09/01/2011 FtL: "Up on the Rooftop"

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I think I just Nerdgasmed.
Great flavour.
Now THAT is the kind of card that makes this block shine! Oozing flavor (and probably bits of grey matter the zombies were saving for a snack) and positively begging to be built around. I wasn't sure if I'd be wanting to build a zombie deck, but this is pretty strong incentive! I just hope we see some nifty zombie-themed card draw to go with this.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Infernal Caretaker will welcome this enchantment into my zombie deck with glee.  Perhaps with a side of self milling.

Amazing Flavor.

I am getting a strong urge to xenograft my everything into Zombies.

Corpse Harvester and Bridge from Below? Not infinite but damn synergystic with the Storm.

Amazing Flavor.

Why? If you control them, they aren't in your hand.

But yeah this card is srs bsns. I love it!

Amazing Flavor.

=(

Shame.  Still, great card.

Amazing Flavor.

=(

Shame.  Still, great card.

Conspiracy would work.

Just in case someone hasn't noticed yet, if you highlight the picture of Korlash in the article, there's another hidden letter in there. I'm not the one who discovered it, but it's there. They are giving away little hints about something that might turn out to be great.

As for the card, I LOVE IT. The flavor is overwhelmingly good. And it's so breakable.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Now that is an exciting Zombie(-enabling) card! Besides Carnophage, I've never been too keen on the tribe, but Rooftop Storm just made me grin from ear to ear.

How about a free Changeling deck?
Rooftop Storm

turn 6, mega Zombie drop. also zombie plants. then you've got Plants vs Zombies inside of MTG 
Um, did Wizards, like, KNOW that my favorite tribe is Zombies, and that my favorite tribal deck of all time is U/B Zombies, with card draw and graveyard recursion? I seriously **** my pants when read this article. Not only is the preview card freakin' tight work, but I know what every single one of the cards in those decks are, because I LOVE ZOMBIES!12@! With all this Vampire crap running around, nobody forget what the TRUE and ORIGINAL black tribe is!
I love it. We're gonna see it getting abused in legacy with Phage, the Untouchable and other big zombies.
At last, an unplayable blue rare enchantment I will be happy to open! Thankyou Commander for making MTG fun again :D
I might have to make a non-knight Haakon, Stromgald Scourge deck just to abuse the changeling instants like Nameless Inversion, Crib Swap and Blades of Velis Vel. You know, for the shizz and giggles.

Or I could just go with the ol' Conspiracy trick, which rounds out nicely with Rooftop Storm. Turn 5, Conspiracy, turn 6, Rooftop Storm into Rune-Scarred Demon into RSD into RSD into RSD into Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.

... free spells are nuts.

Edit: fail is me, didn't even notice it specifically said creature spells, making my changeling-instants plan redundant. Still, free creatures are boss!
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I might have to make a non-knight Haakon, Stromgald Scourge deck just to abuse the changeling instants like Nameless Inversion, Crib Swap and Blades of Velis Vel. You know, for the shizz and giggles.

Or I could just go with the ol' Conspiracy trick, which rounds out nicely with Rooftop Storm. Turn 5, Conspiracy, turn 6, Rooftop Storm into Rune-Scarred Demon into RSD into RSD into RSD into Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.

... free spells are nuts.

Edit: fail is me, didn't even notice it specifically said creature spells, making my changeling-instants plan redundant. Still, free creatures are boss!

If you're going to use this with Conspiracy (or Artificial Evolution), you might as well just cast Sparkcaster a billion times.
Pretty much. Conspiracy + Rooftop Storm are going to be two thirds of many different three card combos, with quite a few of those being infinite.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Great flavour.

I respect you, Pegaweb, but I think you failed on this observation, as WotC has for all of blue Zombies in Innistrad. Consider:

"Zombie" is generally and folklorishly connected to two different types of things:

1. The risen dead. A corpse is animated and brought forth, controlled my a malevolent will; either a evil spirit inhabits it, or a "master" is controlling it like a puppeteer. The term "living dead" is better characterized by a synonym, "animated dead," where the animus is not within, but without, and furthers the puppet analogy.

2. a person has had his/her will taken over, and is like unto death, but is not actually dead. There is still the connotation of a master, although the animus is now within.

Dr. Frankenstein is a man of science. He conceives, in Shelley's fantasy, that Man can supplant God as a creator, and decides to make life. It is not in his world to raise the dead, no, he knows that what has passed is gone, and Mary Shelly conceived that even Man cannot part the veil and bring souls back to their departed remains. What Frankenstein does is reassembles the parts and pieces of flesh and body, and revives a living creature. This creature eats, thinks, talks, wants. It has life. It even, as cinema extrapolated, want of bodily passion in the form of Woman. Frankenstein's monster was, for want of a better word, a construct of flesh and brought to its own life. It is a flesh golem. To call it a "zombie" is a gross mischaracterization. Abomination is closer, golem closer still, although Magic has capitalized on Golem in a particular artifacty manner, it may still apply BETTER than "zombie."

Because of this, the appellation to using this card to suddenly spawn Undead Warchiefs is misplaced, as it doesn't attempt to bring them to out of the ground, it brings them to life.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Just in case someone hasn't noticed yet, if you highlight the picture of Korlash in the article, there's another hidden letter in there. I'm not the one who discovered it, but it's there. They are giving away little hints about something that might turn out to be great.

As for the card, I LOVE IT. The flavor is overwhelmingly good. And it's so breakable.

Thanks for this.  now, I have to go back and highlight every piece of Innistrad artwork for hidden clues.  lol.

Just a curiousity, but why is this blue?

They're Evil they live in an almost normal Dungeon. Oh they're also running a restaurant.

Cafe Gruesome: The epitome of in Dungeon dining.

http://cafegruesome.thecomicseries.com/

I misremembered it as black.  I guess its blue to go along with that DFC that gets you the 13/13 trampler?  Just a shot in the dark. 
Just a curiousity, but why is this blue?

Because it's something a mad scientist, rather than a necromancer, would use to bring the dead to life.
Great flavour.

I respect you, Pegaweb, but I think you failed on this observation, as WotC has for all of blue Zombies in Innistrad. Consider:

"Zombie" is generally and folklorishly connected to two different types of things:

1. The risen dead. A corpse is animated and brought forth, controlled my a malevolent will; either a evil spirit inhabits it, or a "master" is controlling it like a puppeteer. The term "living dead" is better characterized by a synonym, "animated dead," where the animus is not within, but without, and furthers the puppet analogy.

2. a person has had his/her will taken over, and is like unto death, but is not actually dead. There is still the connotation of a master, although the animus is now within.

Dr. Frankenstein is a man of science. He conceives, in Shelley's fantasy, that Man can supplant God as a creator, and decides to make life. It is not in his world to raise the dead, no, he knows that what has passed is gone, and Mary Shelly conceived that even Man cannot part the veil and bring souls back to their departed remains. What Frankenstein does is reassembles the parts and pieces of flesh and body, and revives a living creature. This creature eats, thinks, talks, wants. It has life. It even, as cinema extrapolated, want of bodily passion in the form of Woman. Frankenstein's monster was, for want of a better word, a construct of flesh and brought to its own life. It is a flesh golem. To call it a "zombie" is a gross mischaracterization. Abomination is closer, golem closer still, although Magic has capitalized on Golem in a particular artifacty manner, it may still apply BETTER than "zombie."

Because of this, the appellation to using this card to suddenly spawn Undead Warchiefs is misplaced, as it doesn't attempt to bring them to out of the ground, it brings them to life.

Considering that Magic creates it's own unique interpretations of classical fantasy tropes, I really don't see how this isn't flavorful.

Frankenstein took pieces of corpses, stitched them together, and used lightning to "animate" that creation. Quite literally animating "the dead". This card captures that idea quite nicely, even if it doesn't exactly align with what folklore defines as a "zombie".

In general I wouldn't say that zombies are blue-aligned. But Frankenstein and his monster definitely are, and you could always imagine more zombies created that way or by a more magical equivalent, and particularly as research assistants for mad scientists, and that seems to be what wizards is saying is the norm on Innistrad. I suspect it has more to do with spreading monsters out around the color pie than any general reimagining of zombies throughout the game, but it's not a huge stretch.
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but it was strange. On the From the Lab segment "Up on the Rooftop" look at the large picture of Korlash. You can see writing on it. If you highlight the picture you can see that it is a message and it has an email. What is that all about? Something about hunting vampires. Can anyone tell me what that means????
Honestly I really don't like this card. By the time you get it out you've probably cast all your zombies and/or you have enough mana that you don't need to cheat them into play anymore.
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but it was strange. On the From the Lab segment "Up on the Rooftop" look at the large picture of Korlash. You can see writing on it. If you highlight the picture you can see that it is a message and it has an email. What is that all about? Something about hunting vampires. Can anyone tell me what that means????

Dearest Lorelei,

Day of days! My training is complete, and now I am on the trail of that most unholy of abominations — Vampire. The one I hunt is clever, there is no doubt. But I have faith on my side! Faith in Avacyn, faith in my training, and above all, faith in the truth that the blessed sleep is nothing compared to living a life with you.

Yours,
Pitre
23rd of Hunter's Moon, Ava. 719

rircarothma@gmail.com

Dearest Lorelei,

Day of days! My training is complete, and now I am on the trail of that most unholy of abominations — Vampire. The one I hunt is clever, there is no doubt. But I have faith on my side! Faith in Avacyn, faith in my training, and above all, faith in the truth that the blessed sleep is nothing compared to living a life with you.

Yours,
Pitre
23rd of Hunter's Moon, Ava. 719

rircarothma@gmail.com
I emailed the address on the above post and received this reply...intriguing!

Dearest Lorelei,

It has been a harrowing journey, to be sure.  Erdwald is so much
bigger than Hanweir!  I fear my life has ill prepared me for such a
place as this.

I've been relieved of my meager kit by a gang of footpads that greeted
me at the town's gates, saying they were "inspectors."  They were out
of sight before I realized they had fled with all I brought, save the
clothes on my back.

Fear not my love!  For adversity is the soil in which opportunity
sprouts.  I have taken in with the church, and they have greeted me
with open arms!  A priest has given me food and shelter, and only asks
me to perform menial tasks in the upkeep of the church yards.  It is a
job I am all too well suited for!

Yet Avacyn has a plan, even for me!  My priest has also been
instructing me in the art of vampire hunting.  I know it sounds
dangerous, and it is, but you can be assured that when I return, you
can hold your head up high as we march through the town in our wedding
procession!

Yours,

Pitre
14th of Hunter's Moon, Ava. 719

Yeah, it's part of the viral marketing campaign WotC is doing for Innistrad.  Pretty flavorful.  There's somewhat of a compilation of the various "letters" here: www.gatheringmagic.com/innistrad-in-lett...

56866188 wrote:
I knew the attempt to "make the game simpler and more [accessible] to new players" would get forgotten and it sure didn't take long. Gary Adkison

Dearest Lorelei,

place as this.

clothes on my back.

procession!

Yours,

Pitre

haha thanks! I was affraid it was the R@D having some RP going on and accidentally posted it ...somehow and I was afraid to ask XD

Dearest Lorelei,

place as this.

clothes on my back.

procession!

Yours,

Pitre

haha thanks! I was affraid it was the R@D having some RP going on and accidentally posted it ...somehow and I was afraid to ask XD
"Dr. Frahnkensteen, are you alright?"

"My name... is... FRANKENSTEIN!!"

I cannot +1 JFM2796's comment enough. 

56866188 wrote:
I knew the attempt to "make the game simpler and more [accessible] to new players" would get forgotten and it sure didn't take long. Gary Adkison
Sweet, Graveborn muse, Rooftop Storm... it's like undead elfball. Do need someway of winning before you bleed out though. Could be fun in Modern (Since Muse was last printed in Tenth Edition.)  Too bad Onslaught Block isn't Modern, because this is DYING for Oversold Cemetary. Dying... see what I did there?  Oh I crack my self up. Alright, I'll stop or else these puns will be the death of me. :D
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)

I wasn't gonna say it, thought it was pretty obvious...  FUTURE SIGHT!! Or at least the magus from, um, future sight.  I don't wanna cast just the zombies in my hand, small potatoes, I want to drop the whole deck onto the table!  pretty sure this works too..

Apparently MaRo's reference to the Frankenstein Monster (otherwise known as Elias or Verney) being a zombie was not a one-off misconception, but a massive part of the block design.  I am extremely saddened by this.  I will continue to be in love with Innistrad due to other aspects (DFCs, amazing art, top-down design), but blue's Abominations went from being my favorite part of the block to my least favorite because of things like this (although I still count Civilized Scholar as my favorite single card).  The version of this set's blue component I would have designed would have been amazingly awesome; this is nothing that the game couldn't already do in a dozen other ways and is not terribly in-flavor.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

I wasn't gonna say it, thought it was pretty obvious...  FUTURE SIGHT!! Or at least the magus from, um, future sight.  I don't wanna cast just the zombies in my hand, small potatoes, I want to drop the whole deck onto the table!  pretty sure this works too..

At last, someone who also thought of that

I also thought of the Cloudstone Curio + Grave Defiler + Rooftop Storm combo. Get it?
I still insist that Bridge from Below is going to show up.
Sign In to post comments