More players.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
 Hello I'm kind of in a pickle. I only have time to run one game a week. My problem is more and more people want to join my game. I have 7 players.
 My question is how to I make the monster more of a challage with out dragging out the fights and making the encouters boring? 
Add NPC spellcasters with controller spells to sleep, stun, immobilize the party.  Since they have low HP they can be brought down fairly quickly but are scary at first.
Lots of minions and "combat outs." Extra minions, especially minions about 5 levels higher will still be one-shot kills for the PCs, but will be harder to hit than the standards or elites on the board and do good damage, enough to make them a threat. And you can use lots of them.

"Combat outs" are either narrative or mechanical "triggers" which will end a combat. Examples include taking out the leader to make his allies flee, bloodying any enemy to get them to surrender, or destroying the graven urns to dispel the wraiths. Don't fight it out to the death unless you have some good narrative reason to do so. Sometimes you can give the characters knowledge beforehand if it makes sense to do so about how to end the fight, e.g. like when Bruce Willis knew to kill that one mercenary leader in The Fifth Element so the rest backed down right away. It can often lead to very interesting planning and strategy on their part, especially if it's a multi-step combat out, e.g. kill the cult leader, then destroy the four pillars to begin collapsing the ceiling of the temple complex.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | The Art of Pacing (Series) | Improvisation Guide | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character
Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!
Check Out My D&D Next Playtest Campaign: The Next World

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

1. Split the group into two groups, and use your DM scepter to raise one of you players to DM Of The Other Group. (Seven players is a lot, even under the best of circumstances. I wouldn't ever DM that many.)

2. What iserith said. 
The above, plus pick and choose any ideas you like from the Compilation of Combat Accelerators thread.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Ty very much. Those all are very good ideas