09/06/2011 SF: "Superbeast"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I love cards that match, number-wise.
Another solid article from Adam.
I've been playing (with some gaps) since the late 90's. Land Destruction can be fun! I really don't get the Command Tower backlash.
Yeah I was working on a RWG token deck for edh....and now this?!?  Hellz Yes!
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
dang that thing is a superbeast,

lol, just think- i know this is overkill since im using the spoiler from last nights article, but i cant help but mention it,

turn 6: essence of wild

turn 8: army of damned

13 6/6 copies

turn 10:

another 13 6/6 ftw lol 
Thank you, Adam Styborski, for writing this article. Now Essence of the Wild will be called the Superbeast, and all decks based around it will be called "Superbeast" decks.
Thank you, Adam Styborski, for writing this article. Now Essence of the Wild will be called the Superbeast, and all decks based around it will be called "Superbeast" decks.

So... that's the one that you wanted? Smile

Thanks!
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs

Those were some nice ideas for decks to build with this card! (I especially liked the combo with Mercy Killing!) but I do have 1 comment about the "we'll do it live!"deck:

Either add a Mountain and an Island so that the one offs Anger and Wonder actually do their thing ones they are in your graveyard, or replace them with Brawn and Filth!

Hmm... Birthing Pod and Essence of the Wild? I think it's time for some Warstorm Surge! Cool
Nice card.  Too bad creatures you control lose their abilities if they were played after this card.  It would be great for tokens but I wouldn't want many of my other creatures to lose their abilities.

About the polls, I imagine the "horror trope" poll will have changed a lot with the reveal of double face cards.  I would still choose Werewolf, but I would be one of the few.

I would not bring someone I just introduced to the game to a prerelease because they need to learn how to play the game first.  Once they can start playing games without my assistance than they can go to events such as prereleases.  I would wait a bit more before suggesting that they go to launch parties as the one I go to is a draft.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Anyone else think this card (Like Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas) looks like Rob Zombie.

Maybe it's just because the article is called Superbeast!
If you play Fists of Ironwood onto a Essence of the Wild, do the tokens coming into play see that the Essence has trample?  Do they copy that attribute as well?
Copy effects only copy a card's base attributes (e.g. what's printed on the card, or perhaps more accurately what's written in the Oracle) as modified by other copy effects. So regardless of how many pumps and abilities you'll dump on your Superbeast via auras, instants, sorceries and whatever else you'd like, any subsequent creatures you put on the battlefield will just become 6/6s with the copy ability.

L1 Judge

MaRo: "If it isn't horror, it doesn't go in this set".

How on EARTH is this card horror? 

Neither is the Dragon. I guess some Mythics bullied their way past the bouncer.
This plus Jade Mage or White Sun's Zenith will be fun.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)

Well, if you think about it, getting lost in the wild might be horrific and terrifying. Also, some sylvan creatures have a more subtle horror feel to it. If you look at Essence of the Wild's flavor text, whoever strays too far and runs into this guy will more than likely be in for a bad day when, ultimately, it turns you into itself. With the Gothic-horror feel in this set, this guy's not too far off.

first thought when I saw Essence of the Wild: "They would bring this card out right when eldralzi spawns rotate out god dammit"

there are so many damn possibilities with this card its not even funny
Thank you for noticing the out of place Anger!
Sign In to post comments