Are there any good themes for a monk?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
My group decided that we are going to select themes now, but after going over them, I can't find any that suit a monk very well. A good portion of them seem to be Martial based. Anyone out there know of any good monl themes? your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
What kind of monk? And what source of themes are you allowed/not allowed?
The monk I'm currently playing has the wilder theme from Dark Sun. It's a psionic striker theme, and it opens up the Resurgent Wilder paragon path, which is a decent path for the path starved monk.
Pack Outcast just might be the most broken path for Monks (even if your DM doesn't allow you to use weapliments in Wolf Form, you can still use Ki Focus for sure). The real kicker is the level 5 feature (CA against all adjacent melees). Broken awesome for an AoE melee class.

Guardian is pretty great in general (even if your MBA is weak). Noble Adept is really good.
You should check out the theme handbook handbook.
Then once you pick a good theme handbook, you can see which themes are good.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Unfortunately, that doesn't have any handbooks for themes for monks.  Someone should start one.
I see what you did there.
So, I'm a centered breath monk, When I decided to be a monk I knew I wanted to play him like a drunken monk a then I found this build community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... which has been fantastic so far. As much as I like the idea of that pack outcast  theme It doesn't make a whole lot of sense with my character... not sure..
Pack Outcast -> Exiled from order?

Fluff is mutable. Mechanics aren't.
wouldn't I also end up with that atwill where I turn into a wolf? or is that an optional replacement power?
I have a Centere Breath Monk that is mc'ed Cleric.  I like the Hospitaler theme for him.  It represents his order that is known for caring for the ill, rather than a knightly order.  The RP feature of invokng hospitality actuallyt still works really well!
I would consider one of the themes with immediate powers since monks hardly have any immediate attacks (they only have 2, one at 19 and one at 25) and depending on build might not have many immediate utilities.

Guardian's counter could work for a monk with a good MBA and Knight hospilatler could work for a centered breath monk.  Escaped slave could work for the level 3 power swap, but the default feature is not good for a monk unless you somehow have a good bluff score.
With pack outcast, you would be stuck with the level 1 at-will. Not sure if you are interested in working that into your character's story (some sort of transformation, again, fluff is mutable). Gaining +1 speed and shifting as a minor (when you shift out) in that form is not exactly a bad deal.

Weigh the pro's and con's. CB Monks have it easier than other monks for CA, but I personally don't think it holds a candle to the level 5 feature (plus it free's up a feat). Noble Adept gives you a very versitile power. Guardian/Knight Hospitaler gives you some immediates. etc etc etc.
So, I'm a centered breath monk, When I decided to be a monk I knew I wanted to play him like a drunken monk a then I found this build community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... which has been fantastic so far. As much as I like the idea of that pack outcast  theme It doesn't make a whole lot of sense with my character... not sure..

Rather than transforming to wolf form, you can instead transform into "drunken" form.  Your "bite" is just a swing of that bottle you smashed on the edge of the bar, etc. etc.  I think PO would be a great theme for a drunken monk.  You just need to isolate the actual mechanics of the powers and then throw on your own description.  Aside from how powerful the level 5 feature is, it also just totally goes with your concept - none of the enemies really know wtf he's going to do next, so they all grant CA.
Refluff Hospitaler.  You heal by thowing stiff drinks to your friends when they get hit or by making drunken comments.

You have a problem with kung fu werewolves?

Okay, that's awesome.

Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Considering how much I LOOOVE john talbain (my favorite character in the darkstalker series) I most certainly dont. In fact if I knew about themes when I was first making my character then I probably would have named him such an chose that theme. But we're picking these a bit late so it would be weird for me to suddenly be a werewolf.... As much as I want to
Guttersnipe has mobility and evasion.
Esspecially good if you have the back story of being from the street before joining the monistary. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
I personally love Scatterbrained's Pack Outcast + drunken monk idea.

I transform to drunken form!
*grab bottle*
*swig*
*smash*
*wave bottle menacingly*
noow, hew wantsh shum of THIS!?
*hic*

Endless RP possibilities. I say you could even explain each time what you're doing to gain CA.

A. "Here, take a sip of this, it'll put some hair on your chest"
B. "I f*cked your mother!"
C. "Yannow *hic* you're great *hic* we should be friendsh *hic* have a drink! *smash bottle*"
D. *drops pants*
Guttersnipe has mobility and evasion.
Esspecially good if you have the back story of being from the street before joining the monistary. 

Or just 'from the street', because there's no requirement that he's ever seen a monastery.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Okay, that's awesome.

+5
for my stonefist I went order adept, because hey, +2 will is awesome.
Considering how much I LOOOVE john talbain (my favorite character in the darkstalker series) I most certainly dont. In fact if I knew about themes when I was first making my character then I probably would have named him such an chose that theme. But we're picking these a bit late so it would be weird for me to suddenly be a werewolf.... As much as I want to

Talk to your DM.  See if you can find a werewolf, get bit, and get this theme instead of lycanthropy.
for my stonefist I went order adept, because hey, +2 will is awesome.

Yeah, although now it's +1 will. Still good, but not as.
Oh Content, where art thou?
When and where did Order Adept get changed?
It got changed when they did the final compilation of the article.
So I ran the pack outcast theme by my DM an as I thought he would he deemed it to strong. Can't really blame him though, with the build I use I'm already really difficult to hit.I think he just thought it would be a bit overpowered on me. So now I'm deciding between these two other themes, mercenary an gloomwrought emissary. Gloom would kinda work well with the paragon path that I was gonna take ghostwalker, Merc would be good for my defenses when the lvl ten kicks in. one question though, would any of the starter powers work with my area attacks? like could they be applied to a group hit by an area attack or would I have to chose a single creature in the attack to trigger them?
Gloomwrought Emissary is the quintessential average theme. It doesn't do anything too badly but it also never wows.

Mercenary on the other hand has a pretty boss base power, a good level 10 feature, terrible powers, and an alright level 5. I personally care a lot for base powers because that's what you use, so I prefer it. I have to agree that Guardian and Knight Hospitaler are better though. Or some of the Dark Sun themes. Not that that should deter you from picking either as they will be useful, but there's some even better choices out there.

EDIT: Oh crap I totally forgot. Iron Wolf Warrior has ridiculous powers for the monk. Since you have an AoE at-will, Wolf's Bound and its kind are free multiattacks, which you more or less need to kick ass and take names as a Striker. I highly, HIGHLY recommend that theme for you, as a Theme Handbook writer. You won't regret it.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Too bad monks are not really using the high [W] weapons...
I agree that Iron Wolf is good for monks. However, monks tend to lack a lot of damage modifiers on melee weapon attacks. Ie, it's good but not as strong as it first looks unless you use a Blurred Strike Ki Focus, which is a particular build.
I actually just was looking at iron wolf, and the power trigger off of melee attacks. Monks tend not to make many melee attacks. Also the powers hit a close target, that probably would have been able to be targeted with an area attack if you used one. It's not really free damage for monks, so its usefulness is really build dependent for monks.
It got changed when they did the final compilation of the article.

Actually, it was an official errata.  It should be in the compiled errata now.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

So I ran the pack outcast theme by my DM an as I thought he would he deemed it to strong. Can't really blame him though, with the build I use I'm already really difficult to hit.I think he just thought it would be a bit overpowered on me. So now I'm deciding between these two other themes, mercenary an gloomwrought emissary. Gloom would kinda work well with the paragon path that I was gonna take ghostwalker, Merc would be good for my defenses when the lvl ten kicks in. one question though, would any of the starter powers work with my area attacks? like could they be applied to a group hit by an area attack or would I have to chose a single creature in the attack to trigger them?

One house rule my group uses is we changed that to ONE target adjacent to you grants CA (and only you, not your allies), if your DM is amendable to those kind of modifications. This quite powerful, but slightly more balanced. I'm a sucker for that level 1 power though.