Psionic Power errata

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Did the new errata nerf any builds?
Not really for the ardent or battlemind.  Mostly language clarification or fixing stupid omissions.  Auto-damage effects have been capped at once per turn, but I don't think that anybody will notice.  The biggest thing I notice is that Lodestone Lure now requires the full pull, which shuts down some of its more blatant abuses as a pseudo-immobilizer.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Monolithic Vision

Blackstone Guardian Paragon Path feature, page

49:

Change “pull the target” to “slide the target”.

Laughing Finally.

Is it just me or did they break Lodestone Lure in a different way?

Melee 2

Hit: Constitution modifier damage, and you must pull the target 1 square. Until the end of your next turn, the target can move only to squares that are adjacent to you.

Augment 1

Range: Melee 5

Hit: As above, but you must pull the target 4 squares.

Augment 2

Range: Melee 5

Hit: 1[W] + Constitution modifier damage, and you must pull the target 4 squares and knock it prone. Until the end of your next turn, the target can move only to squares that are adjacent to you.

If "you must pull the target x squares" means that you can't pull less than x squares, the power becomes inoperable if the target is fewer than 2/5 squares away.  If the target is adjacent to you, you can't pull it 1 or 4 squares; likewise, if it's 3 squares away, you can't pull it 4.

Herp derp. 
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
My absolute favourite Ardent daily has been nerfed, but it was probably a necessary one - Invitation to Defeat had some fairly ludicrous interactions, particularly with Punishing Eye, allowing a non-damage attack to trigger not one, but two hits of extra damage, and boosting Twin Strike and other multi-attacks to insane levels, since it triggers on taking damage, and Punishing Eye deals separate damage from the attacks which trigger it.

Yes, this came up in my game once.  Yes, it was awesome.  Yes, it was also HELLISH confusing in play, so having it toned down to once per turn isn't a huge issue.  Invitation to Defeat is still a very nice power.  The rest, I couldn't really care less about.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Actually, yeah, I suppose it did, I hadn't thought of it stacking with itself.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
While I'm glad they fixed the obvious gaping loophole here, Lodestone Lure is still one of the best defender powers around, to a degree I find overpowered.

I'm not sure R&D understands how powerful the movement denial of this power is.  Given the expansive definition of "move" in the RC (any means of entering another square, voluntary or not), there is literally no way that the creature can move to a square not adjacent to the battlemind, not even by teleporting or through forced movement.

That's significantly better than slow, immobilization or even being restrained, and this is an at-will effect that the battlemind can maintain all encounter, so long as he's hitting (and as it's a weapon attack vs. Will, there's a good chance of that).

I wouldn't have minded if they had been a bit more aggressive with the errata--limiting the effect to "move willingly" would have been a good step, as well as having the effect last only as long as the battlemind is adjacent.
Void shard has been nerfed a lot:

Before: any enemy who ends its turn adjacent to the shard is immobilized until the end of its next turn
(so, forever immobile)

after: any enemy who start its turn adjacent to the shard is slowed until the end of its turn
(automatic slow)
Damn, that's not a nerf, it's a complete redesign.  Though, admittedly, permanent immobilisation without teleportation is pretty OP.
It wasnt perma immobilize, you could be freed from an ally moving you / dragging you out of the way, not permanent but tieing up thus wasting the action of another enemy is useful.
A simple shift on the enemies turn will simply stop the enemy ever becoming immobilized. That is why i never liked it as it doesn't really do anything. At least now it is a complete upgrade to static mote.
Hence saying it's a redesign - the change from end of turn for a round to start of turn for a turn completely alters the tactical niche that the power occupies.  Formerly, it was a strong push to get away from the Shard on your turn, now the Shard actively holds the target in place.
The change to Void Shard was a serious nerf, not just clarification of text like they said.  Also, it doesn't really fit the flavor text now since the slow condition doesn't really "hold fast any creature that slips too close."  On the plus side the augment 1 option is now more useful.  It is pretty much a complete upgrade of Static Mote, so there's really no reason not to retain it.

The change to Manifested Horror doesn't say what the replace text shold be.  I'm pretty sure it's a mistake since it runs right into the errata for Reality Meltdown.
I Can Kill You With My Brain: The Psion's Handbook - Wiki | Discussion Thread
Immobilized for ending would often not trigger at all... slow for start of turn with no roll required will very often have a real impact, especially for stopping escape from the followup burst.

I'd consider it an upgrade for a lot of games, since I doubt the "permanently immobilized next to it" would fly at a lot of tables if you had a consistent way to make it happen.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director