Athan of the Many Colors - Exploiting Psychic/Cold/Poison/Radiant/Fire/Necrotic Vulnerability

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is an exercise in how many vulnerabilities you can cause and exploit at-will. It was interesting to build.

Radiant, Poison and Psychic vulnerability through warlock's curse and Feythorns, Starlight and Ulban rods, Cold through Lasting Frost, Fire through Hell's Burning Mark, Necrotic only if hit by Divine Challenge through Revenant's Challenge. Necrotic and Cold damage from Hand of Blight, Psychic from Mindbite Scorn, Poison from Staff of the Serpent, Fire and Radiant through Radiant One.

Note that he curses with Starlight and Feythorns, quick swap Ulban and Serpent to attack, quick swap Brutality for dice. Reroll all damage dice from Ring of the Radiant Storm. No resistance or immunity because of Paladin's Truth. No "all damage dealt by this weapon is X" so all damage types should stack without conflict.

Damage resist 15 of all his damage types + lightning and thunder is just thematic.

Athan of the Many Colors
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Athan, level 30
Revenant, Warlock/Paladin, Academy Master, Radiant One
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Hybrid Paladin Option: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Choose your Race in Life: Tiefling

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 28, DEX 15, INT 22, WIS 12, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 18, DEX 11, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 8

AC: 45 Fort: 40 Ref: 39 Will: 32
HP: 186 Surges: 17 Surge Value: 46

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +30, Endurance +29, Intimidate +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Athletics +14, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, History +21, Insight +16, Nature +16, Perception +16, Religion +21, Stealth +15, Streetwise +15, Thievery +15

POWERS
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Warlock Attack 1: Hand of Blight

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Revenant's Challenge
Level 8: Prolonged Curse
Level 10: Crimson Fire
Level 11: Mindbite Scorn
Level 12: Arcane Initiate
Level 12: Implement Focus (Staff)
Level 14: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 16: White Lotus Riposte
Level 18: Wintertouched
Level 20: Lasting Frost
Level 21: Arcane Admixture
Level 22: Arcane Familiar
Level 24: Consuming the Weak
Level 26: Hell's Burning Mark
Level 28: Ghostly Vitality
Level 30: Paladin's Truth

ITEMS
Stormwalker's Cloak +6 x1
Ring of Winter (level 19) x1
Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier) x1
Bone Ring of Preservation (paragon tier) x1
Pelaurum Plate Armor +6 x1
Bronze Serpent (epic tier) x1
Mental Block (epic tier)
Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier) x1
Hands of Hadar (epic tier) x1
Staff of the Serpent +6 x1
Rod of Ulban +6 x1
Rod of Brutality +6
Rod of Starlight +6
Rod of Feythorns +6
Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3)
Mummified Hand (epic tier)
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier) x1
====== End ======

DAMAGE:
psychic cold poison radiant fire necrotic

VULNERABLE:
10psychic 5cold 15poison 6radiant 5fire, 5necrotic (if DC)

RESIST:
15psychic 15cold 15poison 15radiant 15fire 15necrotic 15lightning 15thunder 30all (below 0)

TURN 1:

Warlock's Curse
Gain vulnerable 15 poison
Gain vulnerable 6 radiant
Gain vulnerable 10 psychic

Divine Challenge
Gain vulnerable 5 fire

Hand of Blight
Necrotic, Psychic
Cold from Arcane Admixture
Poison from Staff of the Serpent
Radiant, Fire from Radiant One
Gain vulnerable 5 cold

TURN 2:
All vulnerabilities are in effect, creature has ongoing fire damage, is granting Combat Advantage, and may have either triggered Divine Challenge for necrotic vulnerability or White Lotus Riposte for extra damage of all 5 types (setting off vulnerabilities again).

DAMAGE:
[assuming hit already for cold vuln 5 and CA]
Hand of Blight

1d8+9Con necrotic and psychic and cold

6+6 dual implement

10 psychic vuln

5 cold vuln

3 focus

1d6 poison damage

15 poison vuln

6Int fire and radiant damage

9 pelor sun disk

6 iron armbands

6 radiant vuln

5 fire vuln

Gain ongoing 5 fire

6d10 psychic curse damage, ongoing fire now 11

Roll twice for all damage rolls

1d8+1d6+6d10 = 41 avg damage (how do I calculate rolling twice?)

9+6+6+10+5+3+15+6+9+6+6+5 = 86 static damage at-will

CHEESE RATING: 3 out of 10
Worship two gods, swap implements very quickly, some items from mutually exclusive sources
Other than that, it's solid. No retroactive damage types, vulnerability is all square, triggers and requirements are all being met.

I also made a half-elf druid|wizard/paladin who does almost the same thing but with necrotic vulnerability instead of fire. Decided I'd rather have the automatic ongoing 11 fire damage than Con mod extra damage.

So, what do you think? Can you get more than this?
I skimmed and didn't notice anything that was CON dependent in the multi-vulnerability angle, and your PP doesn't seem to play into that aspect of the optimization, so I will suggest the Planeshifter PP.  Dimensional Cascade is the first thing that comes to mind when I think about multiple vulnerability, allowing 4 of your vulnerabilities to double-hit and possibly much more, in addition to the possible utility of banishing a target until the start of its turn.
The Paragon Path (I'm guessing) is because he's invested a lot into an At-Will attack, so taking a paragon path that focues on At-Will attacks is optimal (or at least convinient)

VB
VorpalBunny got it in one. Even with CA and the academy master PP he's still only got a 33 to hit, unless I'm missing something, so every bit of at-will boost helps. Planeshifter sounds nice though, I wasn't sure which PP would fit.
Seems like quickened spellcasting should be there.

Also, great pic.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Heh, I don't like spending feats on nova rounds, I prefer maxing out at-wills :D

And I'm glad you liked the pic, it immediately came to mind when I finished building him. A terrible, poisonous, necrotic, frozen brilliant flame of a care bear stare. He got it from eating care bears.
Athan and his amazing technicolor laser beams.
You forgot to list the Feythorns in your Item list.

I'd also like to add that considering you're using a melee attack, and actively marking, your defenses make me laugh.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Adding White Lotus Riposte might be a wise move then.  Since it's the same type, it'll actually put out some solid pain for being attacked.

Also, revenant can manage without defenses.  He'll be subject to lot's of status effects, but he won't die.

Edit: and average dice damage is 45.30

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

This character is for thematic and CharOp purposes only. Any attempts to use this character in combat are, frankly, your own fault. Player assumes all liability for damages and costs that may be incurred for playing with Athan of the Many Colors. Do not taunt Athan of the Many Colors. Do not expose Athan of the Many Colors to direct sunlight, strong sources of calcium or actual rainbows. Athan of the Many Colors may cause a rash in some subjects, which may be life threatening. If you experience any of these symptoms, including headache, blindness, and bursting into spontaneous song and choreographed dance, please stop using Athan of the Many Colors immediately and contact your physician.

And yes, as mellored said, he's relying on his resist 15/30 damage and revenant-ness to not drop dead immediately, but he's more an exercise in multiple vulnerability causing/exploiting than an actual playable character. If you really want to use vulnerability effectively, pick one or two and spam multi-attacks, that's what mellored told me when I first proposed this build :P

Also, 130ish damage at-will isn't terrible. And thanks for the calculator link, that'll definitely come in handy.

EDIT: Actually, hold on. I think I might actually make the Warlock|Paladin/Druid work. I'd lose Consume the Weak, but the rest would still work. Half-elf and Wild Dilettante would let me use Hand of Blight with Blightbeast. That would give him psychic/cold/necrotic/fire/radiant/poison vulnerability and exploitation in a single turn. I'll have to build that next - that puts the vuln/exploit limit to a solid 6.