evil campaign hook

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
my group and I want to start an evil campaign and i would like to run keep on the shadowfell but am unsure of what i should use as a hook to let their evil motivations drive them to it rather than just say "you show up here to do this because i say so"
please do not critisize the choice to be an evil party, but if another level 1 campaign fits better i am open to suggestion.
my group and I want to start an evil campaign and i would like to run keep on the shadowfell but am unsure of what i should use as a hook to let their evil motivations drive them to it rather than just say "you show up here to do this because i say so"
please do not critisize the choice to be an evil party, but if another level 1 campaign fits better i am open to suggestion.

You mean, a hook as in 'why they are helping the town defend itself and close the rift' sort of thing?

They could be trying to use the rift for their own purposes, or be hired mercenaries aimed at taking out Kalarel, or be from a rival cult, or merely be trying to get the town on their good side for a greater purpose (infiltrate then betray, for instance).

I'm not familiar with many of the other modules that start at level 1 though.

In the evil games I've run, I've found it works best when they have a reason to work together. Some people think evil means insane (I can do what i want Woooo!), but remind them that they still have a greater goal, whatever that may be. This is the most important thing in evil games, otherwise they will kill each other within a few sessions.
Chandrak's awesome solutions to the 5-minute workday 'problem'
97183719 wrote:
Seeing as there is a disconnect between balance (quantifiable) and fun, (subjective and personal) discussing fun in a thread about balance because you find one system more enjoyable than another is as helpful as discussing religion in a thread about architectural engineering because you think cathedrals look prettier than outhouses.
Winterhaven is the central location of the party's criminal network. They spent most of their careers up to this point establishing smuggling routes through the city. Its fall to Kalarel would set them back years.

The party has been searching for a McGuffin of Power, and Kalarel has been kind enough to do the heavy lifting for them in securing it. The problem is, the ritual Kalarel plans to perform will canabalize the McGuffin, sending the party back at square one.

The party is comprised of former cultists of Kalarel, who became disillusioned with the man when they learned they weren't part of the cult's chosen circle and Kalarel slated them to become mindless undead minions. They escaped, but with some fearsome scars, and now seek revenge.

Orcus isn't the only power interesting the portal. Vecna seeks control of the portal for his own mysterious ends. In fact, Vecna is seeking out several such portals, which will make him a significant player in the struggle for the Shadowfell.
Rival cultists of Orcus who want to open up the rift themselves.

They hate goblins and heard there were goblins in the keep.

They want to turn Kalarel into their undead pet. Good thing there's a rift to the shadowfell nearby as well.

It completely depends on what kind of party you have and the different motivations that the characters have. 
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign
As others indicated, perhaps use the Hook Ominous Signs but make it one of your groups evil gods priest who is looking to complete a ritual and needs something from Shadowfell keep's cult such as a summon device or something.
I think putting the town on their good side is a good idea
thank you for the idea trismagestus
and thank you  to everyone else for good ideas i may use on future adventures