Schools of Magic

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone know if there is any symbols associated with each schools of magic, in any edition ?
Thank you. 
My knowledge only extends back to 3.0, but from that I've never noticed any specific designs or patterns associated with a particular school of arcane magic. Coming up with some might be neat for a Mage though.
I often borrow the old Runequest symbols, although they might better as Primal runes rather than arcane symbols. There are several which match names to teh D&D schools, and others that can be adapted.

See: www.maranci.net/rqfont.htm

Not sure about D&D but I seem to recall there being symbols in the Baldur's Gate game assoc with the schools of magic.  This is what I can recall:

Abjuration: a shield
Conjuration: a beast
Divination: a crystal ball
Enchantment: ?
Illusion: a faded outline of an image
Invocation: a finger shooting a magic missile
Necromancy: a skull
Transmutation: ?

I have found on google two images that seens to be the representations of the schools.

This image seens to be AD&D or older, or even unofficial material, the names of the schools are in portuguese. And from top, clockwise goes:

Illusion, Enchantment, Conjuration, Abjuration, Necromancy, Evocation, Divination and Transmutation.

The other image I found looks like chapter 10 of the players handbook 3.5ed, but without the letters. Unfortunately this image is too small.

I wonder if anyone has this image on a larger size. 

Im working on my wizard's Arcane Mark, but I not good at drawing. So I need good images to photoshop. Lol 
Looked through the ol' 3.5 art gallery, came across this. Dunno if it'll load on your end, tho.

Still ain't big enough to make out all of the text on the page, but cross-referencing the picture with the handbook itself gave me the names for all the symbols and from the looks of it, they're all perfect matches with your portuguese image.

~The Chilli God Has Spoken.

Yeah I eventually came across that image too. And used it two build my Arcane Mark, the basic is finished Im working one some nice effects for it now. If anyone got intrested in the result I can publish it here later. Thank You for the responses so far. =]
I have found on google two images that seens to be the representations of the schools.

This image seens to be AD&D or older, or even unofficial material, the names of the schools are in portuguese. And from top, clockwise goes:

Illusion, Enchantment, Conjuration, Abjuration, Necromancy, Evocation, Divination and Transmutation. 

That's an official illustration - it's in the revised version of the AD&D 2E PHB that I have.
Sign In to post comments