Hengeyokai slated for debut!

126 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rule of Three states that Hengeyokai will be making a formal appearance as a new player race come October.

Prior to a little research, I had absolutely no idea what a Hengeyokai is or was, so I've taken the initiative to initiate the uninitiated as I school myself.

In AD&D2E, Hengeyokai were a race of shapeshifters who could take the form of an animal, a bipedal-humanoid-animal, and a human. There were twelve sub-races (Carp, Cat, Crab, Crane, Dog, Drake, Fox, Hare, Monkey, Raccoon Dog, Rat & Sparrow), all of which had associated attributes and clues to the animal form in the human's appearance (distinguishable features, hair color, etc). There were also alignment restrictions associated with the animal forms, ability score adjustments and other such AD&D traits that supported the fluff and crunch effect of the various forms. They are based on a group of mythological Japanese creatures that include a handful of anthropomorphic spirits.

I'm interested to see how they implement all of this, 4E style! 

Danny

..... kitsune......
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
As am I. I do hope there is some variation in the race, similar to the genasi manifestations.
I was hoping for Vanara, but the Hengeyokai is good enough me.  Looking forward to this month, too bad it is so far away.  More themes!
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
glad there's a new race, very curious about it. also a lil disapointed not to see vanara, nezumi and a full write up for kenku... the wait continues. i guess i'm still glad that we get anything at all this exciting.
I used to play one in a Kindred of the East game long ago.
glad there's a new race, very curious about it. also a lil disapointed not to see vanara, nezumi and a full write up for kenku... the wait continues. i guess i'm still glad that we get anything at all this exciting.

I, too, would have preferred a full write-up for kenku; if only for the fact that it is entirely different from all of the currently available races.

Hengeyokai, depending upon the way it's implemented, has the possibility of being another half-supported Shifter re-hash. -- Got my fingers crossed!

Danny

Rule of Three states that Hengeyokai will be making a formal appearance as a new player race come October.

Prior to a little research, I had absolutely no idea what a Hengeyokai is or was, so I've taken the initiative to initiate the uninitiated as I school myself.

In AD&D2E, Hengeyokai were a race of shapeshifters who could take the form of an animal, a bipedal-humanoid-animal, and a human. There were twelve sub-races (Carp, Cat, Crab, Crane, Dog, Drake, Fox, Hare, Monkey, Raccoon Dog, Rat & Sparrow), all of which had associated attributes and clues to the animal form in the human's appearance (distinguishable features, hair color, etc). There were also alignment restrictions associated with the animal forms, ability score adjustments and other such AD&D traits that supported the fluff and crunch effect of the various forms. They are based on a group of mythological Japanese creatures that include a handful of anthropomorphic spirits.

That was the list in 1e and 2e (the 1e Kara-Tur boxset also referenced tiger hengeyokai).  An article in Dragon 266 introduced additional varieties, such as the badger, weasel, frog, lynx, owl, hawk, panda, and octopus.  In 3e, the list changed as the drake was dropped and replaced by the badger and weasel.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
I was hoping for Vanara, but the Hengeyokai is good enough me.  Looking forward to this month, too bad it is so far away.  More themes!

Feywild.  You know what a hamadryad is, don't ya? Wink
Redundant race. We already have the Changeling, which really needs support. This could have been a good way to do it.

They could have given it the Dark Sun treatment, and changed it to fit the particular setting. Another missed opportunity to support something that is undersupported. 
Redundant race. We already have the Changeling, which really needs support. This could have been a good way to do it.

They could have given it the Dark Sun treatment, and changed it to fit the particular setting. Another missed opportunity to support something that is undersupported. 

Hengeyokai aren't much like Changelings.  Changelings can change into any humanoid; Hengeyokai have precisely three forms.  So, while your Changeling can be Dave, or Bob, or Mary, or Krusk, or Leglolas, the Hengeyokai can only be Dave The Human, Dave The Foxguy, or Dave The Fox.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Hengeyokai aren't much like Changelings.  Changelings can change into any humanoid; Hengeyokai have precisely three forms.  So, while your Changeling can be Dave, or Bob, or Mary, or Krusk, or Leglolas, the Hengeyokai can only be Dave The Human, Dave The Foxguy, or Dave The Fox.

I don't know much about them. I just saw shapechanging race. It still could have been an interesting way to give them the Dark Sun treatment, imo. You know, sort of like the Becomer article, only good. :P 

I don't know much about them. I just saw shapechanging race. It still could have been an interesting way to give them the Dark Sun treatment, imo. You know, sort of like the Becomer article, only good. :P 

And now you know.  And knowing is half the battle!

As far as 'the Dark Sun treatment' goes ... well, for me, that universally means 'make it suck', so I think not doing so is a good thing.

Feywild.  You know what a hamadryad is, don't ya?

Ummm... a hamadryad is pretty much described as a regular dryad.  A hamadryas baboon is a baboon.  I want my monkey folk!

are hamadryads monkeys? i have to admit i dont know the significance of the (hama) part but im pretty sure a dryad is nothing like a vanara except maybe that they live in the forest.
as for adapting changelings to be hengeyokai? thats just silly. giving them a "darksun treatment" how do you picture that since the only change to any race in DS was either their name or culture and not actual rules... so a changeling (hengeyokai) is like, "oh ya i can change into anything but i was told to stick to these three forms"
Yeah, hamadryads are not particularly like Vanara.  Vanara aren't tied to one tree, and don't die if that tree dies.
hamadryas is a baboon! i'll assume that is a coincidence but if it turns out to be some kind of play on words and hamadryads turn out to be monkey/tree-folk i could deal with that.
hamadryas is a baboon! i'll assume that is a coincidence but if it turns out to be some kind of play on words and hamadryads turn out to be monkey/tree-folk i could deal with that.

Hamadryads aren't monkey/tree people. They are dryads that have the ability to leave the proximity of their tree, at least that's what they have been in older editions.
i just googled it and apparently the mother of the 8 predominant hamadryads was named Hamadryas. it then goes on to say that that also was the most common kind of primate in the region but they werent perticularly aroborial.

It is a type of baboon.  It is also a genus of butterfly.  It is a coincidence.  And I still want my monkey folk!
you're right nothing i've read so far leads me to believe that hamadryad = monkey+treefollk. it is indeed a coincidence. Depending on how its done, if there is a monkey hengeyokai i could be willing to live with that instead of a vanara for the time being.

As I said long ago I think Badger hengeyokai would be a perfect CON + INT race.
I would like to see a "Clever trickster" race power that lets you use INT in place of CHA for Bluff and instead of DEX for Theivery.

The Oriental Adventures/L5R  spirit realms book has other D&D game mechanics for the traditional shapeshifters of Japan. ( Not that I expect modern WOTC to use stuff AEG wrote but it could be good for a homebrew)

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

A dryad made by Bucky O'Hare creator and G.I. Joe scribe Larry Hama?

I didn't know he created Bucky O'Hare.
Now I know... 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
... And knowing is half the battle.

COBRA!!!!
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
It would not shock me if the Hengeyokai end up being a reboot of the shifters from the ground up, and leaving the old Longtooth and Razorclaws to rot.  At the same time, I more honestly expect the Henge will be reduced to one, perhaps 2 subtypes. Fox and Monkey make the most sense themeatically I suppose. I also imagine the pure human form will be off the table to help streamline them from a design perspective.

I look forward to seeing what we get either way. New races are always welcome in my book. As long as they stand well on their own, I can work around not having racial feats. 

Thank you for this.  I too feel a bit more enlightened!  Thanks to everyone else for adding to the info as well.
Idle speculation, because I can.

3e Hengeyokai had a Wisdom penalty; in 4e, they will have a Charisma bonus, as a few redone races have had their penalty scores 'converted' into a bonus to the other stat in the defense pairing.  Their flex stat will be two of the physical ones (probably DEX and CON, as most Hengeyokai animals are small and thus STR seems unlikely).

Their ability scores will not change between forms, because having to recalculate big chunks of your character sheet in mid-combat sucks.
Idle speculation, because I can.

3e Hengeyokai had a Wisdom penalty; in 4e, they will have a Charisma bonus, as a few redone races have had their penalty scores 'converted' into a bonus to the other stat in the defense pairing.  Their flex stat will be two of the physical ones (probably DEX and CON, as most Hengeyokai animals are small and thus STR seems unlikely).

Their ability scores will not change between forms, because having to recalculate big chunks of your character sheet in mid-combat sucks.

Seems like we already have one with the dead rat deserter theme.

It's got rat form, human form, and hybrid form.

Or mabey we can be carp/rat... 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

It would not shock me if the Hengeyokai end up being a reboot of the shifters from the ground up, and leaving the old Longtooth and Razorclaws to rot.  At the same time, I more honestly expect the Henge will be reduced to one, perhaps 2 subtypes. Fox and Monkey make the most sense themeatically I suppose. I also imagine the pure human form will be off the table to help streamline them from a design perspective.

I'm hoping they won't include ALL of the subtypes, but more than two (4-5 sounds about right). I agree it needs to be a lot better implementation than the shifter, and using the genasi manifestation concept as a base can work.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
About the old Racoon-Dog from old OA-
I have seen an cartoon where a raccon spirit is called "dog spirit" by a human.
It seems Fox spirits grow extra tails and racoon spirits have heads shaped like dog heads.

Salla the CHA stat sounds good.  They ARE trickster spirits after all.
I hpoe to see
Kitsune- Fox
Tanuki- Badger
and
Goku-Monkey

About the old Racoon-Dog from old OA-
I have seen an cartoon where a raccon spirit is called "dog spirit" by a human.
It seems Fox spirits grow extra tails and racoon spirits have heads shaped like dog heads.

Salla the CHA stat sounds good.  They ARE trickster spirits after all.
I hpoe to see
Kitsune- Fox
Tanuki- Badger
and
Goku-Monkey

Tanuki is actually the raccoon dog, a canine native to most of Asia. In folklore they would often disguise themselves as monks or household objects such as a teapot. They were also described as having giant testes that they would drum on. Badgers are known as Mujina, though they were often used interchangeably depending on region. 
honey badger don't care!
Heck no he don't. Only thing honey badger care about is golden eagle. However, my inner hipster occasionally makes me an intolerable know-it-all.
I doubt they will assign names to them past 'Fox Hengeyokai', 'Raccoon Dog Hengeyokai' and so forth.  Logic indicates that anybody who cares about that will raid the Internet to name them, and that the rest of us would just be annoyed by it.

Yeah, they were never called kitsune or tanuki in the past, and mujina was actually a completely different monster (kinda, sorta based off some Japanese myths though it was no badger) in BECMI D&D and AD&D.

Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
Heck no he don't. Only thing honey badger care about is golden eagle. However, my inner hipster occasionally makes me an intolerable cracked.com reader.

Fixed.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Heck no he don't. Only thing honey badger care about is golden eagle. However, my inner hipster occasionally makes me an intolerable cracked.com reader.

Fixed.

Correct

The converted bonus thing never occurred to me... interesting.

Danny