08/30/2011 SF: "Demonoid Phenomenon"

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'll be first to point out that either your math is questionable, or else I don't quite understand how Doubling Season works.  Looking at just the first turn, it seems that casting Cenn's Enlistment would result in four tokens.  Using Rhys would then attempt to put four tokens in play, which would then be doubled to eight, leaving a total of 12 tokens (not 16 as mentioned).
the Rob Zombie references are all wrong!  You previewed a DEMON, not a zombie!!!  Btw, TGG, his math is good.
the Rob Zombie references are all wrong!  You previewed a DEMON, not a zombie!!!  Btw, TGG, his math is good.

No, I don't think it is. Rhys puts a token onto the 'field for each token. There are 4 tokens there, so Rhys tries to put 4 on, and Doubling Season makes him put 8 on instead. He winds up with 12 tokens, not 16. Each subsequent turn his math makes the answer move further away from the correct answer, since he's quadrupling when he should be tripling.

The correct answer is 1,452 tokens.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Yep, my napkin calculations for that were wrong. I'll send in an updated table as I was adding in an extra set of tokens for each step instead of properly accounting for the replacement effect of Doubling Season on Rhys.

This is why I can't have nice things!
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
HELL YEAH, IM THE SUPER BEAST!!!
New armchair maths should be right! yfrog.com/j2ffsfj

Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
Awesome preview card.

...But what happened to the poll results from last week?  >_>
What about Doubling Season out, then kicked Rite of Replication on a Precursor Golem?
What about Doubling Season out, then kicked Rite of Replication on a Precursor Golem?

Please don't go tearing holes in the fabric of the universe. Frown

Please don't go tearing holes in the fabric of the universe. Frown

It's not that hard. It only get's difficult, when you repeat the process... and have a doubling season on the battlefield. (BTW: It's a REAL shame that WotC didn't print the Doubling Season in at least 1 Commander deck).

@ Preview card:
So Anowon, the Ruin Sage forces ALL players to sacrifice a creature, and doesn't need an additional trigger (morbid). The new demon has to choose ONE creature (but maybe the better one). Without the triggering event, he does nothing.... Mmmh, I'm not sure about his effectiveness. Nontheless, I like the fact that this demon combos well with Liege of the Pit.

Aww, I was just going to point out how it only tripled rather than quadrupled...

The math on the Sergeant is right, though.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
New armchair maths should be right!

New armchair maths look good, and my compliments on reading and responding to your comments page.  Too few columnists here do so.  It's a breath of fresh air to have one who does.

maybe this is a stupid comment, but personally i think "Abyssal Reaper" would have been a better name than "Reaper from the Abyss." the latter sounds too much like an awkward Yu-Gi-Oh card, post-butchered-translation.
I know you were working with black and blue, but birthing pod seems perfect for this guy. Podding him out even guarantees a trigger that turn (assuming he makes it to EOT).
Get him out and get it on! 

Calcite Snapper; Neurok Commando; Thrun, the Last Troll You can't kill with Demon triggers what you can't target.

Thrun doesnt have shroud.. He has hexproof. You could regenerate him ofcourse but this is a mistake =P

Please don't go tearing holes in the fabric of the universe. 

No need to tear holes in the fabric of the universe... We've already done that for you over at Draw3Cards

Riddle: How many Golems with Precursor Golem, Rite of Replication and Doubling Season?

Featuring bonus Sigil Blessing action after the dust clears!

Reaper doesn't excite me very much, but I'm not really the target audience. Sad to say, in stereotypical geek fashion I came here to point out three errors. The quadruple-not-triple has already been addressed, the Thrun's-hexproof-not-shroud has already been mentioned, and the third is just a couple of typos that it's the editor's job to catch ("none-to-subtle" -> "none-too-subtle", and "a pretty good deal with it was" -> "a pretty good deal if it was").
From the article:

Having one of our own creatures die anytime is pretty easy too.

Card(s)Effect(s)
Kjeldoran Dead, Phyrexian JuggernautSacrifice creatures to get better ones.

I think the Phyrexian Juggernaut should be Phyrexian Dreadnought.

ow, and thanks for some nice card ideas for my own deathtriggers deck.
No shoutout for stitcher's apprentice? It is amazing for morbid decks. For two mana, you create a 2/2 token, then sacrifice a creature. You can sacrifice the token to itself to activate morbid effects!
@ Preview card:
So Anowon, the Ruin Sage forces ALL players to sacrifice a creature, and doesn't need an additional trigger (morbid). The new demon has to choose ONE creature (but maybe the better one). Without the triggering event, he does nothing.... Mmmh, I'm not sure about his effectiveness. Nontheless, I like the fact that this demon combos well with Liege of the Pit.

Anowon forces all players to sacrifice a creature on YOUR upkeep, Reeper kills a creature of YOUR choice at the end of EVERY turn (your turn and your opponent's turn, or in multiplayer even more often).  Anowon gives your opponents the choice of which creature to sacrifice, and takes one from each player.  Reeper gives YOU the choice of which to kill and can take them all from the same player if for example in a multi-player game one player has all the best stuff and others may or may not have nothing.

Anowon's advantages are not needing a trigger and being a sacrifice so the creatures can't regenerate and indestructables are killed etc.
Reeper is much more likely to actually get a trigger (at least in my experience Anowon never lives to my next upkeep) and will likely do much more damage with that trigger (killing dragons instead of saprolings).

@ Preview card:

Anowon forces all players to sacrifice a creature on YOUR upkeep, Reeper kills a creature of YOUR choice at the end of EVERY turn (your turn and your opponent's turn, or in multiplayer even more often).  Anowon gives your opponents the choice of which creature to sacrifice, and takes one from each player.  Reeper gives YOU the choice of which to kill and can take them all from the same player if for example in a multi-player game one player has all the best stuff and others may or may not have nothing.

Anowon's advantages are not needing a trigger and being a sacrifice so the creatures can't regenerate and indestructables are killed etc.
Reeper is much more likely to actually get a trigger (at least in my experience Anowon never lives to my next upkeep) and will likely do much more damage with that trigger (killing dragons instead of saprolings).

And, let's not forget, getting +2/+3 and flying for that extra :B: in the mana cost.

Reaper makes combat generally unpleasant for your opponent - if either of you chumps, they lose their best creature at eot...
M:tG Rules Advisor
Is it only me to think about using this with eldrazi tokens ?
So is it just me or does Rob Zombie in his video "Meet the Creeper" looks like Tezzeret if he sang metal?
So is it just me or does Rob Zombie in his video "Meet the Creeper" looks like Tezzeret if he sang metal?

Corrupted Tez just looks like Rob Zombie in general.
Sign In to post comments