08/31/2011 BoaB: "Fiend Hunting"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I think I just found a new 4-of for my Venser/Sundial UW deck.

Seriously, that sounds like it'd be AMAZING for my purposes. 

Interesting...   You could use the sundial to end the turn in response to the return-the-exiled-creature trigger, making it never come back...

And I'm curious, if you Venser-exile the hunter, and then end the turn, does it come back at the beginning of the opponent's end step? That's how I think it would work, because that's now the "next end step". Which means you could Venser-exile the hunter, let it resolve, hunter goes, return-exiled-creature trigger goes on the stack, End the turn, they never get their creature back. At the beginning of their next end step, you get your Fiend Hunter back, it exiles another of their creatures, and you can do it all again on your turn.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

Interesting...   You could use the sundial to end the turn in response to the return-the-exiled-creature trigger, making it never come back...

And I'm curious, if you Venser-exile the hunter, and then end the turn, does it come back at the beginning of the opponent's end step? That's how I think it would work, because that's now the "next end step". Which means you could Venser-exile the hunter, let it resolve, hunter goes, return-exiled-creature trigger goes on the stack, End the turn, they never get their creature back. At the beginning of their next end step, you get your Fiend Hunter back, it exiles another of their creatures, and you can do it all again on your turn.

If I use Sundial of the Infinite after Venser-blinking one of my own permanents out, they don't reappear until the beginning of my opponent's next end step. So yeah, you have it right.
Given that he only temporarily removes his target, I wish they'd give him a name like Fiend Catcher or Demon Binder.  The thing about using magic collars to trap demons who can't be killed is a major plot point and should be (perhaps is) referenced on cards; this would have been a perfect place to mention it.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Given that he only temporarily removes his target, I wish they'd give him a name like Fiend Catcher or Demon Binder.  The thing about using magic collars to trap demons who can't be killed is a major plot point and should be (perhaps is) referenced on cards; this would have been a perfect place to mention it.

I expect a curse aura, "silver collar", that does something nasty to your opponent. Or maybe it'll be a regular ol' pacifism effect for a creature. Either way, I'm sure it'll happen. We haven't seen most of the cards, so the odds of it being referenced are still very good.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
As an avid Pod player, I'm happy indeed =D

Look at the art, he isnt killing the werewolf he is just binding him. So this is a reference.
you all have it wrong one think you all need to know is one word...................
Clerics
Wow - journey to nowhere on a stick.  Powerful card, especially if instant bounce or flicker effects are available.  A little odd that it's called "fiend hunter" but can target anything.  I guess a fiend is whatever the church decides is a fiend.
Yeah, I love how my original favorite creature type is getting some love again finally. Which is good considering I doubt there will be many elves haning around Innistrad.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Well, that was a very well written article. So, when do we get Building on a Budget?

Momus, the Greek god of sarcasm

Pray to him.

Well, that was a very well written article. So, when do we get Building on a Budget?

Yeah, this is an interesting read, but I had to double check I was reading the right column. Where is the deck? :P
Yeah, I love how my original favorite creature type is getting some love again finally. Which is good considering I doubt there will be many elves haning around Innistrad.

WotC has actually said Elves are extinct on Innistrad, so you're probably right unless we see some Elf Zombies coming out of the ground at some point.
Very nice. I use Journey to Nowhere in my Birthing Pod deck so it'll be nice to be able to search it on command. I'm also interested in using it on my own creature so that I can sacrifice it again to search up a 4 cost card, while getting back my other creature and activating any enter the battlefield effects again. It could come in very handy. Also this card is amazing against the currently popular Phantasmal Image.
i have sent him like 4 emails on clerics like 4 week in a row it is cheap it works well and can beat a few decks a that are meta decks