Magic Weekend Philadelphia

58 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is to discuss Pro Tour Philadelphia, which begins Friday at 9 a.m. ET. This Pro Tour features the debut of the Modern format in premier-event play, so there should be lots of deck archetype developments all weekend.

The webcast begins in Philly at 10:45 a.m. Sunday with the Modern Top 8. Use this handy guide to find the start time in your area!

• Los Angeles: 7:45 a.m.

• Chicago: 9:45 a.m.

• New York: 10:45 a.m.

• Rio de Janeiro: 11:45 a.m.

• London: 3:45 p.m.

• Paris: 4:45 p.m.

• Berlin: 4:45 p.m.

• Rome: 4:45 p.m.

• Moscow: 6:45 p.m.

• Tokyo: 11:45 p.m.

• Sydney: 12:45 a.m. Monday

Poor coverage again. When will you start covering the entire event live? It is funny GPs are covered much better than PTs.
Why are SCG Opens covered better than PTs? I really don't get this at all.
The end is always nigh.
It's the Pro Tour, but the "amateur" coverage of SCG Open & GPs by ggslive once again makes the official coverage pale in comparison.

Shame on you WOTC!
Just sad. Looking at the page with only round 1 results. no game info, no interviews.  Serioulsy wizards,  you are way behind.
So, I turn on my computer, happy because I get to see an awsome pro tour in a new format, start looking for the coverage and... How is it even possible???

So scg events have good video coverage, grand prix too thanks to ggs live, and pro tour get NOTHING???? It's the PRO TOUR... It's supposed to be the one tournament with all the best players in the world, they prepare hard for this and we can't see it? Get a grip wiz, that's ridiculous...
I agree completely.  This is absolutely ridiculous that Wizards, with all their funding, can't have some video streaming of the Pro Tour!  Star City Games has it, Grand Prix has it, and even my local store is starting to do it for their own larger events. 

Even having a live podcast streaming would have been way better than these ultra delayed feature match articles.

Come on Wizards, time to get your act together.
I just spent 10 minutes looking for the dumb coverage. Do I want podcasts? No. Do I want twitter? Hell no. What am I going to do with layers and layers of text. Oh, okay, I can watch the deck tech and pretend I'm getting quality information when I'm actually not.

Jumping on Magic Online and watching some modern matches has been more entertaining than suffering to find the damn link to any video coverage.

I thought you had hired Rushad and may have GGs-live there, Wizzos. What the hell?

(Not asking for the bull SCG feeds, just some cards tapping and notifications on board position.) >:|
Wizards!!, get some live coverage...i would have loved to see the match of Finkel/Watanabe even though by the written commentary it sounded bad.

really...i had come home from work this morning and hoped to relax with some live coverage of "the Pro Tour"..!
HAHAHA Wizards poor excuse for banning everything thats ever been good has totally backfired on them!!!

Not only is there turn 3 kills all over the place but there is also turn 2 kills and even turn 1 kills!!!!!! HAHAHAHA

Maybe now wizards should think about unbanning EVERYTHING and let people play with the cards they want to play with!

There will always be the "popular decks" banning cards for this format only angers players that cant play with the
cards they paid for and want to play with. It just forces them to shift to the next best set of cards!!!

Whats the next step wizards ban all the key cards in these decks as well??? Its a slippery slope your dealing with here.

Control is certainly dead so I guess Combo is next... maybe they will be happy when 8 aggro decks make top 8 who knows?  

As an additional note the non existant PRO TOUR coverage is pathetic... GET A GRIP WIZARDS!!!!

Take a hint and give the people what they want...
Control is not dead.

It's just that control requires a defined meta in order to work.
And there's no defined meta in Modern because, surprise, it's its first PT ever!

In any case, it would be much better to unban Sensei's Divining Top than Mental Misstep. Mental Misstep would just destroy the format the same way Force of Will has ruined Vintage and Legacy.
Force of Will has ruined Vintage and Legacy.

Force of Will is the glue that holds Vintage and Legacy together. Were it not present, Belcher would win pretty much everything.

Anyway:

Somebody please get Hagon off of coverage. He's a total idiot, and is about as bad as Mike Lopez. He reads off all of the cards (the people who don't know the cards can just pause and look them up), assumes everyone knows approximately three cards and learned to play two days ago, and has no knowledge of the game (that he presents, at any rate) to back it up. At least with Buehler we got actual analysis of the match and amusing jokes, and didn't piss off the playerbase. Hagon makes the webcasts unwatchable.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Repeating a lie doesn't make it true, it just makes you believe it.

If you think I'm wrong, hold a legacy and/or vintage tournament with Force of Will banned. See what decks do well.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

If you think I'm wrong, hold a legacy and/or vintage tournament with Force of Will banned. See what decks do well.

Challenge accepted. Please, WotC, ban Force of Will now so that I can hold a tournament with it banned! Laughing

It looks like you have never tried to play storm combo/charbelcher in a format with mental misstep. Even the extended lie about Charbelcher breaking havoc can't be used anymore.

Challenge accepted. Please, WotC, ban Force of Will now so that I can hold a tournament with it banned! Laughing

It looks like you have never tried to play storm combo/charbelcher in a format with mental misstep. Even the extended lie about Charbelcher breaking havoc can't be used anymore.

You do realize the Misstep is the issue, not Force, right?

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

You do realize the Misstep is the issue, not Force, right?

Nope, it's the other way around.

The format has received plenty of critcism from the players this weekend. Pros seem to agree on control being unplayable currently... which is not all that surprising since people were saying it as soon as they saw the banlist.

Mental Misstep, Ancestral Visions need to come off of it (personally I'd unban Top too), many even have suggested Jace TMS should be unbanned and that certainly is a possibilty.

I don't think any combo cards need to be necessarily banned, stronger control decks (Misstep in particular) would make the format a lot healthier.

Even with some serious flaws Modern is still more fun than Extended (which sucks horribly tbh), after some moves are made to make control viable it'll look real promising.

---

As for the coverage... yes, it's horrible as usual. I can't understand how GPs and freaking SCG Open can have coverage so much better than the Big Show.

There are no excuses, WOTC should have improved their laggy coverage years ago. Not having live video coverage from the swiss rounds doesn't make any sense these days. I'm happy to see how the SCG circuit and GP coverage by ggslive has exposed the ineptitude of Wizards, and people have started to demand better coverage... but how much longer will it take before WOTC wakes up?
To the guy that said that control is not good before the meta needs to learn to play control first. The ban list is the most horrible thing I've ever seen. It is like WotC hasn't been dealing with cards for almost 20 years. You should ban things when they become a problem rather than peemtively banning stuff like that in such numbers. The problem is even a single ban can change the value of all the rest of the cards. Nobody can ever predict what happens when banning 20 cards together.... or actually you can, it will be a mess. Like having a tournament where there are 0 control decks in the top 16, 3 aggro decks, and 13 combo decks. LoL, that is an awesome!
The format has received plenty of critcism from the players this weekend. Pros seem to agree on control being unplayable currently... which is not all that surprising since people were saying it as soon as they saw the banlist.

Mental Misstep, Ancestral Visions need to come off of it (personally I'd unban Top too), many even have suggested Jace TMS should be unbanned and that certainly is a possibilty.

I don't think any combo cards need to be necessarily banned, stronger control decks (Misstep in particular) would make the format a lot healthier.

Even with some serious flaws Modern is still more fun than Extended (which sucks horribly tbh), after some moves are made to make control viable it'll look real promising.

---

As for the coverage... yes, it's horrible as usual. I can't understand how GPs and freaking SCG Open can have coverage so much better than the Big Show.

There are no excuses, WOTC should have improved their laggy coverage years ago. Not having live video coverage from the swiss rounds doesn't make any sense these days. I'm happy to see how the SCG circuit and GP coverage by ggslive has exposed the ineptitude of Wizards, and people have started to demand better coverage... but how much longer will it take before WOTC wakes up?

I think this format is already healthier than legacy and vintage combined.

Control players can whine less, and start building good control decks. If they can't win without horribly broken cards, it's not because the format is bad. It's that they are bad, and need broken cards to compensate for their lack of ability.

If this were a combo format, Zoo wouldn't be able to compete, and 12post wouldn't be the most played deck.

Here's something I've never understood as far as tournament rules go, why allow infinite activation loops? A player should be rewarded for the interaction that infinitely looping activations create, but they shouldn't be allowed to use an arbitrary value, so why not 2? Double value for using the combo, but it makes them fair.

That aside, I like the diversity of the decks in the top8, and even though I like to play active-control, with little to no regard for metagaming, many of the decklists look rather fun to get paired against (yes, even the deck that has a god-hand of Emerakul on t2). To be honest, I see this as a sign of success in the larger-than-usual banlist because it means the "Control is King" troupe took a massive kick in the pants. Hopefully as the format gets more comfortable with itself and slows down the balance will be restored (since obviously a Rock went 5-0 on day 1, which means the format isn't oppressively fast)

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
It's hard, no impossible actually to take seriously someone who thinks FoW is bad for Legacy and Vintage. Laughing Doubt you find any player of these formats, Pro or otherwise who'd agree with you.

It's hard, no impossible actually to take seriously someone who thinks FoW is bad for Legacy and Vintage.  Doubt you find any player of these formats, Pro or otherwise who'd agree with you.

Well to be fair, FoW was a "bad card" once upon a time (mind you, it was compared to Mana Drain), because it was hand disadvantage, until the game matured and by 2005 ("Type 1.5" aka Legacy is born) most people thought that the entire game was based on hand-advantage to make powerful combo finishes (to be fair though, the atrocious post-Scourge Onslaught standard, Mirrodin standard and Kamigawa standard didn't lend much against this.) But as far as SCG and GP/PT Legacy goes, FoW or GTFO tends to be the rule of thumb Will Modern be fine without FoW? Certainly.

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

It's hard, no impossible actually to take seriously someone who thinks FoW is bad for Legacy and Vintage.  Doubt you find any player of these formats, Pro or otherwise who'd agree with you.

Well to be fair, FoW was a "bad card" once upon a time (mind you, it was compared to Mana Drain), because it was hand disadvantage, until the game matured and by 2005 ("Type 1.5" aka Legacy is born) most people thought that the entire game was based on hand-advantage to make powerful combo finishes (to be fair though, the atrocious post-Scourge Onslaught standard, Mirrodin standard and Kamigawa standard didn't lend much against this.) But as far as SCG and GP/PT Legacy goes, FoW or GTFO tends to be the rule of thumb Will Modern be fine without FoW? Certainly.

FoW was never a bad card. Decks just didn't have the card drawing ability back then to recover from loosing a couple of cards unless it really meant you were going to loose, and combo wasn't really all over the place back then.

I like the match coverage from ggslive, but the commentary is bad and completely unprofessional, and often downright aweful.

It's only decent when someone like Kiblar gets up there between rounds and explains what the heck is going on in the tournament.

I would like to see wizards use the heck out of thier youtube channel to provide match coverage though.

For the record, I like Richard Hagon.

Edit: I will be upset if they only have cameras on one table.
Sooo... Sjöblom starts 12-0, is #1 on the standings for the whole day 2, only gets one feature match and doesn't get shown AT ALL in the top 8 webcast.

Does the coverage team have any idea what they are doing?
Ugh, having an hour long break 1hr15mins after you start is pretty ridiculous.  Just have the lunch before you start broadcasting.  You knew this format wasn't going to have 3hr long quarterfinals.
Sooo... Sjöblom starts 12-0, is #1 on the standings for the whole day 2, only gets one feature match and doesn't get shown AT ALL in the top 8 webcast.

Does the coverage team have any idea what they are doing?

Showing the US players was more important to them. I don't like it either, but I wasn't expecting anything else.
Anyone else not getting sound from the feed?
No sound no picture guys
SOUND IS TOTALLY MESSED UP IN LIVE FEED!!
Audio has gone out totally, with only odd noises coming through.
Audio has gone out totally, with only odd noises coming through.
Yeah I hear whispering.
Now it's paper shuffling and Rich Hagon whispering... But it sounds like its working at least.
Very nice video and sound quality compared to the competition.
Just gotta say again.  Sick coverage!! I only wish there was more of this calibre for the rest of the PT.  Maybe with guest commentary and only two camera's instead of what looks like 6.
Creepy Sam Black shuffle.
Coverage way better than GGS Live, which is often scattered, not very partial, and grainy.... Great coverage.... But darnit if combo wins this tourney Modern is gonna suck. I HATE COMBO DECKS.... Give me Zoo or Affinity, or any other winner.
Gotta say I love the way Nakajima shuffles. Just a random thought...
not sure i heard right but it sounded like Sam told Josh that he misplayed round 1...was he offering an excuse for losing overall?, or suggesting that josh misplayed..wish the audio on players was a tad louder
not sure i heard right but it sounded like Sam told Josh that he misplayed round 1...was he offering an excuse for losing overall?, or suggesting that josh misplayed..wish the audio on players was a tad louder

I do believe he asked if Josh misplayed.
Sign In to post comments