Mordankainen's Magical Emporium

386 posts / 0 new
Last post
Potion of Invulnerability - Level 10/20/30 Common
Utility Power * Consumable (Minor Action)
Effect: You drink the potion and gain resist 25/35/45 to all damage until the end of your next turn.

Discuss.
Elven Chain Shirt - Level 9/19/29 Uncommon
Wonderous Item
Property: You gain +1/+2/+3 item bonus to AC while wearing this shirt with light or no armor.
Err, wow. Elven chain shirt = ridonkulous.
Any insight on Flail Expertise? And is that potion an Alchemical item?
Wow, that shirt ... The ultimate Fashion Item
Last spoiler - do not ask for more, I will not respond.  The Superior Armors (Ring Mail and the like) have their own advancement chart in the book - Ring Mail and Studded Leather advance as Hide armor, Banded Mail as Chain, Splint as Scale and Spiked/Full Plate as Plate.
Could we please have some more spoilers?
The potion isn't an alchemical item - it is a straight up consumable.  Resist 25 is still pretty substantial in Epic tier.

OK, no new spoilers.  Clarifications to existing ones are fine.
Is the Elven Chain Shirt for real? That's ridiculous, I see no reason for anyone in Light armor not to wear one. Hell, it's coming close to "I see no reason to build a character that uses Heavy Armor" even.

The potion of Invulnerability is pretty good, though I think it's expensive enough to not be usable every round in Epic. Then again; for climatic battles you can probably afford to down one every round and turn it into a cakewalk.

And it's even Common so not even the silly Rarity system is going to save the DM from that kind of shenanigans. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Wonderous Item
Property: You gain +1/+2/+3 item bonus to AC while wearing this shirt with light or no armor.

So you could wear it in addition to magical armor and gain that bonus in addition to enhancement and armor bonus, since it has another type?
I could only think of temporary item boni to AC like Defensive enchantment or Parry Gauntlets.

Does it count as wearing armor or have any drawbacks? It seems like even Avengers could use it from that description.

Edit: Potion of Invulnerability

Does it at least cost a Healing Surge to activate like Regeneration or Resistance potions do?

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg)

The potion isn't an alchemical item - it is a straight up consumable.  Resist 25 is still pretty substantial in Epic tier.

OK, no new spoilers.  Clarifications to existing ones are fine.

Drats, I was hoping you could get one for free with the Alchemist theme. Oh well.

Thanks for spoiling what you have 22Over7 . Is the book out or were you able to snag one early?
Wow, some mega power creep here then.  Elven Chain Shirt is a wondrous item that doesn't take up a slot and grants +1/2/3 to AC?!  Coupled with Ring Mail, that's insane.  And yes, I think my Eladrin Knight will be taking Ring Mail proficiency for some Eladrin Ring Mail when he reaches the right level.

Potion of Invulnerability is just insane as a Common item.  Load up on the low-level version, take Quick Draw, have resist 25 all, all the time, for a minor action per round.  I'll take that.

This book is feeling like such a ludicrous grab-bag of stuff, ranging from the sublime (why, yes, I would like a free tier-scaling AC bonus.  Plate, what the hell is that?  Yes, I would like to wear Light Chainmail, why do you ask?) to the ridiculous (no, I really wouldn't like to waste a feat to add a tiny bit of autodamage when I escape grabs, in exchange for a check penalty that makes me 5% less likely to succeed in doing so.  No, I wouldn't like a Flaming Longsword that I can't turn off if I happen across a Red Dragon, TYVM).  And despite the changes to item rarity, things seem to have gotten silly there, too - a slotless tier-scaling AC bonus is just Uncommon (Item Bonuses to AC are a new thing, too, so this is just pure power creep, and the sort of thing that should have been baked into AC progression with errata), and a potion of resist stupid all for a round is COMMON?!

I pity LFR DMs with cheesy quick-drawing characters.

Ugh.  I can see why this book was cancelled originally.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Hmm I have the distinct feeling someone is bound to be poking the LFR admins to try and get a pre-emptive "I DON'T think so" in place concerning that potion... Either way no real need to feel pity though. Nothing stopping any LFR DM from just going "Ok so, if that is what you want to do, here is your XP, your bundles and I am off to do something fun with my time. Enjoy."  Its what I would likely opt to do But yeah as a common its insane, heck as an uncommon it would still be nuts but easier to fix.

The shirt..... as a Rare maybe..., but even then its a big maybe.
To DME, or not to DME: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous powergaming, Or to take arms against a sea of Munchkins, And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;No more;
So... they just don't give a crap anymore.  Got it.
This book is feeling like such a ludicrous grab-bag of stuff, ranging from the sublime (why, yes, I would like a free tier-scaling AC bonus.  Plate, what the hell is that?  Yes, I would like to wear Light Chainmail, why do you ask?) to the ridiculous (no, I really wouldn't like to waste a feat to add a tiny bit of autodamage when I escape grabs, in exchange for a check penalty that makes me 5% less likely to succeed in doing so.  No, I wouldn't like a Flaming Longsword that I can't turn off if I happen across a Red Dragon, TYVM).  And despite the changes to item rarity, things seem to have gotten silly there, too - a slotless tier-scaling AC bonus is just Uncommon (Item Bonuses to AC are a new thing, too, so this is just pure power creep, and the sort of thing that should have been baked into AC progression with errata), and a potion of resist stupid all for a round is COMMON?!.

Agile Armor says hi. 
I like the Chain Shirt. It's missing a requirement though.

Requirement: You must forgo 2 stat bumps to an AC boosting stat to wear this armor (4 for paragon, 6 for epic versions).

Voila, suddenly Barbarians who have been putting points into Con or Charisma, or Shamans putting points into Con, or melee Rangers splitting their attention between Con/Dex/Wis, or Polearm fighters who want to stay in light armor, but need to put a few points into Wis, or Resourceful Warlords who want to stay in light armor, but put a few points into charisma, or Warlocks who have been putting points into Cha/Con, or Sorcerers who sunk a few points into Str to qualify for Sorcerer Implement Expertise, have an item fix.

As a home use item that I can drop into my campaign, where I have an unoptimized character, like say a melee character that relies on dex for AC, but has a starting dex of 14 or 16. I have no problem with this.

For an LFR Thaneborn Barbarian that I've been keeping a high Charisma, I don't feel bad about picking up this item when I get a chance (which would be next level), as my AC feels low and neglected. For an AC optimized Halfling Ironsoul Monk, I'd feel dirty picking it up.
Agile's an item bonus?  Thank goodness, I'd forgotten.  Agile Ring Mail plus Elven Chain Shirt would have been ludicrous.

Are there any other item bonuses to AC?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Boots of the fencing master is one, there may be others.

Requirement: You must forgo 2 stat bumps to an AC boosting stat to wear this armor (4 for paragon, 6 for epic versions).

You mean...

"While in light armor or no armor, you can use 3 instead of your Dexterity of Intelligence modifier to determine your AC".

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

If you can wield staff implements, the Staff of Aversion is a solid +2 item bonus to all four defenses.  Only requires you to have a condition on the enemy attacking you.  One of my favorite defensive items for blasters/bursters.

WTF Chain Shirt.
At the very least, it'll be expensive to outfit everyone in Chain Shirts.  9/19/29 is a fairly expensive item slot, relatively speaking.

Still, it does mean most everyone in Paragon will at least have the +1 version pretty quickly.
You mean...

"While in light armor or no armor, you can use 3 instead of your Dexterity of Intelligence modifier to determine your AC".

I'd be happier with a scaling value like 3/4/5, but essentially yes.
Eustachio - it doesn't even require an item slot!
the chain shirt kind of helps cement several in our group's desire to have less items as a whole. It's not really necessary, but one would be kinda nuts to not try and get one. No downside at all outside of cost.

I'm kinda sad to see no more spoilers. I was really hoping to learn more about pick an flail expertise. Maybe it'll be in the compendium soon.
Typical. Presented with a problem (a handful of builds forced into light armour without AC compensation mechanisms), instead of attacking the problem directly they release an item that partially addresses the problem for players whose DMs allow them to use it while handing out a ludicrous bonus to light armour builds that didn't need one.

Mellored's suggestion, while still DM-dependent, would fix the problem (assuming it scaled by tier) without breaking anything, which is obviously why WotC didn't think of it.
Wonderous Item

Wow.

Just wow. 
Agile's an item bonus?  Thank goodness, I'd forgotten.  Agile Ring Mail plus Elven Chain Shirt would have been ludicrous.

Armor of Dark Majesty and Warlock's Bracers give item bonuses vs cursed enemies.  Can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned.

That being said... no offense to the OP, but I have doubts this is real...
That being said... no offense to the OP, but I have doubts this is real...

I was wondering the same.

If this stuff is real, then yeah, "Wow" just about sums it up.

The chain shirt could be nerfed down to a non-scaling +1, with the L9 item working with heroic tier armors, the L19 for paragon tier armors, etc.  Even with that nerf, it would still be a, "WTF why would you ever not get that?" item.
Those items are madness. I would never allow them in my campaign.
I'm kind of glad it's a Wonderous Item. If it took up a slot, we'd just have another arms-slot scenario. The damage to system integrity is done, but at least it doesn't take out an entire slot's worth of options, like it would in most slots.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
Those items are madness. I would never allow them in my campaign.

I don't know about "never". If anything I'd treat it like a rare item. So yeah the Barbarian player who's struggling with his AC gets one, but the Paladin doesn't.
To be fair, all the other defenses had +1/+2/+3 item bonuses available to them.  It's just that those took a slot.
Wonderous Item

Wrings hands with glee

Yess...! My Human Rogue will love this.
Edit: Potion of Invulnerability

Does it at least cost a Healing Surge to activate like Regeneration or Resistance potions do?

It does exactly what it says it does.

Khan - I got this as swag from working PAX Prime for Wizards.  It should be in premier stores in a week or two.

Chain Shirt - it's pricey in Epic tier, not sure I'd get the +3, but the +2 for sure.
I'll confess that I mostly look at the Chain Shirt as a way to save feats; it means light armor users no longer have to burn feats upgrading armor types/getting the specialization to keep up with the AC math.  I too would prefer they just errata the damn system so that these patches aren't necessary, but I'll take what I can get.
Another item bonus to AC - Golden Ring of Teros = Level 24 ring, +2 item bonus to AC and Fortitude while unbloodied.  That said, the main reason the shirt is broken is beacuse it's slotless.  It would be fine as any slotted item.
I'm looking forward to all my INT/DEX characters wearing Elven Underwear. Obviously you wear it under your clothes for extra protection and comfort.  So smooth, it's better than silk!
Another item bonus to AC - Golden Ring of Teros = Level 24 ring, +2 item bonus to AC and Fortitude while unbloodied.  That said, the main reason the shirt is broken is beacuse it's slotless.  It would be fine as any slotted item.

Honestly, I'd say the opposite. If it were a slotted item, that'd effectively be one slot that is just gone for light armor users. It's even worse than Iron Armbands of Power/Bracers of Archery in terms of overall effectiveness.

er?  Really?  It's realy 'spensive at-par, and under par is only +0/1/2.  For Swordmages, yeah... but for others?  Is +2 AC worth +6 damage?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

You mean...

Or just limit it to no, cloth and leather armor. It's the hide were it get really ugly IMO.