Budget Tribe == Merfolk, Goblins, Elves?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which would you say has the most game right now?

Merfolk, Goblins/RDW, and Elf all seem to have very strong points, plus can be built for less than $100 (for the most part).  In fact, there are only a few key cards to each, and you can probably find the bulk just lying around most places.  However, the different aggro strategies of each and their individual synergies lead to a deck that is more than just the sum of the parts.

The big question is: which direction to start?

My initial thought was Merfolk because the budget player can start out and then start adding in the money as you go, and Merfolk probably has the most difficult money cards to get ahold of:  Aether Vial, Cryptic Command (possibly).  Plus it probably has the most options as far as transmuting the deck into different forms over its life from aggro through control and every stop inbetween.  

Then my thoughts turned to RDW, which is basically made up of a pile of commons (Lightning Bolt, Searing Blaze, etc) and only a few key Gobbos on the money side.   Yes, I'm piling Sligh, All-in-Red, and Goblins into one category.  Because of this, it has a lot of directions all with the same result.  20 to the dome as fast as possible.  It, too, can get better over time by adding in proper fetchlands and Blood Moons. 

And finally is the Elf deck that always seems to show up.  Again, a pile of commons and uncommons with only a few key pieces.  The only problem with Elf is, I think, that it is probably the most linear and probably the least flexible of the three.   But is it also the most powerful and most consistent?

So, out of the three, which is going to give a budget player the most success?  Which of the three is the most fun? What advice can you give to someone trying to break into the format when he's never played consistent tournaments before?
SHAMANS!!

















Main Deck


60 cards


4  Copperline Gorge
4  Fire-Lit Thicket
6  Forest
4  Karplusan Forest
4  Mountain


22 lands

4  Bloodbraid Elf
4  Bosk Banneret
4  Elvish Visionary
3  Fauna Shaman
4  Flamekin Harbinger
4  Rage Forger
1  Vithian Renegades
4  Wolf-Skull Shaman


28 creatures

3  Burst Lightning
3  Lead the Stampede
4  Lightning Bolt


10 other spells


Sideboard

4  Combust
4  Goblin Ruinblaster
3  Krosan Grip
3  Obstinate Baloth
1  Vithian Renegades


15 sideboard cards


 it's a blast to play
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
I disagree with a few card choices(like I use Leaf=Crowned Elder) but he's right, it IS a blast to play, and it kills out of literally nowhere.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
My mind has been blown. I'll need to get the pieces of it in a second.

Don't bother with Merfolk- mono-red and elves are more solid. I personally vote for landfall boros, because its sick. 

(at)MrEnglish22

My mind has been blown. I'll need to get the pieces of it in a second.

Don't bother with Merfolk- mono-red and elves are more solid. I personally vote for landfall boros, because its sick. 



Landfall Boros though practically REQUIRES expensive fetchlands.  Since you need them to turn on the landfalling part. 

Maybe start with a mono-red burn and morph it into Boros over time..... ?
Nobody said getting into modern was cheap... Red is still near the bottom because you don't need shock lands
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
I know it isn't cheap.  I guess I was looking for a way to see if I even like Modern without spending all the cash to build a 12-post deck (not to mention I just sold my Vesuva's for top dollar.  yay!)  

But with the cash I do have on hand, I'd like to try out the format.  I just don't know where to begin.
Heh, my friend made a rat tribal deck that made a few top 8's in overextended. It's rather cheap too, the mana base won't break you either.

edit: It handles zoo fairly well after board it seems, since that was prodominatly made up of zoo variants.
My mind has been blown. I'll need to get the pieces of it in a second.

Don't bother with Merfolk- mono-red and elves are more solid. I personally vote for landfall boros, because its sick. 



Landfall Boros though practically REQUIRES expensive fetchlands.  Since you need them to turn on the landfalling part. 

Maybe start with a mono-red burn and morph it into Boros over time..... ?



The zendikar fetchlands might not be a bad investment because they will always be played no matter what, in modern, legacy, vintage, etc and right now aerent THAT expensive(I mean theyre not what Id consider too expensive especially since they risk going up over time, but it all depends what kind of budget you're on, if your only problem is getting 4 arid mesa and 4 sczlding tarn[which aerent the only expensive lands typically played in boros btw] then maybe theres your problem, lol).

Boros is a fun deck to play, its good, but its kind of a single minded strategy; you chunk out tons of aggro if they play a mass removal spell you're kind of screwed. Plus its kind of a double standard mentality because you want to draw spells at the right time, yet you need to draw lands at the right time and you've got practically nothing to control your card drawing.

Sign In to post comments