Mottled Tower's Sea of Fire encounter -- kinda unbalanced?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
The group I'm DM'ing for just got to the Sea of Fire encounter in Beyond the Mottled Tower and I'm preparing to start it next session. Is there, perhaps, a typo somewhere in that encounter? Because otherwise I'm fully expecting a TPK in the first round.

I've pre-rolled intiaitive for the monsters, and the hellcaller got a 26, which will probably put him near the top of the encounter. I'm expecting most, if not all, of my party to still be on the earthberg containing the teleportation circle when its turn comes up, and be within range of the Asmodeus' Ruby Curse.

Since the berg is only 4x4 and the curse is Blast 5, the entire island plus one square of lava will be in the blast. On a hit, the target slides to the nearest square not in the blast. So each PC that gets hit will take 3d8+5 damage, slide into the lava, take 10d10 fire damage, then take 15 more fire damage at the start of their turn.

So basically, on a hit, the PC is going to take up to 134 damage in one round. For a level 12 character, that's guaranteed death. And the attack is +16 vs. Will, so it has a pretty decent chance of hitting them all. (That also doesn't count any PC that slides past the flame shard and provokes an opportunity attack.)

I just get the feeling that something somewhere in there is overpowered but I can't figure out which part.
The group I'm DM'ing for just got to the Sea of Fire encounter in Beyond the Mottled Tower and I'm preparing to start it next session. Is there, perhaps, a typo somewhere in that encounter? Because otherwise I'm fully expecting a TPK in the first round.

I've pre-rolled intiaitive for the monsters, and the hellcaller got a 26, which will probably put him near the top of the encounter. I'm expecting most, if not all, of my party to still be on the earthberg containing the teleportation circle when its turn comes up, and be within range of the Asmodeus' Ruby Curse.

Since the berg is only 4x4 and the curse is Blast 5, the entire island plus one square of lava will be in the blast. On a hit, the target slides to the nearest square not in the blast. So each PC that gets hit will take 3d8+5 damage, slide into the lava, take 10d10 fire damage, then take 15 more fire damage at the start of their turn.

So basically, on a hit, the PC is going to take up to 134 damage in one round. For a level 12 character, that's guaranteed death. And the attack is +16 vs. Will, so it has a pretty decent chance of hitting them all. (That also doesn't count any PC that slides past the flame shard and provokes an opportunity attack.)

I just get the feeling that something somewhere in there is overpowered but I can't figure out which part.

This is the point when you, as a DM, would have to say to yourself, like I have many many times in this Adventure path so far, "Okay, I'm not sure what the author has against players, but I'm going to tweak this to be a tad more reasonable."
Ditto what Sentack said.  I reduced the encounter to two Gith and between those two NPCs and the islands floating around the PCs had plenty of challenge to keep them busy and entertained. 
The main culprit here is the lava. I made it fit the level better I think about half the damage. It played out well. It got the players racing to get away from the lava and they used it agianst the fire belcher as well.
I chose not to use the hellcaller's power, but the resulting combat was too easy.  Keep in mind that the PCs are allowed a saving throw to avoid being pushed into the lava, leaving them prone on the edge if they succeed.  At least, that is how I would have played it.  So they would have to first be hit by the attack and then fail a save to actually end up in the lava.

We replayed the opening round as suggested by the writers - the attack missed 2 of the PCs and 2 more made their save, sending only the wizard into the lava.  He actually survived the 10d10 damage, but the ongoing 15 damage would have finished him at the beginning of his turn.  Any other PC in the party would have been ok with a little help from the cleric.

One solution would be to save the power until the hellcaller is threatened more directly by a couple of PCs - rather than targeting the whole party immediately after they arrive in the teleportation circle.  The melee fighters in my group had around 80-100 hit points as I recall, enough to survive even if pushed into the lava.

Also, Forced movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks
Played this encounter last night. Party generally won initiative, ranger went first and put down Root Gate. Most of the party was on top of the **** before the duergar went.

EDIT: Seriously...in this context, it's not a deragatory term, it's a high wall designed to keep magma from flowing onto the island. Sigh....
Sign In to post comments