Creeping Corrosion...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Affinity is good,

Creeping Corrosion seems like a blowout,

combined with lower cmc spot removal like nature's claim or naturalize...  am I wrong that it seems nutty?
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts

Seems fine, but there are decks than just affinity. 12 post, zoo and UR combo decks are very much real
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Planning on running either MeliraLark or Shamans in Modern, definitely think a 3-4 of Nature's claim, and a 2-3 of corrosion are reasonable in either sideboard. 
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
For decks that can afford the sideboard slots to it, sure. Otherwise, I would spend more of my time trying to beat zoo.

Affinity has the same dilemma as RDW - decent if the meta is unprepared, awful if the meta sees you coming.

Photobucket
Creeping Corrosion has some potential if Affinity gets out of control, but a lot of Affinity builds can actually ignore it fairly well. Decks using something like Fling could potentially just sack all the artifacts they would lose to an Atog or Arcbound Ravager then Fling it at you.

The reason I think Affinity might actually have a shot, even with sideboarded hate, is the fact that some of the most powerful Affinity nerfing cards are either illegal or simply not as useful as they used to be. Oddly enough, this is actually because the lack of artifact lands, one of Affinity's greatest strengths and weaknesses.
What? Ancient grudge basically renders affinity into a joke, since 50% of the artifacts they drop aren't relevant beyond synergizing with the power players (plating, ravager).

Photobucket
What? Ancient grudge basically renders affinity into a joke, since 50% of the artifacts they drop aren't relevant beyond synergizing with the power players (plating, ravager).

So decks with access to red get things like Ancient Grudge and Shattering Spree and decks with access to green get things like Oxidize, okay. Even so, a good Affinity deck should be able to race against simple spot removal effects relatively well.

A card like Kataki, War's Wage used to completely cripple Affinity because it made you have to sac all your lands. It's a similar case with Hurkyl's Recall. Now, with artifact lands pretty much dead, an Affinity player can simply sac any artifacts they don't want to pay for to something like Atog or Arcbound Ravager and then use their nonartifact lands to pay the upkeep cost, or Fling or Shrapnel Blast them.

Spot removal gets around this, but if you cast something like Ancient Grudge targeting Arcbound Ravager a good Affinity player will simply respond by sacrificing the ravager to itself and moving the +1/+1 counters onto something safe (an animated Inkmoth Nexus). Even if you can flash it back in the same turn, if they have multiple sac effects or Fling they can simply cut their losses and abandon whatever it is you attempt to target.

Decks that run Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas are also harder to stop with spot removal, since they can repeatedly turn any artifact, the prime targets being Ornithopter and Darksteel Citadel, into threats, getting around your ever dwindling supply of threats. They can also dig for more of their own major weapons, which can be hard to keep up with after a while.

I'm not saying Affinity doesn't die to a deck that sided enough stuff to use against it, I'm just stating that some of the better weapons that used to be used against Affinity aren't as potent as they used to be. You also have to worry about being able to deal with 12-Post, Zoo, and the other top tier decks in the format.