Help Me Hone My Dragonborn Sorcerer?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Howdy folks. I need some help with my Dragonborn Sorcerer. The character has undergone some recent changes (death, a trip to the Shadowfell, that sort of thing) and has come out the other side with a pretty specific goal.

Let me see if I can condense this down into to something easily digestible:

While he was dead he was visited by a spirit that informed him that his destiny is to become the paragon of all Dragon kind. All he must do to attain his rightful place is to kill every dragon he comes across.

Keeping all that in mind I've been taking him down the path of the most Dragony powers and feats that I can find. There are, as you all know, plenty of powers and feats to choose from and I've done my best. But with the equipment and magic items? Well, I'm afraid that's where I really get swamped. There's just so much out there.

So, what I ask of you, O benevolent denizens of the CharOp board is to help me make my Dragonborn Sorcerer the most Dragony he can be. Essentially he's Dragon Soul Sorcerer using predominantly fire based attacks.

I've included his current Character Summary for your perusal.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Simeth, level 12
Dragonborn, Sorcerer, Dragonsoul Heir
Build: Dragon Sorcerer
Spell Source Option: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul Option: Dragon Soul Fire
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Light blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Staff)
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Dragon-Bound Arcanist (+2 to Intimidate)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 21, CON 12, DEX 14, INT 11, WIS 9, CHA 21

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 11, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 16

AC: 25 Fort: 24 Ref: 21 Will: 26
HP: 79 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Intimidate +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Athletics +11, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +7, Heal +5, History +8, Insight +5, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +6, Stealth +8, Streetwise +11, Thievery +8

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Sorcerer Attack 1: Acid Orb
Sorcerer Attack 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer Attack 1: Explosive Pyre
Sorcerer Attack 1: Dazzling Ray
Sorcerer Utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer Attack 5: Moon and the Stars
Sorcerer Utility 6: Sudden Scales
Sorcerer Attack 7: Blazing Bolts
Sorcerer Attack 9: Prime the Fire
Sorcerer Utility 10: Sorcerous Pulse
Dragonsoul Heir Attack 11: Breath of the Dragon Soul
Dragonsoul Heir Utility 12: Dragon's Revenge

FEATS
Level 1: Draconic Spellcaster
Level 2: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Unarmored Agility
Level 8: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)
Level 10: Avowed Dragonfoe
Level 11: Ancient Soul
Level 12: Empowered Dragon Breath

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Breaching Gauntlets (heroic tier) x1
Steadfast Amulet +2 x1
Flaming Incendiary Dagger +2 x1
Defensive Staff +2 x1
Counterstrike Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
Crownring of Tchazzar (paragon tier) x1
====== End ======

One thing I would point out is replacing Versatile Expertise with Staff Expertise.  Unless you think you'll be picking up a magic dagger soon?  I'd stil recommend Staff Expertise though.  It'll let you avoid OAs when attacking with Ranged/Area attacks and the selection of magic items for staffs is very nice (Staff of Ruin is a prime example)

Avowed Dragonfoe is nice, but very situational.  Do you know if you'll be facing Dragon-type enemies a lot?  If so, I wouldn't go too overboard with the idea.  Making yourself too specialized could weaken you to other things your DM may throw at you  Tongue out 

Are you using a magic Dagger for your implement?  You have the Superior Implement Training, but no Dagger implement?

Edit: Regarding Staff Expertise:  If Light Blade Expertise was usable with implements, that would defintely be another option. 
Whoops!  Forgot to say that he's currently sporting an Flaming Incendiary Dagger +2.  I've edited the post to include that fact.

The current campaign has had two recurring Dragon foes for us to battle.  So I'm not too worried about about running out of Dragons to slay.

Thanks for the reply, Tarran. 
Drop Expertise. Draconic Spellcaster is a better option, especially if you use an Ashen Rod of the Dragonborn (also it opens up Ninefold Master).

Probably the strongest way to build a Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer is spammed Dragonbreath, it is a minor action, so using it two to three times a round is an option if you can continually recharge it. Best option here is Nusamnee's Atonement (spelling on that is wrong I think), as it lets you hit an ally with a burst attack (such as dragonbreath) in order to recharge Dragonbreath.

There was a guide kicking around on optimising Dragonbreath...