Best Heroic Tier Striker?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going be playing in a level 1 group soon and I was wondering which class is best at low levels in terms of high reliable damage. Also could you include a build which would be effective from level 1 as I'm new to 4e. Bonus points if his initiative is high.

Also we already have a rogue.
I apologize if this has been asked before.
the scout is excellent and will have one of the highest initiatives in heroic.

Revenant dwarf, scout with the axe feature, feat is dwarven weapon training, main hand a craghammer, off hand a gauntlet axe.
My Works
My House Rules Cryptic Commander: a Tiefling Wizard|Warlord - Arcane Wayfarer - Planeshaper that focuses on controlling every creature in an encounter. Feyknight: A Half-Elf Knight - Gladiator Champion - Marshall of Letherna build that uses Eldritch Strike and the White Lotus Riposte feats to create a decent catch-22 with his mark aura. Novamancer: a Wizard/Swordmage - Malec-Keth Janissary - Radiant One that specializes in area damage, somewhat item dependent but is capable of massive damage. the Epic Crit-Fisher: Avenger/Ranger-PMC-Eternal Seeker with a 2,560 damage crit-fishing nova. Eldritch Slayer: A Slayer - Kulkor - Destined Scion that uses a similar trick to the Knight, combined with Kulkor for some decent DPR. Polearm Seeker|Fighter: A Seeker|Fighter/Psion - Kensei - Destined Scion build that uses Polearm Momentum to not be super bad. Generic Runepriest: A generic type Runepriest/Fighter - Hammer of Vengeance - Destined Scion
One does not
111819409 wrote:
99856009 wrote:
by RAW, you can't horse into the forge of the dawn titan.

...Couldn't resist.

Human thief has the highest level 1 dpr. Other classes catch up by the end of heroic, but thief tops the accuracy and damage chart at +10 vs. AC for 3d8+8 damage at-will (20 dex, rapier (from background), light blade expertise, backstabber).
the scout is excellent and will have one of the highest initiatives in heroic.

Revenant dwarf, scout with the axe feature, feat is dwarven weapon training, main hand a craghammer, off hand a gauntlet axe.

Surely you meant to say main-hand a Gouge?

gwah i forgot you could do that lol, but yes
My Works
My House Rules Cryptic Commander: a Tiefling Wizard|Warlord - Arcane Wayfarer - Planeshaper that focuses on controlling every creature in an encounter. Feyknight: A Half-Elf Knight - Gladiator Champion - Marshall of Letherna build that uses Eldritch Strike and the White Lotus Riposte feats to create a decent catch-22 with his mark aura. Novamancer: a Wizard/Swordmage - Malec-Keth Janissary - Radiant One that specializes in area damage, somewhat item dependent but is capable of massive damage. the Epic Crit-Fisher: Avenger/Ranger-PMC-Eternal Seeker with a 2,560 damage crit-fishing nova. Eldritch Slayer: A Slayer - Kulkor - Destined Scion that uses a similar trick to the Knight, combined with Kulkor for some decent DPR. Polearm Seeker|Fighter: A Seeker|Fighter/Psion - Kensei - Destined Scion build that uses Polearm Momentum to not be super bad. Generic Runepriest: A generic type Runepriest/Fighter - Hammer of Vengeance - Destined Scion
One does not
111819409 wrote:
99856009 wrote:
by RAW, you can't horse into the forge of the dawn titan.

...Couldn't resist.

Through heroic, all chargers do fine damage, and are simple to build and play. Pick a dex primary or secondary charger of some sort, and you're in good shape for both initiative and damage.

Executioner, Avenger, Barbarian, Slayer, Scout, Thief, or even a Vampire or Hexblade will do respectable damage, when you add your typical charging tricks. Avenger might suffer from not having an extra damage mechanic, but makes up for it in reliability and crit frequency.
Sorry for the stupid question but what "charging tricks" are you reffering to? I'm a newbie.
Sorry for the stupid question but what "charging tricks" are you reffering to? I'm a newbie.

Horned Helm, Vanguard Weapon, Badge of Beserker, Surprising Charge feat. +1[W]+1d8+1d6 damage on charges and don't provoke OA's for your movement.
How do Infernal Pact Warlocks fare at early levels?
On a related note I read somewhere that tieflings can swap out their bonus to int for con, where's the rule for this?
On a related note I read somewhere that tieflings can swap out their bonus to int for con, where's the rule for this?

Dragon 397 has the new rules for the Racial changes.

I really enjoy Warlocks, and Infernal Locks are a very strong pact and might be the toughest of the ranged casters in the game (even though you can mix it up in melee pretty easily with them). You should read the Warlock class wiki if you want to know more, but there are a ton of neat tricks and builds available.
If you don't want to charge, you could always make a Two-Weapon Ranger, picking up all their minor action attacks(Low Slash, Ruffling Sting) and Disruptive Strike as an interrupt.

I played a Spiked-Chain Beastmaster ranger from 1 to 9 with the Beast Protector feat and the above. If they hit your beast, you get an OA. If they move past your beast to hit you, your beast gets an OA on them.  Nearing paragon, it's not nearly as strong, but it was pretty gnarly early on.
My fantasy novel: Continent in the Clouds

Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom has Teifling ability bonuses as well as the update to Infernal Wrath.

You can get the Ability Bonuses of all races here: wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drag/...

And if you need any other erratta or updates, check in here: wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updat...
If you don't want to charge, you could always make a Two-Weapon Ranger, picking up all their minor action attacks(Low Slash, Ruffling Sting) and Disruptive Strike as an interrupt.

I played a Spiked-Chain Beastmaster ranger from 1 to 9 with the Beast Protector feat and the above. If they hit your beast, you get an OA. If they move past your beast to hit you, your beast gets an OA on them.  Nearing paragon, it's not nearly as strong, but it was pretty gnarly early on.

Low Slash is a Rogue power (Level 3) so you need MC in rogue and the power swap feat to get it. But yes, the Ranger has at least two minor action attacks in heroic tier, that and Twin Strike and you have a no charging high DPR striker.
I have been hearing that twin striking rangers top the damaga charts, is this true even at level 1?
I have been hearing that twin striking rangers top the damaga charts, is this true even at level 1?

Not at levell 1. It doesn't take long for a ranger to out damage a rogue, but in early heroic Rogue takes the prize.

Twin strike by itself is not going to beat a thief at early heroic. But I think Twin Strike + Leader, can contend with Thief + Leader.

If you're the lucky twin strike ranger in a party with a Warden, a Monk, an Earth Genasi Warlord, and a Hunter, you pick up Headsman's Chop early, and go to town on anything that's prone.

Whenever we play with a ranger in the group, the entire party looks for ways to boost his damage. A paladin will pick up Wrath of the Gods, a cleric will pick up Augment of War or Weapon of the Gods, a warlord will pick up any and all +X bonus to damage powers he can from Adaptive Strategem to Inspiring breath, a Panther Shaman will park his panther next to the ranger, an invoker will toss Rain of Blood on whatever the ranger is fighting, I've even seen a fighter hold his action till just before the ranger, to toss Bone Crusher on an enemy.

So on paper, sure, the charger thief beats twin strike ranger through heroic. What I'm seeing in play, the ranger's twin strike is tearing through stuff like nothing else because he has a million bonuses on top of what he himself can muster. But, the caveat is you do need some tactically minded players. In newbie groups, I've seen rounds when all the ranger did was 1d10+1 damage in a round. Of course I've also seen the rogue drop dead in round 1. So, the play is where it's at.
Rangers are good in low heroic, but they really start to shine once the static mods build up.

Still, a low-level longtooth shifter ranger with Bloodfury and Battlecrazed bastard swords can put out some great damage. Also, having a high dex and swift blade style is very nice.

Chargers are pretty item dependent, so make sure that if you are playing in a home game, that your DM will allow you to get the goods you need. Without the horned helm, vanguard weapon, and badge of the berserker, a charger is going to have a tough time competing against other (good) strikers.
I am a bit new at this but if you are charging a lott shurly the minotaur will be good with the encounter charge? :-)
I am a bit new at this but if you are charging a lott shurly the minotaur will be good with the encounter charge? :-)

You pretty much never want to use that power. It lacks the weapon keyword and so is incompatible with the majority of the stuff that boosts charges and makes them good to begin with.
Can be quite worthwhile with Opportunity Gore, actually. Not really a striker build though.

Oh yeah it's nice with opportunity gore, but awful for charging.

Horned Helm, Vanguard Weapon, Badge of Beserker, Surprising Charge feat. +1[W]+1d8+1d6 damage on charges and don't provoke OA's for your movement.

if the dm does not give out a bunch of gold these items are unlikly to be possed at lvl 1

if the dm does not give out a bunch of gold these items are unlikly to be possed at lvl 1

Nobody said they are, but they ARE all available by mid heroic and thus are relevant to the OP.
Yep.

Badge of the Berserker: Lvl 2+
Vanguard: 4+
Horned Helm: 6+

By 4th a character could easily have the first two.

And a big low-heroic advantage that the Slayer and the Thief have over the other charging strikers is that they don't need to multiclass to get Surprising Charge, so they're a feat ahead. (Obvious the Thief wil multiclass to fighter for KAM, but he doesn't need to do that before late heroic.)
Multiclassing fighter also gets you a free MBA, so it's not like any serious melee striker was going to pass it up even if they hadn't printed KAM.
Shadar-Kai Beast Master Ranger. High Dex, high Wis
Pick a Raptor (flying beast). Feat: Weapon Prof Greatbow.
Twinstrike = uber damage potential.
stick to range powers, though some beast powers are nice (Menacing Cry, level 9 Daily is handy)

Then theres Weapon Focus for bonus to Twin Strike damage.
Grounding Shot to ignore the -5 penalty to Attacking a prone target (and deal +2 damage to them)
          Note: Dropping prone for a range attacker is pretty good. +5 defences agaisnt ranged attacks for a -2 to attack rolls.
    Acrobatic Boots Level 2 feet; property stand up from prone as a Minor (great low level item)

You can select your target of Hunter Quarry from your Beast so you can move it over melee lines (yay flying) and move adjacent to casters etc. Opp attack against them and +1d6 with Quarry.
The feat that increese quarry die to d8s only adds +1 damage on average per die so not amazing at low level.

If your campain has a lot of Humanoid enemys, go for the Ruthless Hunter paragon path. +Wis mod damage against quarry including Twin Strike (and a host of other usful powers)

Thats how my Ranger was built anyway (basicly)
Jenov Dwarven Fighter "None shall come ta harm while ah still have breath in ma lungs!"
Half-elf
Warlock, Star Pact L5
CHR 20, CON 14, INT 14 original build.  CHR 19 allows a non-wimpy STR/DEX.

- Train in all the CHR skills; be the party face
- Eldritch Blast = virtual versatile sword/axe/hammer (1d10+mods), throw around the room and returns by magic.  This is an RBA, in case you play with an Eagle Shaman or Direct the Strike warlord.
- Dire Radiance = virtual superior weapon (2d6 + 2x mods), throw around the room and returns by magic, if the target chases me around.  Note that I haven't been able to hit anything with it until the recent Warock Update.
- Caiphon's Leap (Utility2) gets you away from melee artists in a pinch
- Pick whatever L1 Encounter and Daily powers you want
- Dilettante power: anything from the Ardent L1 list - gets melee artists out of your face.  I got the one that slows a target so I can RUN AWAY next turn.
- L3 encounter power based on experience at the table
- L5 daily: Raging Storm of Cania allows you to be an anti-aircraft gun
- Pick up the RBA boost equipment as soon as possible (mostly L2-3-4) and a Master's Wand of Eldritch Blast.  When you can fit in the Superior Implement feat, make your wand Dragontoothed.

This is not going to win a DPR contest, but it will contribute at the table.

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood Elf Rogue1/Monk2, AL, inspired by "Radar O'Reilly" from M*A*S*H: Perception(max)

Alavos of Kirauma, Half-elf Ancients Paladin8, HotDQ / Tiamat, Warlord themed - now an NPC because I was voted DM for our group !

Characters Ready-to-go:

none at present; gotta work on somebody from below !

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Tiefling Bard - party "face", skillful, future business master (using 3e FRCS background material) and patron to beginning adventurers.

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e MM picture of a Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

Shadar-Kai Beast Master Ranger. High Dex, high Wis
Grounding Shot to ignore the -5 penalty to Attacking a prone target (and deal +2 damage to them)
          Note: Dropping prone for a range attacker is pretty good. +5 defences agaisnt ranged attacks for a -2 to attack rolls.

Dropping prone is only a +/-2 modifier, not +/-5. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Sign In to post comments