Same race campaigns.

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anyone done a same race campaign yet?  If you have, how did it go? I want to do an all drow underdark campaign and I'm a little afraid that favored classes may outshine the others who don't take classes that drow aren't optimized for.  Now if I could get everyone to chose a Dex Cha/Wis favored class then I would be all set, but it may not work out that way.

If you did a drow same race campaign I would house rule you can pick any two stats with +2.

If you're running a single race campaign, I'd say this: reflavour.  People can play whatever race they like, and you reflavour them all as Drow.  Explain the different racial powers and abilities as curses, or unusual mutations, or magical aptitudes or whatever.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
You can also impose stat caps in an effort to maintain balance.

Simply state that, at character creation, the max stat possible is 18 (after racial mods). This affords a more even playing field as it denies 20's and stat focus (which is the glaring trait of "favored" classes). Otherwise, the Drow's racial abilities are pretty useful; regardless of class.

Danny

I havent run a same race campaign but I have run a themed game.  I have run an all small race game and it was pretty good.

In the same vein you could run a themed game.  Players of other races could be slaves of the drow characters, though the kind of loyal ones that you wouldnt have to keep looking after. 

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

If you're running a single race campaign, I'd say this: reflavour.  People can play whatever race they like, and you reflavour them all as Drow.  Explain the different racial powers and abilities as curses, or unusual mutations, or magical aptitudes or whatever.

best solution.
stay simple.
chill.Cool
I'm with Domn, keep it simple man.  No reason to change anything.  Here's the deal, if you want to do an all Drow campaign then you have to accept that some players may have a slight advantage over others when it comes to stats depending on what classes they choose.  The thing is if you do a completely Drow campaign and then just let people pick other races and say they're Drow just so they can get the races various stat bonuses then well...they're not Drow and you have no reason to do an all Drow campaign because they aren't playing Drow, they're playing whatever other races.

And with changing their stat bonus to a "pick any two stats, gain a +2" it's the same basic thing.  Just leave the Drow alone.  Let players be whatever class they want, honestly it isn't a big deal if they have a slight stat advantage.  That doesn't mean a player who picks a class that doesn't benefit from both, or even one of the Drow's stat bonuses will just be a complete failure.

The thing is if you do a complete Drow campaign the only FUN of such a campaign would be to be various classes, even ones that can be maxed by stats.  Don't take that away from the group.  Otherwise in my personal opinion at least if one of our DMs said they were doing an all race campaign and we had to pick a particular race like say Drow, I'd be annoyed, or least have no desire to play if the DM told me I had to pick a particular set of classes, or that the DM said my stats could just be anything.  But that's just me maybe. 
The thing is if you do a completely Drow campaign and then just let people pick other races and say they're Drow just so they can get the races various stat bonuses then well...they're not Drow and you have no reason to do an all Drow campaign because they aren't playing Drow, they're playing whatever other races.

.... And why wouldn't they be drow? The only reason I can come up with is because the variations of drow would be mechanically different. It can't be about overcomplication because saying "anything you play looks like a drow" is literally the easiest solution possible and much more convienient than saying "Oh... you want to be a drow wizard? Well prepare to suck more than everyone else. lolololol"

I mean I suppose in your minds eye you would know that they aren't Drow... but the way I see it in MY minds eye I know that I'm not a 8 foot-tall stone creature with an axe the size of a normal human... so I guess whats the point of playing the race then am I right? =/

My answer is to reflavor or simply do the houserule +2 to any stats you choose.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
I agree with alitain.
Just making it so that people can choose any race and just calling it drow ruins some of the novelty of a same race campaign.
It also could lead to some pretty immersion-killing characters. "I'm a Drow Warden with 20 constiution who breathes fire!"

The easiest way is to just say that starting stats can't be higher than 18.
If the "restriction" of placing a cap on starting stats is rubbing people the wrong way, you could always present the "option" of choosing from all of the standard arrays that afford 16's before racial mods. ;)

Danny

I agree with the idea that reflavouring the Drow to be not Drow seems to defeat the point.  If the diversity is that important or the need to play whatever class you want and have its best stats is really the most important element then skip the idea of doing an All Drow game in the first place or use the 'slaves' idea presented above. 

One of the benifits of actually doing an all Drow game is likely going to be a certian tendency toward some classes and the fact that Drow parties do trend toward having the same sorts of strengths and the same sorts of weakness.  If one is reflavouring Dwarves into Drow you loose some of the most important elements of doing such a theme in the first place and should just abandon that idea as not being what this group wants to play.  
I've run a human-only campaign, a dwarf-only mini-campaign, and a no-humans campaign, and all three went wonderfully. I did not re-flavor, re-skin, or re-anything the rules or mechanics. The campaigns, respectively, simply had only human PCs, only dwarf PCs, and no human PCs.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
i did run through a few sessions of a campaign that allows a small list of races and reflavaored all of those races as human. I don't have the campaign notes anymore, but i think the list was something like:
halfling
goblin
kobold
human
elf
h-elf
h-orc
orc
hobgoblin
dwarf
mul
goliath

All had racial traits or powers that seemed as though it was conceivable that in a human only world might represent variety of human upbringing and/or cultures.

I think if I were interested in a similar campaign in the future, I'd keep the same list. It provides for everyone to have a unique character despite saying they are of the same race.

The class list was somwhat restricted also. Without those notes I'm not certain what my restrictions were exactly, but I think it was:

any martial or hybrid martial
any hybrid primal or multiclass primal
no arcane nor hybrid arcane; multiclass arcane allowed
any hybrid divine or multiclass divine
(shadow was unreleased at that time)
no psionic; monk allowed or hybrid monk or mulitclass monk

It didn't do as well as I had hoped in regards to creating the impression of a low-magic world. Still, I think that is roughly the list I would use if I were trying for a low-magic setting in the future. Dark Sun being recently released was helpful due to the rules for weapon breakage and survival day rations.
I prefer a system of stats that gives a +2 to any stat and a different +2 to a racial (humans are done as normal). I feel this works better by giving people a wider variety of things to try without having too much hassle. So an all 1 race campaign; I'd definitely put it under this homerule.
Haven't, wouldn't, probably couldn't.  Everybody in my group has different races they like playing, so someone would wind up either sitting out or just not having as much fun as they could.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I have run an all-Dwarf campaign, an all-Drow Underdark mini campaign and a Goblinoid one shot game (Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear)

I love the challenge it brings. Trying to work out a Character around those requirement can lead to unusual PC such as one you'd normally not see. Exemple, a Drow Tempest Fighter.

My next Racial game i am storming ideas for is an all-Halfling based off the Willow movie. A group of Halfling leaves their cloaked village on the hillside to adventure into the land of Giants...sorta ;)

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Everybody in my group has different races they like playing, so someone would wind up either sitting out or just not having as much fun as they could.

Here is where we see different styles coming to different needs.

I don't have a "my group" any longer. I have a "my game" and a "my current group" but both of those are temporally circumstantial. So I can pmake a very restricted game because I am not catering to an established group. It gives me luxury and freedom of game world and campaign development, but gives me the burden/responsibility of seeking players. (Note, this has never been difficult for me, but that is not a universally-applied luxury.)

Those who have a specific gaming group must take into consideration the desires of their group. Doing so is wise.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Has anyone done a same race campaign yet?  If you have, how did it go? I want to do an all drow underdark campaign and I'm a little afraid that favored classes may outshine the others who don't take classes that drow aren't optimized for.  Now if I could get everyone to chose a Dex Cha/Wis favored class then I would be all set, but it may not work out that way.

I am involved in a all-drow game [technically any race, but you have to hang out with drow and we are now in the Underdark, so  non-drow have been rare].  While I had fears like yours when it started, they have not been a serious problem. 
    Keep in mind that the difference between best and worst race for a class is little more than +2.  That's enough for the min-maxer to kill for, but it's only about 1 hit a mod, and the +2 to dex means you are missed 1 time extra as well.  So the disadvantage is not a big thing.  As a min-max who is too lazy to do a real good job at it, I do fine at the table, but I have always felt our ranger outclassed me, even in the days when drow did not get a choice of stat bonuses.  And I frequently envy our wizard's skill at avoiding damage [especially since I am a glass cannon sorcerer-bard].
  Some of our other players suffer much more from not knowing the rules that well rather than from having poor stats.  [It took several sessions before our pacificist cleric fully realized that damage spells were a bad idea for her.]
     It will help to have a roleplay centered group of course.  But unless the whole table is min-maxing [and such a group would not be interested in a race-themed game in the first place], things should work out.  Recall we have 20?/40?/a lot of classes now and so finding a class that will fit a given role may be work, but is far from impossible.  Allowing the players to play other "friendly" races [Nobody is friendly to drow, including other drow, especially other drow.] will reduce any remaining problems to minor status compared to such routine problems as finding replacement players, etc.
Don't have much to add to this thread, other than saying that an all-drow campaign sounds pretty cool. I wouldn't alter a thing - some of the cooler ideas come from working within limited boundaries.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.

It also could lead to some pretty immersion-killing characters. "I'm a Drow Warden with 20 constiution who breathes fire!"

Its a pact your family made and the life force (CON) is the fuel you are blasting firey runes from your hand like you know actually spend imagination on it.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

It's a dissapointing thing when race is just treated as a means to get some more points on a dice roll. Drow are drow and their racial bonuses should reflect upon what they are good at and what they are average at (these days race is a lot more forgiving than it once was).

The roleplay aspects are very important for a single race game and the race itself, its politics and beliefs, should be a prime concern for the GM and players. If this isnt the case, then the whole idea falls down. Truly committed players should recognise racial limitations and will find means to work around them. In Drow society, not the least issue of which to deal with, is gender, for example, which has more importance than any of your stats.

Jobs Drow are not good at will get some sort of roleplay compensation. Thus, if most Drow heroes are magic users, then the few who turn to martial pursuits will be rare and possibly in high demand, whereas magic use will be seen as commonplace. A Drow who chooses to become some obscure class and who make a good go of it will at least get some notoriety and may be underestimated by foes.

As has been said by posters above, racial bonuses are just that, bonuses and they are not essential to enjoying the game. Not all Drow take one specific class, its not a written rule and they dont need to take dragonborn stats to be good in martial combat. I mean hey, if everyone was playing fairies that were 2 foot tall and the fighters had 20 strength, i think it would just be daft. They can live next to the super intelligent ogres and the highly nimble orc ballet dancers.

Good Drow campaigns are also probably the least combat focused. There will be a lot of use for those secondary stats.

Its a pact your family made and the life force is the fuel you are blasting firey runes from your hand... your know spend imagination on it.. for just a moment.

Of course you can justify anything using imagination but in my experience its not good to screw around with the inner logic of the system unnecessarilly. The rules become meaningless and the rules are the foundation on which the game is built.

Not to mention that the whole subject of reskinning races is based entirely on min/maxing and not on roleplaying.

Not to mention that the whole subject of reskinning races is based entirely on min/maxing and not on roleplaying.

Entirely un true (for me) My homebrew game world has a group of Dragon Masters who are flavor wise very much like Dragonborn but some of them mechanics wise are indeed great as Dragonborn and some are better as Deva, Longtooth shifters (or humans or even really reflavored Warforged) its based on the relationship of the Dragonmaster with their two power sources the Nemahg (which is much like Io) and the other is called the Unicorn force.  Its about better showing the individual character in there mechanics.

Read the Vampire, Bloodwright in my sig... for the same kind of thing.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I meant within the context of this thread.

The DM is worried that forcing every one of his players to play drow will mean that some of his players will be un-optimized in certain roles. It has nothing to do with roleplaying.
Reincarnating Heros are ranging from King Arthur to Elric of Melnibone can be built nicely as Deva for instance. 

I meant within the context of this thread.

The DM is worried that forcing every one of his players to play drow will mean that some of his players will be un-optimized in certain roles. It has nothing to do with roleplaying.

Is it really a lot difference? the impact is character concepts or atleast how well you can invoke them with the mechanics are more limited not just how well something optimizes.

Quick count gave me 16 classes that have at least one build with DEX, WIS or CHA as primary.  Only issue might be a shortage of options for defenders, but a somewhat clever party should be able to work around that.  The added challenge of building a viable party from a limited range of options would be part of the appeal for me, but each to their own
I see no problems with any solution presented above in this thread.

Personally, I would just make them use Drow and the rules in the book. 

There is nothing that will truly compromise a build even if the 2 points don't go in the Class spots. 

There is nothing that will truly compromise a build even if the 2 points don't go in the Class spots. 

True, but if the player decides he wants to be a Drow Shielding/Assault Swordmage, STR/Con Warden, etc. those lack of points are going to hurt since none of the desired stat points would be supported. If people are cool with playing Wis/Cha/Dex classes, cool (and there is no doubt in my mind that one could make a full party with those 3 stats) and everything goes swimmingly. If the players choose to do otherwise I really don't know how a floating +2 or reflavorings could hurt. 
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
As much as I like reflavoring for getting a concept you just can't otherwise get with the official options, I'd have to go with actually using Drow stats here, assuming an all-Drow party is what the group wants to do.

For one thing, you're not reflavoring to get a concept you can't get otherwise. You're reflavoring to get better synergy with the class you really want or to play the race you really want, disregarding that it's an all-Drow campaign.

Second, being bound to the racial stats as presented would gently (or not) encourage the players to pick classes that the race is good at, which would help the campaign fit in with the cultural expectations. It could also make characters with suboptimal classes seem even more unique, as they're fighting against their natural "weaknesses" to follow an unusual calling.

True, but if the player decides he wants to be a Drow Shielding/Assault Swordmage, STR/Con Warden, etc. those lack of points are going to hurt since none of the desired stat points would be supported. If people are cool with playing Wis/Cha/Dex classes, cool (and there is no doubt in my mind that one could make a full party with those 3 stats) and everything goes swimmingly. If the players choose to do otherwise I really don't know how a floating +2 or reflavorings could hurt. 

Ive built characters that "hurt" in categories... A gnome Warden springs to mind.  You have to go the specialist stat array rather then a more generous array but it still works. 

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Why the characters should be adapted?

I have an old dragon magazine who spoke of same classes campaigns, and similar ideas applies..

The dm should built the adventures around the unity of them, and think, plans specific plots... drow, by example? Maybe Underdark intrigue, à la Drizzt books. or adventure in the Underdark willderness, like the Lower Underdark...

Or if goodies, guys or very heterodox ones, maybe going AGAINST the lolthites... an assault on a fort ro something... Underdark version of the Keep on borderland, maybe? 

If you did a drow same race campaign I would house rule you can pick any two stats with +2.

Just what I was about to suggest.

I ran a human-only game once, set in White Wolf's Exalted universe. Reflavoring worked well because the PCs were all solar exalts, which means they had a reason to have all kinds of random "racial" powers. But I wouldn't whimsically reflavor any old race into a drow. Not that it wouldn't work, but it'd stretch credulity. I mean, a drow without dark vision...c'mon, that's one of their big shticks!

In the end it's easier to just say "Put your +2s wherever."

True, but if the player decides he wants to be a Drow Shielding/Assault Swordmage, STR/Con Warden, etc. those lack of points are going to hurt since none of the desired stat points would be supported.

IF... 
    We have only to look at our own galaxy of characters to know players who really want to play a particular class, much less a particular type of a particular class, are downright rare.  We spend the majority of our playtime playing our 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choices.  A player who is going to insist on playing one of the cases least designed for drow is unlikely to exist, and not likely to be interested in a drow campaign if he does.  And if he is going to insist he get a special break, you don't want him as a player anyway.
Thanks for the tips guys!  I think I will just go with the rules written as is and not change anything.  Reflavouring the other races and calling them drow actually defeats the entire purpose of this campaign because I want everyone to actually be drow and have all racial abilities associated with that race. 
Plus they do not have to choose all drow.  Their are other races that associate with the drow that could be chosen.  Slaves.  Other underdark races.  Or someone could play a revenant drow.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche Devil\'s Brigade
It occured to me of the Drow racial abilities.. the racial powers are already quite variable a given drow hero will have one of cloud of darkness or darkfire (if something else dark themed were used? that ought to feel right)... the other ability that is consistant and might have an impact on the kinds of adventure you can do? well it would be hard to explore the implications of Darksight if the party doesnt all have darksight.... one might get away with a single member without it... A drow born deficient ie without darksight just lowlight vision might be quite interesting for the story... he might have other issues perhaps he was beat up on a lot as a kid and had lots of near death experiences because of that and got really tough ... perhaps he was injured badly enough to be lamed and so has a move of 5... but he got really good at hunkering down and hitting back... perhaps the group you are with has really boosted your loyalty a lot these are the ones who didnt reject you and you are now the groups defender.

I think its important that he has some darkness related powers he is a drow but I might give him those by theme instead of race.  The Student of Evard theme gives a nice shadow and necrotic power... that bleads life out an enemy but hurts...  and at level 6 he can for a moment or two force those eyes he hates and which earned him nothing but pain... to act the way they ought to.

Xun, please give us an update on things as they progress. Let us know:

• How your players responded to the restriction

• What classes your players chose; and

• How the first adventure goes

I'm interested!
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
It occured to me of the Drow racial abilities.. the racial powers are already quite variable a given drow hero will have one of cloud of darkness or darkfire(if something else dark themed were used? that ought to feel right)... the other ability that is consistant and might have an impact on the kinds of adventure you can do? well it would be hard to explore the implications of Darksight if the party doesnt all have darksight.... one might get away with a single member without it... A drow born deficient ie without darksight just lowlight vision might be quite interesting for the story... he might have other issues perhaps he was beat up on a lot as a kid and had lots of near death experiences because of that and got really tough ... perhaps he was injured badly enough to be lamed and so has a move of 5... but he got really good at hunkering down and hitting back... perhaps the group you are with has really boosted your loyalty a lot these are the ones who didnt reject you and you are now the groups defender.

I think its certainly important that he has some darkness related powers he is a drow but I might give him those by theme instead of race.  The Student of Evard theme gives a nice shadow and necrotic power... that bleeds life out an enemy but hurts...  and at level 6 he can for a moment or two force those eyes he hates and which earned him nothing but pain... to act the way they ought to.

Hmmm I hadnt thought of playing a Drow other than my appolgetic whip cracking slave mistress ... but I might like to play this guy. He emphasizes the violence of Drow culture and even outline the significance of Darksight ... I assume people can figure out what race he might be mechanically.

Thanks Xun.

Still given most power are based off the D20 losing one point is only a 5% decrease in efficiency and if another point is removed off of a bonus to damage, that loss can be the difference between a bonus of 5 versuses a 4, which is significant if you roll low on the die but becomes insiginificant as time goes on. A Drow isn't optimized if he decides to be a STR CON Knight but he isn't broken either. He'll end up with bonuses to his will and reflex as defences. A character can only be broken if the stats are ignored completely.
Xun, please give us an update on things as they progress. Let us know:

• How your players responded to the restriction

• What classes your players chose; and

• How the first adventure goes

I'm interested!

Ditto!