The Chronicles of Findaelin: Lore Part 1

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, everyone. I'm here to dicuss lore for my DDI VTT Campaign, Ashes to Ashes part 1.

The first thing I'm going to talk about is the cosmology of the world of Findaelin.

"There is one universe; similar to ours in all aspects of physics, save one: Magic and Life and planes. There are multiple planes; One being "Heavan", the place of beings that wish to create harmony and peace dwell (Lawful Good and Good Beings), and where souls that dedicated themselves to such ideals go (The equivalent of Celestia); Hell, a place of beings who wish to create order through fear, despair and greed, (Lawful Evil and Evil Beings), and a place of punishment who failed or reward for souls who dedicated themselves to such ideals (The equivalent of the Nine Hells).

The equivalent to the shadow fell is a place called "Purgatory". This is the place where the dead are to pay debts in life, for example, if a warlock or magically affluent person did not abide by the contract he made, he would pay for it here, or if a person did not follow through on vocations, oathes and promises made in life. It is here that souls fates are also decided, being either sent to hell or to heavan depending upon their life's deeds and when all debts are paid.

The equivalent to the Feywild is the road of dreams, where all beings go to where they sleep. It is the natural world uncorrupted by mortals; and all spirits and fey of the natural world are based there. It does not mean that this place is good; it is a wild, untamed place and just like a mortal's dream, can be nightmarish and abberant at times. Science in our world has shown that if living beings are deprived of deeper sleep such as those in REM cycles, they eventually go crazy and even die if they go without sleep long enough. Scientists of the realm believe that this "Road of Dreams" is an important place in such matters. Elves and Eladrin do not sleep; they merely trance, and can even fade in and out of the realm of dreams at will, due to their special connection with it; and they even dwell there in nature's purity. Note: There is a difference between "True Fey" and "Lesser Fey" meaning that true fey dwell in the feywild entirely, and Lesser fey are capable of dwelling in both the physical realm and the road of dreams; Eladrin, elves and drow could be considered "Lesser Fey"; but Fey nontheless.

The equvialent of the far realm is "The Void". It was here that the forces of order subjugated more "Lovecraftian Entities" or Abberant beings and imprisoned them here. They are evil in the greatest sense of the word, beings of complete destruction and chaos, unfathomable in their depravity and means of corruption. The more powerful entities merely sit upon the edge of dreams, waiting for the time their servants will awaken them from their slumber.

There is no equivalent of the abyss, or the dwelling of demons. Demons were merely elementals of matter that were corrupted and twisted by the far realm's abberance and madness at the forming of the universe. Anywhere there is matter attempting to order itself, demons are there attempting to throw it into complete chaos, and restore entropy.

It is important to note that there are no "Gods" per say, only powerful entities that have come something more than a mere mortal form of life, and the forces that control such beings, such as the forces of Heaven and Hell are only two examples. Through their "Exarchs" and "Prophets" they make their will known to those throughout the universe. It should be noted that beings of an extraplanar nature such as Angels, Demons, devils, true fey and even abbereant beings cannot survive in the physical plane for long without disappating into nothingness. They must bind themselves to a magical contract or that of a mortal vessel in order to persist and carry out their duties. The only exception to this are elemental forces, which exist to form and convert matter and energy to use in the creation or destruction of planets, stars and even galaxies. Creation is a work that is never finished. In a sense, this cosmology allows itself to interpretation and building by various cultures, or authors that choose to use it. In my next article, I will talk about power sources and their relation to this cosmology."

If you prefer a "TL;DR" Version, here it is:

Real-world physics apply.
Generic heaven/hell planar setup. Purgatory as mandatory passing-through place where the dead work off debts and are judged.
Feywild and dream world consolidated as "Road of Dreams", where everyone goes when they dream. Fey and natural spirits are based here; lesser fey like elves and eladrin can move between here and there as they like, but true fey live there exclusively.
Long ago, "the forces of order" beat the Far Realm Things and locked them away in "the Void".
There is no Abyss, but demons are otherwise unchanged.
Except for elementals, extraplanar beings can't survive in the material plane for long unless they're bound with magic or possess someone.
Elementals are spirits of creation and destruction, and creation is an ongoing process.

Part II will discuss powersources for various classes.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

The Chronicles of Findaelin: An ongoing world building process! Let me know what you think!
The Chronicles of Findaelin
I'd advise for you to blog this and put a link to the blog in your signature. Otherwise, this will just fall off of General Discussion and you'll only have it read as long as it stays on the first page.
I'd advise for you to blog this and put a link to the blog in your signature. Otherwise, this will just fall off of General Discussion and you'll only have it read as long as it stays on the first page.

That was my thought too.. then if you want include a link to the blog entry in your sig,.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

That was my thought too.. then if you want include a link to the blog entry in your sig,.

And how would I do that exactly? I'd like to create a blog about this. Can someone walk me throught that?  

The Chronicles of Findaelin: An ongoing world building process! Let me know what you think!
Home click / Sidebar -  Blog click / Add blog post click (paste content cause retyping sucks)... set title and flag as D&D Post it... as public ..

You already have a sig... you dont know how to edit it?

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

To put a link into your sig, quote me, and look at >>> Tim taught me how to do this.
Ok, here's the link to my blog.

community.wizards.com/naethanyl/blog/?me...

Links in your sig are done via html...  like this< br />< a href="http://community.wizards.com/garthanos/blog/2010/09/23/swordmages_and_lightning_skins" >The Swordmage< /a >

Except without the extra spaces I added ..above ;p 

There, I think I got it.