[CRL] Monster movement

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maybe someone asked it, maybe not...

Some monster cards say : move your monster adjacent to the closest character.  But when my character is adjacent to the line of his tile and with the line of the monster tile, where do the monster moves ?  Adjacent to me on his tile (the tile next to my character tile) or adjacent to me on my tile ?

Thank you all for your time,

Christophe
Monsters always move to the closest legal movement square from their point of origin.

This can sometimes mean that they're adjacent to you, but on a different tile.  This can occur when your Hero is standing on an edge square of a tile and a monster is required to move adjacent to them.  This can greatly effect the play of the game, for sure!

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

Where does it say that warfteiner? Everything I see says when given a choice, the player chooses where to move the monster. Meaning he should be moving the monster in the most advantageous place possible, even if it's behind you etc.

Sorry for the delay.  I'll look up page references when I get home!

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

This is actually the reason I came here. To look for clarification.
A Hero can be adjacent to a Monster on another tile (squares next to eachother but on different tiles). When you explore and draw a monster card, they usually state something along the lines of "moves adjacent to the closest hero", and since you're (almost) always on the edge of the tile there's some confusion. Does it move adjacent to the hero but stays on its own tile, or does it always cross over onto the hero's tile? I've seen cards that specifically mention it moves onto the hero's tile, which leads me to suspect that the normal behaviour of the monster is to move adjacent to the hero but stay on its own tile (unless the card states otherwise).

There is unfortunately no clear definition explaining this, and I think it deserves finding its way into a future FAQ.

What you said about monsters taking the shortest way possible to the hero makes sense too. (Any luck finding that reference?)

The way I've been playing this with my friends is that the monster's controller will move the monster to the adjacent square that we all find to be the most beneficial to the party. It does not seem to break the game, as the hard monsters are still hard, and it reinforces teamwork throughout the game. Since doing this, we've been paying better attention to each others' tactics and powers.
Sign In to post comments