09/01/2011 TD: "It's Good to Be King. Very Good."

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I personally don't like the cartoony artwork of this card.  As far as the card's abilities goes, I like it a lot.  I LOVE slith firewalker, and even though there is less of a surprise factor, I do feel the evasion will be relevant enough to make this card pretty decent.  Plus I love the idea of another black/red vampires contender in standard.  Crossing my fingers for more strong weenie vamps!
Wow... It's not a 2/2 first drop, but this guy will bring pain. A lot of pain... Maybe he'll have room in my Modern Vampire deck.
Wonder what kind of good burn is coming in Innistrad. Lightning Bolt was mentioned, but I doubt they're bringing that back so soon.

I have to agree—this guy is going to be a beat stick.
...bolt is rotating...

Other than that, good article. Format kept it interesting.
Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/
MJ? What's your're creepy face doing on Innistrad!?

What is rare about this guy, other than the fact that he's a "king" and a "good card"?  Is that all it takes to be a rare these days?

Looks okay, will be great in formats with 4 or more turns.  It's on par with the Firewalker; they attack on the same turn.  This guy is one cheaper and frees up turn 2 for something like Incinerate, or Firewalker in some formats.

The clear impression to me is that Wizards expects a large share of the playable creatures to be humans.  Mike did list a few key ones, with Azure Mage and Puresteel Paladin being what came to mind for me.  But this card is entirely dependant on what opponents are playing, as even a Armored Warhorse makes it look bad.

Also, Stromkirk Noble really wishes it had haste.   I might even try getting Crimson Mage or something just to sneak out the ones I draw after turn 1.  A 1/1 that your opponent as a whole turn to react to just doesn't get me that excited.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I think its an interesting card.  Now I have to put some red into my crappy vampire deck.

I didnt really like the article though.  You should let MaRo do the gimmick articles like this. 

I didnt really like the article though.  You should let MaRo do the gimmick articles like this. 

I thought it was great considering the kind of information the column is supposed to focus on.

Works with Rosewater, not with Flores.  And not all the time either.

I'm a huge fan of yours, Mike, but let's keep it Shark-like.

First time I went to Gatherer and looked up "Human."  Didn't they say we'd never have a 'human lord' for all the problems it'd bring? 
Art is great, abilities are good too if there will be even more playable humans.
Article is great, I really enjoyed reading it. 
It's always strange when someone talks to themselves, no matter the circumstance.
That first +1/+1 is always the hardest...

Maybe it is a really good card, but I'm not quite sure how to use it.

Of course, not being blockable by humans will certainly help it get that first +1/+1... and so it may work well in Innistrad, where human creatures play a pivotal role.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

I really enjoyed this article, and I had a few laughs while reading it.  I am thoroughly excited about this card--even if noone ever drops a human on the table.  In limited it will be great, but the second ability (especially in mono red) will amplifiy this guy's worth beyond that of the added first ability.  

By turn two Stromkirk Noble will hopefully be a 2/2 with a 3/3 Stormblood Berserker or Blood Ogre fighting by his side.  Add to this the idea of being able to proliferate each of these creatures, back them up with burn, and generally storm along, then you have yourselves a fun time ahead of you (in my opinion anyway).  

It may be a stretch (as I am still learning to construct competitive decks) to even include a Contagion Clasp in red/bloodthirst decks after Innistrad's release.  Any thoughts?

Anyway, I really like the artwork on this card, and the flavor is very good for this set.

Good work, Wizards!
...Why is the Slith Firewalker update rare? This makes even less sense to me than Goblin Guide did. Granted, he's potentially a very good card, but I just don't see why creatures like this are put at rare.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Love it, love the article. you're still a great writer Mike. Also, mono red Modern startings..

16 Mountain
3 Teetering Peaks
19 lands

4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Goblin Guide
4 Slith Bloodletter
4 Stormblood Berserker
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
2 Hero of Oxid Ridge
1 Arcslogger
23 creatures

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Staggershock
4 Searing Blaze
3 Arc Bolt
3 Pyretic Ritual
18 other

Sideboard
4 Ghostfire
4 Perilous Myr
4 Dismember
3 ??
What's the flavor on humans not being able to block this guy? That they're too afraid of him (mortally or politically) to even touch him?
What's the flavor on humans not being able to block this guy? That they're too afraid of him (mortally or politically) to even touch him?

I think he rules over them; he freely walks amongst his subjects.
most underwhelming preview card ever.  the art is stupid looking like someone just did a wow screencap and the card itself is ver marginal.  The dervish is way better.

This.

I much prefer it when Mike makes predictions about format defining cards that turn out not to be, or even when he riles me with apologist showcases for busted mythics. This gimmicky stuff leaves me cold. :p

As to the card, I can see this seeing play. Felt uncommon to me though. Seriously hate the art. Maybe plays well with assault strobe?

most underwhelming preview card ever.  the art is stupid looking like someone just did a wow screencap and the card itself is ver marginal.  The dervish is way better.

In any other preview season this would be a strong candidate for "comment on a preview card most likely to look completely silly in a couple months". But this time around, it might not even crack the top ten, what with all the dissing of the new Liliana.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I don't mind the art, the pale face and outfit really stands out. Also the art conveys the card well. He doesn't have haste, he just strolls through the crowd. Sort of like a less cool version of Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Seems like it could take the role of the rotating Goblin Guide. Certainly not as fast, but capable of growing bigger, and a little bit of evasion, while not giving up any card advantage. It has potential!

Still, Perilous Myr isn't human and is one of the most common cards to side in against aggro, so unless he makes contact twice before the Myr dies (not likely) he's going to be within Myr-shock range.

In any other preview season this would be a strong candidate for "comment on a preview card most likely to look completely silly in a couple months". But this time around, it might not even crack the top ten, what with all the dissing of the new Liliana.

Are people really dissing Liliana? That's insane - she's simply awesome and is going to be in at least one high tier deck when Innistrad comes in.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Seems like it could take the role of the rotating Goblin Guide. Certainly not as fast, but capable of growing bigger, and a little bit of evasion, while not giving up any card advantage. It has potential!

Still, Perilous Myr isn't human and is one of the most common cards to side in against aggro, so unless he makes contact twice before the Myr dies (not likely) he's going to be within Myr-shock range.

Are people really dissing Liliana? That's insane - she's simply awesome and is going to be in at least one high tier deck when Innistrad comes in.

Go check the thread for the article that previewed her.

I've been playing (with some gaps) since the late 90's. Land Destruction can be fun! I really don't get the Command Tower backlash.
Didn't they say we'd never have a 'human lord' for all the problems it'd bring? 

I believe their wording implied that they wouldn't make a human lord in the near future (this was in, what, 2003?), because we-- as players-- weren't ready for it. This is a clear sign that we are ready. Also, MaRo is pretty careful to avoid the word "never."

Why is this card red?

Compare this with that other red vampire they spoiled. Where's the rage?

To me this should be a black card. If he's red only because humans "can't block" him, then he should really just have a different ability, like intimidate.
Ignoring the weird MJ resemblance, I am seriously starting to worry about the small fortune I'm going to end up spending on this set. 
Article annoying, card mediocre.  Against a lot of decks, namely those w/out early drops, and which don't want to waste removal on this card, it will get in for a lot.  Still worse than Goblin Guide or Grim Lavamancer though.  Against a lot of WW decks, you will presumably be able to burn their early drops away, and still get in.  I don't see this card getting much larger than a 2/2 without being dealt with though, which  means it's pretty mediocre.  Notice that it still only gets in for 1 on turn 2 and there's no way around that.  Means it's probably a little slow for T2, but then again, Innistrad as a whole appears to be underpowered so maybe it will be playable.  Don't get me wrong, people probably will play it in monored, it's just the case that the specific card will be bordlerline playable.  For me, Innistrad is a cool theme, with generally terrible cards. 
The card seems like one of those nasty little things that can become a big problem if it's not dealt with... sort of like that RW Kithkin 1 drop from the Lorwyn-Shadowmoor days. A lot of recent decks don't play that many creatures, so I could see him getting in early a few times and then it's big enough that you have to use a removal spell to take it out. (And really, if you have to spend removal to take out a guy like this, that's a spell you can't use on something really important.)

As for the article itself, I only skimmed it, because I hate these 'interview' style articles (even when Maro does them).  Also, someone needs to tell Mike that (a) Vampires don't eat people, they drink their blood, and (b) Lightning Bolt rotates out when his King comes in... although it's still in every other format, it seems odd constantly bringing up Bolt instead of Shock or whatever else.

Oh, and I'm one of the bashers of the new Liliana, and I stand by that opinion, at least until I'm proven wrong in a couple months. (I would love to be proven wrong, the art on her new card is gorgeous so I'd love to be able to play her.)
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)

In the main, I don't think they are. I think they were building up for a bigger splashier Lily, and got a slimline version. She's also more bespoke than the all-comers toolkit of PWs past.

That said, within the GY block she is amazing. and of course the market still tolerates the silly pricetags traders now get away with, so expect her to be £25 ($35) for openers, which is ridiculous.

Back on point, I think this card gets a lil eclipsed by the 2/2 zombie.
...Why is the Slith Firewalker update rare? This makes even less sense to me than Goblin Guide did. Granted, he's potentially a very good card, but I just don't see why creatures like this are put at rare.

As pointed out in the article, we've already seen Bloodcrazed Neonate, another red vampire with the slith ability. If there are a number of those in red at all rarities, having their "leader" at rare makes sense to me.
blah blah metal lyrics
Didn't they say we'd never have a 'human lord' for all the problems it'd bring? 

I believe their wording implied that they wouldn't make a human lord in the near future (this was in, what, 2003?), because we-- as players-- weren't ready for it. This is a clear sign that we are ready. Also, MaRo is pretty careful to avoid the word "never."

The big difference is that at the time plenty of recently-printed cards had human erratta that wasn't on the typeline. Printing a lord then (especially one that affected the opponent's cards) would mean lots of looking up or guessing. Nowadays the number of Fresh Volunteers seeing play is low so we don't have to guess if they're human or not. Though I do doubt Marketing will let them print a "Destroy all Humans " card soon.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Were you not here on Tuesday for that Silent Departure Card?  This is far more exciting compared to that one...
As for the article itself, I only skimmed it, because I hate these 'interview' style articles (even when Maro does them).  Also, someone needs to tell Mike that (a) Vampires don't eat people, they drink their blood,

Only doesn't count as eating people if Black Pudding doesn't count as eating cows. (They merely consume the blood significantly fresher.)

They're consuming part of a human which, at least as far as pretty much every piece of culinary definition goes, means they're eating human.
They're consuming part of a human which, at least as far as pretty much every piece of culinary definition goes, means they're eating human.

Isnt that "drinking", not "eating"?

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

While it is nice to have had the card right on top of the article,

it would have been even nicer to put a spoiler after it, warning us that the entire article afterwards would be completetly pointless.

Honestly, I complain about something once every 8 months only, but if you have nothing to say, just don't say anything...

This was a huge waste of time. A chance I had the willpower to just give up looking for gems and skipped 50% of the lower half.

The card itself seems all right. Obviously good with haste and/or removal. The deck it goes into seems quite straightforward, but it will probably be a good addition to that deck.

MJ? What's your're creepy face doing on Innistrad!?

Gentlemen: The King of Pop is back. And he can't be blocked by humans. Guard your chillins with Vedalken Certarchs baby.
Worst Flores article ever, and that is saying something.  A garbage, gimmicky way to present information, and sorry, not a good enough writer to pull it off.  I don't post much, but this is a dog.

It is much more entertaining when you post one week that Caw Blade is not a problem with cherry-picked statistics, and then have to come back after the banning with statistics that show completely the opposite, and act like you knew it all the time.  Now that's entertainment!

Eh. Mike's sat out enough of the goofier theme weeks that he's allowed one of these in my book.

But fair warning: start making a habit of this and we will start calling you MiFlo.

While it is nice to have had the card right on top of the article,

it would have been even nicer to put a spoiler after it, warning us that the entire article afterwards would be completetly pointless.

Wouldn't that be an unspoiler?

Laughing