Artifact Deck

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is one of my favorite decks. I usually use Metalworker and Memory Jar to play my whole hand while making my opponent discard 7 cards. Masticore is also fueled by Metalworker. Anyone have any suggestions/tweaks?

Artifacts (19)
3x Black Vise
3x Ivory Tower
1x Jester's Cap
2x Memory Jar
1x Sol Ring
4x Thran Dynamo
4x Voltaic Key
1x Zuran Orb

Lands (24)

Memory Jar is restricted in Vintage.

<----- Loser.

I take it this is a casual deck? Cause, no offense bro, but this deck would get schooled in competative play.

suggestions

I don't see any use's for the walkers, I'd ditch them. get something else to pound your opponents faces with, or run more Keys to untap stuff like Dynamo.

Get Mana Vault (white boarder ones are cheap) just 1 though it's restricted. This will help with speed a bit.

Run Expedition Maps to help with your lands since the Urzatron needs each piece to work. Plus it fetchs another Cloudpost.

Ditch the Towers, they are pointless if your relying on Masticores (I love the Masticores too, but they eat cards)

I could suggest ways to ramp this up a little, but I'd need to know a ruff budget you have to work with, the cards I've suggested so far a cheap, the vault might run you 2-4 bucks (but it's only a 1 of in any vintage deck anyway) Maps are like 50 cents or something.

cheers

<----- Loser.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I've been thinking of something to replace the towers with.  Also, suggest anything that you think will work for the deck, disregard budget here.  How does Grim Monolith compare with Mana Vault?  Also, the people I'm playing with are fine with the number of Memory Jars.  Thanks for your suggestions.
Grim Monolith is a pile of awesome, run it. when you put lots of cards like them in the same deck, you'll see your threats hitting the table alot faster.

Rings of Brighthearth + Basalt Monolith = infinate mana

Rings of Brighthearth + Voltaic Key = double untapping stuff like Dynamo. (lots of mana)

with your infinate mana you can use Magma Mine and Rocket Launcher on people, Masticore will also switch from semi to fully automatic while he hoses creatures down.

if you want to run rings I'd suggest running 4 keys.

Note: The Rings doesn't effect mana abilities, but your copying the untap ability on the Monolith, so you just tap it again while the effect is on the stack and add 3 more, repeat till your wrist gets sore and spent the mana on something huge and stupid, like Snake Basket

cheers

<----- Loser.

Another fun thing with infinate mana would be Diviner's Wand (i always run it in elf decks) once your draw a card you could draw your whole deck. (like a one sided memory jar on crack) plus you'll have a like 40/40 flyer you swing with.

if budget isn't an issue dump $300(each) on Mishra's Workshops, Ancient Tomb in your opening hand will get the ball rolling. Mishra's Factorys fit in with the artifact theme, and are very useful on the whole.

<----- Loser.

I've been looking through some old Artifact cards and have found some combos.  Do you know if these cards are restricted/banned?

Candelabra of Tawnos + any land that gives more then one mana = Infinate mana

Time Vault + Voltaic Key = Infinate Turns

Phyrexian Dreadnought + Torpor Orb = fast 12/12 trample

Darksteel Forge + Nevinyrral's Disk = Infinate board wipes (and in this deck, ones that don't affect me)

Thanks for your suggestions.  If you know of any more combos/really good cards, it would be greatly appreciated.
I've been looking through some old Artifact cards and have found some combos.  Do you know if these cards are restricted/banned?

Candelabra of Tawnos + any land that gives more then one mana = Infinate mana

Time Vault + Voltaic Key = Infinate Turns

Phyrexian Dreadnought + Torpor Orb = fast 12/12 trample

Darksteel Forge + Nevinyrral's Disk = Infinate board wipes (and in this deck, ones that don't affect me)

Thanks for your suggestions.  If you know of any more combos/really good cards, it would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to suggest Time Vault, but forgot (it's restricted to 1 per deck)

Candelabra is beats, use it to School people.

if you end up running blue, use Tinker (restricted), 3 mana for a Darksteel Forge is pretty good.

<----- Loser.

Candelabra of Tawnos + any land that gives more then one mana = Infinate mana"

FALSE. Candelabra taps to activate... check the gatherer index.

You guys are just listing combos.

The "BEST" Metalworker combo is using Staff of Domination

If enough artifact in hand, you generate infinite mana (because you can untap Metal Worker), then you draw a bunch of cards, and just steamroll your opponent. The best part is, Staff is alright by itself.

I've seen a deck based around: Rings of Brighthearth + Basalt Monolith = infinate mana

It is pretty good.
Oh, thanks, for the heads up on Candelabra of Tawnos.

How effective do you guys think a Phyrexian Dreadnought + Torpor Orb combo would work in this deck?  I was thinking of adding it.

Also, how effective is Scroll Rack
Scroll Rack is really good when using Land Tax

Dreadnought + Orb isn't anything new... Dreadnought + Stifle or Trickbind. It's okay.

You are looking to go MUD Aggro (Budget)... so let's take a look at what we can do. Urza-tron/Cloud Post is really clunky... Cloud Post is really good, but you'd want Vesuva as well. I'd look at getting the double mana lands and here is a build I would kinda go do...

Land: 17
4 Ancient Tomb (9$/ea)
4 City of Traitors (25$/ea)
4 Wasteland
1 Stripmine
4 Crystal Vein

Other Mana Sources: 7-10
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
2-4 Grim Monolith
2-3 Mox Diamond

Creatures: 12
4 Metalworker
4 Lodestone Golem -- Dropped early, will buy you lots of time (not sure what your metagame is)
4 Wurmcoil Engine --  This guy is really good

Other Pieces: 6
2 Staff of Domination
2 Voltaic Key (to untap the Grim Monoliths/Mana Vault/Metalworker)
2 Crucible of Worlds -- Goes well with your Wastelands, Stripmine, Mox Diamonds and City of Traitors

This is very rough and it is early still, but this is where I would kind of start. I would also include Trinisphere (1 of, once it's restricted) and maybe some other lock pieces...
Hmm, this is an interesting build.  I don't think I'll restructure my deck this much, but I will take your advice on lands/mana accelerators.  I may even want to start a new deck with this build.  I'll get back to you with other cards that would work and questions about others.  Thanks for your post.
My point really is... you don't need 10 combos in your deck. You just need pieces that work well together.

Metalworker + Staff of Domination (w 3 artifacts in hand) = GAME OVER. It is easy to achieve as well.

Pretty sure this doesn't work; "if it isn't a mana ability"

yep it does. you tap the monolith for 3 then use the rings ability take 2 of that colorless to untap the monolith and rinse and repeat

You guys are describing a deck that rolls over and dies to Null Rod, one of the most-played cards in Vintage.

Don't play a budget artifact deck in Vintage.  Play anything else.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

yep it does. you tap the monolith for 3 then use the rings ability take 2 of that colorless to untap the monolith and rinse and repeat

Ah, if you're using it the way I think you are, then you'll need two lands or two mana to activate the ring's ability also.

Ah, if you're using it the way I think you are, then you'll need two lands or two mana to activate the ring's ability also.

nope all you need is rings and monolith.  you tap the monlith for 3 and use 2 of that mana to ues the rings ability  to untap leaving 1 floating. keep doing this and its infinite
You guys are describing a deck that rolls over and dies to Null Rod, one of the most-played cards in Vintage.

I agree (as in my earlier post) this deck would get schooled in competative play. but since his opponents do not seem to mind him running 2 Memory Jars I think it's safe to assume it's a casual build.

cheers

<----- Loser.

Null Rod isn't heavy in the current meta... most decks are running too much hate (ancient grudge), for the Null Rod decks to survive.

At least I haven't seen many Null Rods since well before this past Gencon.

If Null Rod's a problem, try using Mycosynth Golems.  If you already have some Blightsteel Colossuses, then your deck's already made.  Throw in moxes, Tolarian Academy (restricted), and maybe some Frantic Searchish things.  However, if you do that, It'll be closer to a draw-7 startegy.

Also, an idea just hit me:  You could make a different deck that runs the dreadnaught combo AND Mycosynth/Blightsteel together.  Dreadnaught for an initial threat, and Mycosynth/Blightsteel for a bigger threat soon afterwards.  I don't know if it'd be good, but it'd be immune to Null Rod/Stony Silence.

P.S. B/R list for Vintage: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...