SPOILERS!!!!

346 posts / 0 new
Last post
So...anyone else think Equiptress will be a deck to beat now?
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Please post?  MTGsalvation doesn't have it up yet and you've already spoiler tagged this thread.
Mentor of the Meek + Puresteel Paladin + Living Weapon? Not exactly sure what you're referring to.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Yes.

Basic List:

11 Plains
4 Seachrome Coast
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Inkmoth Nexus 
2 Mox Opal

1 Accorder's Shield
4 Flayer Husk 
1 Sylvok Lifestaff
4 Mortarpod
2 Swiftfoot Boots
3 Sword of Feast and Famine
2 Sword of War and Peace

4 Ponder

3 Spellskite
4 Puresteel Paladin
4 Mentor of the Meek
3 Trinket Mage

ALSO: Reaper from the Abyss is awesome.  Grab him while he's $5! 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
CA usually wins games, and that is a lot of CA. Probably need a few Dispatch or creature disruption though, depending on how prevalent Aggro is Post-Rotation. But yes, Paladin + Mentor, means 2 mana turns into a Husk and 2 cards.

I def. agree with the Reaper comment as well.

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Puresteel was already going to be one of the more popular decks post rotation since it loses basically nothing except Preordain. Mentor makes that deck pretty disgusting I think. Right now Puresteel is great when you draw Paladins or terrible when you don't, so this gives it another source of card advantage to "go off" so to speak.

I'd also go with Dispatches, you need to have removal in some form, and Dispatch is easily the best option. I guess Dismember is another option, but Dispatch is disgusting with metalcraft.

I think it definitely has a good chance of being a great deck. It's capable of drawing cards for so cheaply and so early in the game. I'll probably end up doing a budget version of the list using riddlesmith instead of spellskite and Psychosis Crawler instead of some swords. Psychosis Crawler will be causing a lot of life loss a turn, since you can pretty easily draw 5+ cards in a turn.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Right now Puresteel is great when you draw Paladins or terrible when you don't

This is false, Puresteel decks can be very good even without having Puresteels outl.  Inkmoths with swords, living weapons with swords, trinket mages with swords, basilisk collars, the deck is still good even if puresteel doesn't hit the battlefield. 
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
Right now Puresteel is great when you draw Paladins or terrible when you don't

This is false, Puresteel decks can be very good even without having Puresteels outl.  Inkmoths with swords, living weapons with swords, trinket mages with swords, basilisk collars, the deck is still good even if puresteel doesn't hit the battlefield. 

He's not that far wrong, really. While the deck doesn't scoop when it doesn't get a Paladin, it ends up being much worse than Caw or other options in the format when they don't get their namesakes.

Basically, Puresteel decks are like higher-variance Caw decks. They're fantabulous when they get a good hand, but their poor hands are REALLY poor. 
soooo..... a 3 mana liliana.

nice.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

soooo..... a 3 mana liliana.

nice.

It's just okay. It's not as good as Jace Beleren, and I think it's probably worse than previous Liliana, but I'm not entirely sure.
I'm up in the air on her at the moment. Self defense is strong of course. The 3cc making her more relevant is good.

Her plus ability is bothersome... but I can think it can be worked with. There is not enough support for it right now so she's basically a 3cc cruel edict until support exists outside of Smallpox and Reassembling Skeleton + some crappy flashbacks. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE

Show
Finally, they preview a decent double-faced card. I thought the mechanic was going to be wasted. I mean the Mayor is okay, but meh. Put this thing in a R/G Beatz deck and watch it pound. Turn 1 Birds, Turn 2 Outlaw, Turn 3 Hero of Oxid Ridge. If they whiff Turn 2, that's 13 to the dome on Turn 3.

Outlaw, such a beating.
Photobucket
Outlaw, such a beating.

Really? In a meta where the crusaders barely reach playable status, we are regarding the outlaw as a beating? No thanks. I've yet to see a single transform card worth getting excited over.

Liliana in Modern or Legacy is actually pretty darn amazing. Makes loam control lists pretty solid.

Photobucket
I can totally see him in Dragon Stompy. Trinisphere down or Chalice at 1, instantly get a  4 turn clock. The double red might be a little hard to get, but shouldnt be out of reach.
Photobucket
what do people think about the double-sided cards? I don't like them, like the actual pysicalact of flipping them over. They should have used the flip template from Kamigawa, and I don't know why they didn't.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Or tokens... would've been far more practical.

See Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang 
what do people think about the double-sided cards? I don't like them, like the actual pysicalact of flipping them over. They should have used the flip template from Kamigawa, and I don't know why they didn't.

Two thinga:

A) This post is in a tournament setting.  The whole DFC debacle belongs in speculation.  I don't care how I interact with the card if it is good (see Chaos Orb).

B) Flip cards don't work due to border/type changes.  We'll surely see transforming lands or LAND//Mans in the rest of this block.  The design space is crucial.  Already looking at only the simpe DFCs spoiled, most wouldn't work as flips.  Not only because the Comp rules say the cards can't flip back. 
Show
The only thing that I'm really excited about are the dual lands and the Better-than-Grave Titan. Lilianna might be good if there's useable black stuff in this set.
Gonna buy a box, maybe two. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Two thinga:

A) This post is in a tournament setting.  The whole DFC debacle belongs in speculation.  I don't care how I interact with the card if it is good (see Chaos Orb).

B) Flip cards don't work due to border/type changes.  We'll surely see transforming lands or LAND//Mans in the rest of this block.  The design space is crucial.  Already looking at only the simpe DFCs spoiled, most wouldn't work as flips.  Not only because the Comp rules say the cards can't flip back. 

Why couldn't the "flipped side" say, "at the beginning of each upkeep, it no spells were played the previous turn, flip [cardname]"?
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
one of the lands is gonna be the counterspell land they mentioned they'd print.

What do you guys think of the viability of werewolf tribal?  I know tribal decks are simplistic and roll over and die to wrath effects, but a 2 cmc lord that pumps out essentially 3/3 tokens every turn coupled with a 3/3 doublestrike for 3 looks interesting.

I guess it all depends on how easy it is to flip them and keep them flipped...

No, that land has been confirmed to be a creature, now.
Land creature?  Where?
Land creature?  Where?

On twitter, Maro said it was now a creature and is more powerful.

(I think he underestimates how powerful something being a land is). 
Yeah, Aaron Forsythe said on ggslive that they made a decision that the invitational cards should be creatures.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
I saw somewhere on future set speculation that WOTC promised a counterspell land for innistrad.  I'll go dig up the thread...

Read the 3-4 posts above you
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
I really want to like Reaper but I'd much rather cast a Grave Titan. He'll maybe see play in Birthing Pod strategies but not really elsewhere. It should be noted that his ability is NOT a 'may'.

Fiend Hunter would have been insane in Ravnica Standard. Still would play him though.

Liliana needs a lot more support to be played.

Village Ironsmith has some nice flavor text.

Boneyard Wurm might be good.

I'd like to see Mayor be good.

Immediately shot my friend texts upon seeing Mentor spoiled. Puresteel could possibly have ran away with the format if they weren't losing Basilisk Collar (Though, to be fair, they lose Preordain too and they are definitely the most 'aggressive' with their Preordains out of any deck in the format).

At least Olivia is Mythic or she'd be Limited-wrecking.
Current decks: Type II: B/R Vampires Extended: Modern: U/G Scapeshift 1.5: Ichorid, Elf Combo
Yeah, Aaron Forsythe said on ggslive that they made a decision that the invitational cards should be creatures.

Oh, really?

Oh, really?

Fair enough, although that's not an invitational winner's card.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
So far colour me unimpressd.  The arena demon looks okay, and the 1/1 unblockable hexproof guy might see play... but other then that put me down for meh.

Liliana will probably see play if they print enough cards you can easily abuse her +1 with.  Something like roar of the wurm where the flashback is much less than the casting cost or madness in the next set
What's going to be the state of Blue's card draw after the rotation? Losing Preordain and Jace is bad news, Ponder is alright, but Innistrad better have some good card draw.
What's going to be the state of Blue's card draw after the rotation? Losing Preordain and Jace is bad news, Ponder is alright, but Innistrad better have some good card draw.

why? I could seriously live with one year where blue isnt the color dejuer to most of the field. I mean I understand that control is a very usefull tool in the grand scheme of things major tournament wise, but pretty much for the last decade every year you see some uber U/? at the table for at least half the entries. Let blue have a little less power overall and say throw some loving to green or black. Reds decent now and probabaly after rotation. White has tons of goodies if it could get a touch more depth in it in a few key spells. Nothing huge just some curve smoothing or something. Artifacts are supremly playable after rotation as well as having enough counters in alot of colors. 

Sorry for the rant but the above quote irks me as you always have to plan for 3/4th of the fields to be some kind of blue permission control if you ever decide to go to a bigger tournament scene, and lately wizards is being lax on the counters to such a meta in the other colors. I mean, no I dont need something that trumps blue all the time, but at least give me some realistic outs when it gets out of hand.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage

why? I could seriously live with one year where blue isnt the color dejuer to most of the field. I mean I understand that control is a very usefull tool in the grand scheme of things major tournament wise, but pretty much for the last decade every year you see some uber U/? at the table for at least half the entries. Let blue have a little less power overall and say throw some loving to green or black. Reds decent now and probabaly after rotation. White has tons of goodies if it could get a touch more depth in it in a few key spells. Nothing huge just some curve smoothing or something. Artifacts are supremly playable after rotation as well as having enough counters in alot of colors. 

Sorry for the rant but the above quote irks me as you always have to plan for 3/4th of the fields to be some kind of blue permission control if you ever decide to go to a bigger tournament scene, and lately wizards is being lax on the counters to such a meta in the other colors. I mean, no I dont need something that trumps blue all the time, but at least give me some realistic outs when it gets out of hand.

Did you not play standard during the jund era?  Blue was barely played at all, except for occasional jace decks, which weren't even that good. 
ok ill conceed that point but it still stands that, in a overall sence that blue usually dominates tournament scenes. A little less time with our controlly friends might liven up the meta more as long as no broken mechanics crop up in other colors
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
no I think valakut should have been legendary, jund could be beaten by RDW, and steel isnt prevailent in my meta but could theoretically be delt with by sweepers. How bout this, tell me a meta other than the alara block of standard in which blue has not had a strong to overwelming presence, and ill conceed the point. 

kami/rav?

O_o i thought at first you were saying mirrodin/kami because the only relevant color in that one was green for elf and nail.

also kami/rav didn't have a blue prevalence because every deck was multicolor and it was really one of the most balanced standards ever had, and i can claim that knowing i've pretty much played since revised.

w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]

Did you not play standard during the jund era?  Blue was barely played at all, except for occasional jace decks, which weren't even that good. 

Disagree. Cuel Ultimatum was still played(not saying it was GOOD, but that it was played) and Blue was present in ALL the decks that were played to beat jund. also, in a decade, saying "Jund didn't play blue!" isn't saying a whole lot.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:

on another note, i am ashamed of how they made garruk.   it is so so bad in standard.

the reason is because for it to be relevant in very many ways it needs to have 2 or less counters, and can punch itself to get to the other side that doesn't suck as much.

that puts it in freaking shock range and then gets killed by 2 1/1's or something dumb like that.

Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
I can't even process him.  I await with morbid fascination the number of firstborn sons/virgin daughters/limbs/vital organs that SCG wants in exchange for presales of him.
I can't even process him.  I await with morbid fascination the number of firstborn sons/virgin daughters/limbs/vital organs that SCG wants in exchange for presales of him.

you know alot of people are going gaga over garruk when he really only promotes bad plays and overextention.

it just looks so so bad to me right now.

note to everyone if i get one i'd be fine trading it because i know it is not gonna be as anywhere good as people think it is.
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green

56859838 wrote:
Show
63344365 wrote:
56733088 wrote: