-mana combo format, but apparently that's a bad thing O.o

Also, team formats don't really count. The limitations on the use of cards in multiple instances mean that the use of a tribal deck is almost a necessity, especially when most of the other good decks in the format aren't running too much Blue, and if they are it's for different cards. That argument is, frankly, ridiculous.

Sheppard's list was clearly tuned to punish combo and certain forms of aggro. Good for him, he metagamed the deck properly. I don't see what this has to do with BB in the slightest.

What a complete dodge. The bottom line is that a guy hit top 32 with a control deck, in a meta where control was supposedly supposed to be awful, in arguably the very worst time to use a control deck (an untested meta). And despite most combo decks in the format actually packing a TON of control cards, you're advocating the need for another aggro-control deck? Last I checked, blue zoo fits that slot rather nicely.

Photobucket
Like I said, he metagamed the deck properly, unlike the other 2 dozen people who attempted it.

I'm not advocating the NEED for anything. The format could ostenibly have 1 dominant deck with various tweaks and still be live, but I don't think that any of us want that. What I AM saying is that there's no reason that BB needs to stay banned as Fae wouldn't suppress the format. Heck, the only winning Fae list from old Extended was mono-Blue...

And the combo decks aren't packing a "TON" of control cards. Those cards are in the list either to stall for a turn or two, not the definition of control by any means, or - and this is the more common reason - to answer silver bullets (torpor orb, Teeg, etc). Either way, this is actually a very healthy thing for the format. Interactive combo decks are far more interesting for both players and audience.

So really, what is your point? Do you actually think that the metagame should only have one of each deck archetype, and that there shouldn't be any blending of archetypes? "Oh, we have one (too many) aggro-control list, and the combo decks are actually running answers instead of just dig and protection. This has to stop. And make me one control list."

Like I said, he metagamed the deck properly, unlike the other 2 dozen people who attempted it.

I'm not advocating the NEED for anything. The format could ostenibly have 1 dominant deck with various tweaks and still be live, but I don't think that any of us want that. What I AM saying is that there's no reason that BB needs to stay banned as Fae wouldn't suppress the format. Heck, the only winning Fae list from old Extended was mono-Blue...

And the combo decks aren't packing a "TON" of control cards. Those cards are in the list either to stall for a turn or two, not the definition of control by any means, or - and this is the more common reason - to answer silver bullets (torpor orb, Teeg, etc). Either way, this is actually a very healthy thing for the format. Interactive combo decks are far more interesting for both players and audience.

So really, what is your point? Do you actually think that the metagame should only have one of each deck archetype, and that there shouldn't be any blending of archetypes? "Oh, we have one (too many) aggro-control list, and the combo decks are actually running answers instead of just dig and protection. This has to stop. And make me one control list."

I'm saying that literally every other piece of fae is already seeing play. Why do you need BB? BB only serves to stifle a lot of the other aggro combo lists, and it's not a stretch at all to assume that unbanning BB would send most of the blue zoo and bant lists packing.

You could make the argument that black isn't seeing enough play in the format, but that's a pretty nebulous goal to achieve. As I've said in previous posts, the only thing that makes BB banned is the fact that it produces faerie tokens. A bitterblossom-esque card for death cloud or disruptive doran rock lists would go a long way towards reining in combo without putting added pressure on zoo or non-blue control lists.

Photobucket
It seems to me that we're disagreeing over whether or not Fae should be a competitive deck. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be, as Fae doesn't stop Zoo. Coin Flip at best. And good enchantment removal is abundant in the format at large (Pridemage, Esper Charm, O-Ring, etc). But when it comes to combo decks, Fae should REALLY help in reining them in, and I think that unbanning cards is better than banning cards.

And I think it's already established that Fae loses pretty easily to a variety of control decks. 

The coverage isn't the most reflective of the event in my opinion.

Whilst we(the UK  players) were there, we were chatting with the SCG and CF guys, and pretty much agreed they screwed the pooch in terms of the format.

The best control deck is post board zoo running bant charm, flashfreeze and unified will.....

We all agreed Bitterblossom would be fine to unban, since it's needed to let control decks function. You need to lay a reasonable threat and hold up counter magic, goyf is just not good enough since it's easy to kill and leave combo well in control.

In terms of the DQ, Love was working with our team(along with an aussie and 2 norweigans), his DQ was as follows:

[spoiler]
Love has Spellskite in play, his opponent has spellskite and Pestermite in play, he casts Kiki-Jiki. HE taps Kiki-Jiki targetting Pestermite. Love activates spellskite targetting the ability(A legal play, but the ability will fizzle on resolution due to "you control" clause). Love's opponent says "That doesn't work", Love says "I know." Opponent calls over Judge and gives Love the match loss.

During the interview with the head judge, Love obviously said something that resulted in a DQ. What should of happenend, is the opponent should have just put his pestermite copy in play, then if Love tried to stop it, call the judge. Love was basically playing to make his opponent make an error, his opponent would have to say pass the turn or activate his own spellskite, otherwise Love would have to inform his opponent to put a token in play or face a DQ.

Sadly, he should have just redirected the pestermite ability, but I'm not sure what the life totals were.

Oddly, my opponent in an earlier round who scapeshifted into an extra land did not get a game loss, match loss or DQ, which is pretty close in terms of level of cheating.....
[/sblock]

The format from what I could see was basically combo, or Zoo. Affinity is a combo aggro deck, since it's the fling builds that are the choice, which is essentially a combo deck. There's no reason to run a control deck in the field, since you have no powerful engines like Jace and Visions to draw you back into the game, and no bitterblossom to provide a reasonable threat and sit on counterspells.

Cloudpost was a huge skew on the meta, giving it an inevitable game winning plan, that often game on the board on turn 3-4 thanks to scapeshift, amulet of vigor and through the breach.

Pyro ascension is a fair enough deck that is easily hated. Blood moon is good agaisnt zoo and post, but terrible agasint the other combo decks.

What our team played off the top of my head:

6 - Twin(incluiding Love)
Esper hatebears - 1
Zoo - 5
Goblin Storm - 1
Post - 2
Jund - 1

Cloudpost was such a skew on the meta, much like 'Kut was in standard for a while, the issue is, you can't effectively beat post and twin etc.

Our general consensus was banning the following cards: Exarch, Rite of Flame, Blazing Shoal, Emrakul/Cloudpost

And Unbanning: Visions, Bitterblossom
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Cyrus: He also had a warning for a similar infraction a while back.
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:

Floor judges told me you only get game losses on the fourth incident(that's what they told my opponent), which seemed, low, maybe I should have called the head judge for my free win.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
This pyromancer deck by andrej wins by lightning bolts only?

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...