[CRL] Request of feedback on house rule.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello peeps, I am an old AD+D 2nd edition player that recently picked up Castle of Ravenloft to play with my wife, in an effort to escape the Trivial Pursuit nights. The game is really fun and she seems to be getting into it as well, but the mechanics also seem really brutal on small parties (of 2), or unoptimised setups like 2 squishies i.e.

I am following several house rules mentioned in these boards like the one that has you roll a d20 to decide wether you flip an encounter card every time you don't discover a tile, but I also came up with one of my own, to help out with the increased damage on our PCs when we don't play a fighter+cleric combo.

What I came up with, is basically letting someone buy a healing surge token for 5 xp everytime they die, and run out of healing surges (we start with 2 always), on their next turn. This way the dungeon crawling becomes a bit more forgiving.

What do you guys think? Feedback is greatly appreciated!
I like this idea!

Castle Ravenloft is really very hard on small parties.  We usually play a group of three and it's absolutely brutal (yet fun).

We've found that Ashardalon is a bit more forgiving in general, and does so without becoming a cakewalk.  I highly suggest picking up this one as well and mixing the contents

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

What I came up with, is basically letting someone buy a healing surge token for 5 xp everytime they die, and run out of healing surges (we start with 2 always), on their next turn. This way the dungeon crawling becomes a bit more forgiving.

What do you guys think? Feedback is greatly appreciated!

IIRC, the rulebook states that you can get more healing surges to make it easier. so, why pay? just get em! XD
Sign In to post comments