SPOILER: GG Modern. Welcome to your newest staple.

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Snapcaster Mage.

Really?

Wow. 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Meh. It's decent with gifts ungiven and PtE/StP, but hardly degenerate. Definitely decent addition to the Goryo's reanimator deck, and possibly U/G 12-post (flashbacking just about any spell in that deck is solid).

I think it has better applications for standard and legacy. U/B control in standard would love to flashback a surgical extraction or a doom blade, on top of getting a body out of it.

Photobucket
Next to Thoughtseize and Clique, I'm absolutely terrified.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Good card i like
Next to Thoughtseize and Clique, I'm absolutely terrified.

Meh, would have been much scarier with bitterblossom, though esper stoneblade and team america in legacy just got scarier for sure.

Photobucket
It means control doesn't have to be as stingy with its answers.  You can Path right away, knowing that down the road if you need a second, you've got it.  Or go ahead and counter something now, knowing that you still have that counter handy.

The fact that it puts legs on the ground, too, is superb. 
Can I say meh without getting beaten to death? It's a very good card and will be amazing in Legacy and Standard no doubt but I just don't think Modern is the format that it's going to do best in. It will be good but it's not going to live up to the hype at least not here.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Modern is definitely it's worst format, given the poor state of control decks.  It is still insanely powerful though and will see significant play.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
Modern is definitely it's worst format, given the poor state of control decks.  It is still insanely powerful though and will see significant play.

Why do you say control is no good now? Just cuz JTMS is banned? There is access to plenty of counters/sweepers/spot removal/hand removal...I don't follow. You aren't the first to say this either, so I feel I'm in the wrong...I just don't understand why.
Im excited about this card will definitely help control decks and caw blade... Suspend path to exile, day of judgement, dismember, manaleak, spell snare pierce ect hopefully soon mental misstep if it gets unbanned bc the combo heavy meta

Why do you say control is no good now? Just cuz JTMS is banned? There is access to plenty of counters/sweepers/spot removal/hand removal...I don't follow. You aren't the first to say this either, so I feel I'm in the wrong...I just don't understand why.

Because both combo and control are winning on turn 3 and 4.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Control in modern has 2 major problems with the meta - Zoo and 12-post. Post renders all but your hard counters useless past turn 4, and zoo sneaks 2-3 dudes past your counters in the first 3 turns. Both present lethal issues for control. They may un-ban ancestral visions at the time of the next announcement, just to give some mid-range decks a better sense of inevitability against combo and aggro.

Photobucket
blue control has spreading seas to at least stall 12post for a turn or two, but without mental misstep it's just not really worth running at all.
blue control has spreading seas to at least stall 12post for a turn or two, but without mental misstep it's just not really worth running at all.

Seas is a garbage card that does nothing to 80% of the top decks in the field.

Photobucket
maybe if this was GG COMMANDER PLAYERS, I'd buy it... this is disgusting in EDH
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
Tailor made for U/R Storm decks. It adds extra consistency with the ability to flashback any ritual and rebuys Grapeshot for the kill if the first one wasn't damaging enough, or if it got discarded or stifled.

Just what the format needed. More combo support. 
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
Tailor made for U/R Storm decks. It adds extra consistency with the ability to flashback any ritual and rebuys Grapeshot for the kill if the first one wasn't damaging enough, or if it got discarded or stifled.

Just what the format needed. More combo support. 

Flashback A Ritual, gain no mana. Sounds like a combo card.

Rebuying Grapeshot? Why don't you just remand the original copy and draw a card.

Photobucket

Flashback A Ritual, gain no mana. Sounds like a combo card.

Rebuying Grapeshot? Why don't you just remand the original copy and draw a card.

In the Grapeshot combo decks, there are times where you can fizzle out, such as with the swath combo deck.  Snapcaster can give you an extra 6 damage which might just do the trick.

I do especially like it for the Goryo's Vengeance deck, though.  I'll probably fiddle around with something like that once I know more stuff from Innistrad.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
So does Remanding the original Copy of grapeshot, infact, it gives you more then an extra 6 damage, and it costs the same amount of mana, and draws you a card. It also serves as protection when needed.

Snapcaster Mage does none of these without the actual deck containing multiple counterspells.
Photobucket
So does Remanding the original Copy of grapeshot, infact, it gives you more then an extra 6 damage, and it costs the same amount of mana, and draws you a card. It also serves as protection when needed.

Snapcaster Mage does none of these without the actual deck containing multiple counterspells.

and you are not using both why?
redundancy is good and relevant at all times.

snapcaster mage to me is ALOT like ill-gotten gains in which the idea is designed where you bring back you're spell for another go and hope to god it gets you there.
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]

I think that you're missing the point.

If you have the mana to Remand the original Grapeshot *and* replay it, you're typically better off with Snapcaster Mage, because you can play the original Grapeshot, then flashback it, dealing a grand total of *twice* the original Grapeshot plus six. That's better than Remanding it.

If you're sitting with a hand where you don't have the mana do to that trick, then you wouldn't have had the mana for the Remand trick either. You will, however, probably have the mana to flashback a ritual, netting you +2 storm count. If you have a Seething Song or double Rite of Flame in your graveyard, then it's free. Otherwise, it'll cost you a net of one mana, which is cheaper than the Remand trick.

The point is that in both scenarios, Snapcaster Mage is much, much better. It's not quite as good at protecting you as Remand is, but it's much better when you combo out, and on top of that, it allows you to reuse your protective spells if needed.

Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Counter-based control isn't in a very strong position, so Snapcaster probably won't be as much of a problem as in other formats, but it'll still work fine. Modern is a format that has t2 and t4 kills, but doesn't get them enough to fully shut-down most controls as people thought on the first day of PT Philly. Hell, I didn't think Blazing Shoal would actually be a real competitor in Modern, but it almost won the whole kit and kaboodle (I don't think Kikkimite Splintertwin would have stood much of a chance). I don't think this guy is going to be good for what he does for control-decks though, but his ability to recycle combo pieces, in a much more finite way than Yawgmoth's Will (the single best card in Magic)
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Counter-based control isn't in a very strong position

ROFL. I think you need to take a look at the top 8 decklists from the PT. Counter-based control was half of top 8.

Photobucket
In what universe are any of those decks "control"?

Counter-Cat was the only deck that T8'd that was actually attempting to use its counters to disrupt the opponent. Everything else was just using them to protect a combo.
blah blah metal lyrics

ROFL. I think you need to take a look at the top 8 decklists from the PT. Counter-based control was half of top 8.

ROFL!
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png

What on earth are you on about?

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

One could argue that Splinter Twin as a deck is merely U/R control with Twin as a finisher.
Photobucket

One could argue that Splinter Twin as a deck is merely U/R control with Twin as a finisher.

I'd argue against that, since control usually involves creating both questions and answers for the sake of winning, while SplinterTwin uses answers to redirect the boardstate away from it's combo. There is no real threat involved until one of the combos is played. Granted it's more reactive than the likes of Ad Nauseum, but the deck still only really stands a chance when the combo connects.

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

I'd argue against that, since control usually involves creating both questions and answers for the sake of winning, while SplinterTwin uses answers to redirect the boardstate away from it's combo. There is no real threat involved until one of the combos is played. Granted it's more reactive than the likes of Ad Nauseum, but the deck still only really stands a chance when the combo connects.

No, ZpikduM is exactly right. Who cares if the win-condition is a combo? The guy who won the whole thing spent every single game after game 1 boarding and using control cards like ancient grudge, snapback, and firespout, all in addition to the maindeck dispels and remands. Add to the fact that the pestermites/exarchs can often be used on their own to buy a turn, and you have a very heavy control shell encasing a combo win condition. Nearly all Legacy combo decks run less than half the number of control cards as these Modern lists.

Photobucket

No, ZpikduM is exactly right. Who cares if the win-condition is a combo? The guy who won the whole thing spent every single game after game 1 boarding and using control cards like ancient grudge, snapback, and firespout, all in addition to the maindeck dispels and remands. Add to the fact that the pestermites/exarchs can often be used on their own to buy a turn, and you have a very heavy control shell encasing a combo win condition. Nearly all Legacy combo decks run less than half the number of control cards as these Modern lists.

Er, to my understanding, card choice isn't what makes a control deck, a control deck, it's the context of use. The SplinterTwin deck does nothing to bottlenose it's opponent, it simply sandbags them with card trades (something most decks do regardless of context). For example, Ponder and Preordain can be useful in any blue deck of any "type". In aggro it allows you to set tempo, in Control it allows you to arrange questions and answers in a manner which is most constructive to the match at hand, to Combo (such as SplinterTwin), they effectively decreases your deck-size by 8 and increase the player's reach into their deck (just like Sam Black used transmuters to seek out Progenitus to sac off to his Blazing Shoal).

Furthermore, why do you even want to bother arguing such useless semantics? Deck-typing is a framing device from which to build upon specific strategies, nothing that much more spectacular. Hell, it has less meaning than "Role" in Dungeons and Dragons, and is only relative to the way a deck "behaves"

When you're running the slowest combo deck in the format, you must by necessity use slots for SB answers. That doesn't make the deck control. That version of Splinter Twin is obviously combo and nothing else.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

I think what people are missing is that Snapcaster is useful in more than just control. Being able to flash back a vital Bolt or Fling or Charm (just to mention a few) and have legs  in an aggro deck like Counter-Cat or Lightsaber is just stupid. Now we can drop the count, add Snapcaster and up the count on creatures or answers.....pretty useful in more than just control....