08/26/2011 LD: "The Magic 2012 Multiverse Dump, Part 2"

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

2 Things...

1.  I am a person made happy by Druidic Satchel.  Fun card for getting mana/tokens in a creature/land deck.  Play some big creatures... a garruk (or both)... some jade mages and an adaptive automaton.  It's a fun colorless way to get something every turn.

2. The poll could have used another choice.  I haven't played modern on magic online yet, but I do plan to.
My name is Phil, and I love Druidic Satchel.

Marginal value is highly appealing to my Spike side (Pith Driller and Sacred Mesa are two of my favorite cards ever), and the randomness keeps Satchel from creating a repetitive game state. It's like the actually-fun version of Elspeth v1's first ability.

And I had a paper Modern deck within a couple hours of your article going up. Just because I had to be at work in six hours didn't stop the urge to deckbuild!

I hadn't bothered to make a Modern deck (not specifically).  I haven't found the format compelling, particularly because there's not been too many off-beat cards in sets that are longing to go into another set.  Ravnica plays nicely with others, and it's fun to drop random Ravnica stuff into an otherwise "Standard at some point" legal deck.  I never found Modern to be interesting enough to be worth devloping for, though.  I remember Extended was supposed to be kinda like that at some point, but I was bummed so much when that format got killed that I quit watching it.

There's really not a whole lot to build since then, though.  Mirrodin/Scars of Mirrodin looks like a fun combination, and ditto Ravnica/Shards of Alara/Shadowmoor.  The other sets are too insular to be really interesting (Kamigawa, Lorwyn, etc.).  Strong themes make for fun blocks but not for fun cross-block goodness.  Random out-of-place rares do that sometimes.  I did look at updating my mono-black spirits with a Banshee recently, though (that nice "lose 3 life" one).

It doesn't help that nobody else I know is playing it.  They're all nuts for that horrible Commander format you guys have been pushing.

MY REPLY TO THE POLL QUESTIONS: AN OPEN LETTER TO TOM LAPILLE & THE WIZARDS.COM WRITING STAFF.

Dear Tom LaPille,
 Regarding your article "The Magic 2012 Multiverse Dump, Part 2":

To be honest the problem with Modern is the disgusting and shocking sudden rise in card prices. I mean, I love my cards accruing value, but to find in less than a week my 2 Goyfs went from $60 to $100 plus and my 4 Grove Of the Burnwillows went up from $4 to $20+ is disgusting... Add in my Cliques going to $35 dollar cards, Vesuvas going from $7 to $20+, and I am shocked at how any of the new and returning players could even consider Modern tournaments as an option.

About me: I have been playing Magic for something like 7 or 8 years. I played roughly from 98-02 and then picked up again shortly after the release of M10. Because I enjoy powerful cards, collecting play sets of cards I plan to use, and having fun with EDH, I acquired some of the Modern cards low because I planned to use them in EDH, Old extended (before it changed to 4 year and as it looks to be soon just modern) PTQs and maybe even Legacy decks eventually. I am techincally an adult (August 26th, I turn 27, half an hour from when I started writing this), and have more of the means to purchase cards on the secondary market if it comes down to it.

However, the rant isn't about me, it's about the health of the game. How healthy is it for the game when the younger players who fall in the "have nots" just get scrubbed right out of the tournament scene because of card availability and cost issues that are normally only associated with Legacy and Vintage? The have-nots could just as easily be college students or young players without supportive parents.

I fail to see how releasing paper Event decks like those MTGO received for Legacy/Classic would not help ensure the overall longevity and health of this eternal format.

Budget busting mana bases don't build formats, they threaten them.

PS. I think cards that have only been printed in the modern card frame (Scavaging Ooze, Edric, Spymaster Of Trest, Chaoswarp, Stranglehold) SHOULD be Legal in Modern. It's a simple way to allow the special purpose cards in the format without opening the flood gates for any reprinted card.

I thank you for the time you have taken to read this. As I mean this to be an open letter, i am also posting it as a reply on Wizards.com Community Forum.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
I'm joining the "I like Druidic Satchel" bandwagon. I'm a fan of all-upside random effects, or modular "choose one" type effects, because they prevent every game from playing the same. I'm not as big a fan of random upside/downside-mixed effects, like Goblin Bangchuckers, though.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I was pretty on the fence about [C]Druidic Satchel[/C] until I played with it and realized all it does is games.
Druidic Satchel is awesome.

Firstly there is the flavor. Especially for any D&D fans who love items like the bag of many things and rod of wonder (don't rem the exact names).

Second, if I have two mana left over that I'm not using, I'm happy to get anything for it.

I have played against the satchel twice in Limited and its fun to play the guessing game (do I attack into a potential saproling, do I try to kill them in one turn that might not work if they get the 2 life) and its cool when you can beat them despite or before they can get too much advantage out of their bag.
I'm continuing the Druidic Satchel love. I enjoy it just because of the rich flavor and the art. It looks like a lot of the satchels that one can buy at Renaissance Festivals on the East Coast and gives me offseason nostalgia for the faire.

I also included a copy in an introductory green deck I put together for my younger cousin that included all sorts of faeries and creatures of the forest. When she pulled it and we finally got through all the different things it can do, she went wild for the flavor of it. That was a really fun game.

So, thanks for being willing to let the card through, against your better judgment, Mr. LaPille. It was a success in my spellbook. 
TML 5/6/2010: Used to be tap target creature. Now bonks them in the face for Bloodthirst.

This makes me wonder what Crown of Empires originally did.
I think Druidic satchel is an interesting card to say the least.  I like it.

If you want to hear Marshall, from the Limited Resources podcast, talking about it you should listen to thier M12 Rare Review episode, towards the end they cover Druidic Satchel. A Limited perspective maybe, but you definately made him happy, and he is a Spike.
I love the emperor comments :P
So... we've had a couple months of Magic 2012 limited play. I have played in about ten drafts and ten sealed events online and I have to say that this core set is the best for limited I've ever seen. This is not a hyperbole; it really is. You can win with bombs, as before, but you have to craft a deck to make sure you can do so. This time, however, it's just as valid to make the aggro deck and just curve your opponent into oblivion. Old standbys have new values. There are more actual choices to be made. Congratulations to you and your colleagues for that. 

Druidic Satchel is a nice card that 'does something else', it gives a random effect that could be managed. For me it's OK, others love it. 
Storytime.

So around the time Modern was announced to be the Pro Tour format our store decided to begin having modern tournaments starting today. Everyone was excited and we all had decks proxied up and were testing and starting to trade for the cards, but guess what. I show up for the event tonight and there's three people. Of at least 20 who said they'd be attending on Facebook when the event was announced. So we end up playing some EDH games and going home early. I ask around on Facebook, and every reason is roughly the same: "can't afford the cards. I only have about half of a deck so far, and don't see myself finishing it any time soon due to the ridiculous jump in price. Sorry."

I had noticed a lull in the excitement for the format in the last week or so, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I was lucky in that I had all but one or two cards for my deck months ago.

So when I got home, I sold just about all my Modern-only cards to online dealers, and don't plan to play this format until the cards come down significantly. And I assume the store here will return to Legacy.

I hope you have a plan to fix this, and soon.
add one to the "love Druidic Satchel" team.

Some of the reasons for why I like it where already mentioned by others but not all so here are my personal reasons (in order):

1 FLAVOR: this is the biggest reason for me to like it but that does make me wonder: was this card already a Druid's (or similar creature type) bag of tricks of some sort when you ran that rare poll??

2 the random all upside thing: This brings diversity to the game in a way I like; you don't know what you will get but no matter what it is going to be positive. the "stats of the top card of your library" thing has been used like this before and I like it.

3 it appeals to my Johnny side: normally this is a random card but if you want you could build around it to manipulate what you will get out of it. (Scry, anyone?? hmm, to bad it wasn't in M11 or maybe not, don't know about such a thing in limited)

I like druidic satchel.
Why?
I don't know.
Even when I got passed it in a draft I didn't take it.
But reading it makes little explosions of happiness throughout my brain. 
Stop using "IMO" in sentences that aren't opinion. If you don't think a deck will ever be tier 1, that's great - but it's not an opinion. It's a prediction of the future. I identify as neither male nor female. You may refer to me with either gender pronoun or the singular they, whichever suits you best. ^_^ Re: Dismember
97543238 wrote:
Everybody knows that having your awesome creatures killed before they can do anything is frustrating, but the Red mage in me doesn't seem to understand why it's so bad when his creatures spontaneously combust into Flame Javelins and make his opponent discard something at the same time.
Currently Working On: Self-Mill (Standard)
I love the Satchel, too; there's just no reason not to, especially in Limited. If you were going to draw a land next turn, you draw something more useful instead. If you're drawing a creature, it brings a friend. And otherwise, hey, you get some life.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Druidic Satchel is awesome for the following reasons:

- I like cards that help to make each game unique. "sometimes I get a Snake, sometimes I get a land! Wheeee! Things!"
- The flavour is strong, and well-delivered via mechanics. I like artifacts that feel "natural" in green decks.
- I have a soft spot for quirky singletons.

P.S. Tom I gotta say your articles are a joy to read. I really get a kick out of knowing the whys and wherefores of set design/development, and you give me insights into standard environments and meta-games and whatnot that I wouldn't otherwise learn since I have little patience for hardcore strategy talk.
I like how much thought goes into the starter decks and I have noticed them becoming increasingly polished over the years which I remember you mentioned having a big hand in. Props to any others who are involved in those products too -Zac Hill's articles on designing duel decks and stuff are great reads too!
More replies for Tom (yes, I love the Satchel and will explain.  Read on!)

Wish you'd done Arc Runner over Lightning Elemental.  Yes, Haste is a red theme and simple vanilla dudes with one keyword are awesome (bring back Mist Leopard! ).  But Arc Runner would have done a better job of supporting Bloodthirst, and also shown off better the whole "sac my own stuff as long as I kill you quicker" theme of red.  But then, I've always had a serious hate on for Lightning Elemental since the get-go.  I have never seen it be truly relevant in a game, without trample and arriving only on turn 4 all it does is trade with your opponent's worst guy.  (Barring instant first strike or trample tricks, of course)  It's a tempo screw and usually only gets through if they're already having problems, in which case I'd rather have a better guy anyway.  I suppose it's fun with Kite Shield...

Tec Rift:  this sort of design process is how we wind up with Standard-unplayable chaff like this.  It reminds me of other Camels of the past, like Skyshroud Troopers.  (A Camel being "A horse designed by comittee.")  Skyshroud Troopers sucked because it tried to be a midpoint between two things - mana accel and beater.  It failed at both.  Green doesn't want a 4-drop accel for 6 mana on turn 5.  It wants one- and two-drop accels to move turn 3 to turn 2 or turn 5 to turn 3.  And green doesn't want a 3/3 for 4.  That was behind the curve as of...  umm...  well, in Constructed it was obsoleted by Ernie Djinn and in Limited it was obsoleted by Trained Armodon.  So Skyshroud Troopers is too expensive to be a good accelerant and too wimpy to be a playable four-drop.  Which is why it is and always has been bird-cage liner.  Tec Rift also tries to do two things, both of them too expensively.  It's cool and flavorful yes, but stapling two effects together is usually the best way to ruin both.  (The exception here is Entwine, which you guys really ought to bring back.  It solved this problem beautifully.)  So I guess you successfully managed to make M12's stone rain too expensive for Standard play...  but you also could have done that by just *not bothering to print a landkill* and instead just reprinting, say, Panic Attack.  Beast Within was designed as a Vindicate and Acidic Slime as a Naturalize Plus, and guess what?  They're actually the two best stone rains in standard.  :P  I really will never understand you guys' hesitance to print cards that a large amount of players want just because a small amount of newbies have some issue with it.  When I first started, Stone Rains were everywhere and I didn't complain.  I just identified that as "something red does", and when I played red, I expected to lose some lands, so I didn't take land-light hands.  Same vs. Sinkhole in black.  I don't think I was particularly exceptional.  I think you underestimate new players by attributing such wimpy attitudes to them.  :\

Though I do have to say from a flavor standpoint, Tec Rift makes a ton of sense.

Lure:  The fact that this is not Prized Unicorn upset me a lot.  You had it figured out, and then you backtracked to inferior tech!  :\  There has never, not once, been an art or flavor text on Lure that made it clear and obvious exactly WHY this aura makes the creature irresistably tasty to blocking beasts.  But Prized Unicorn?  You don't even need to look at the ART.  "Prized Unicorn?  Oh, obviously all my guys will want to capture it."  That's part of the mythological identity of what a Unicorn IS:  a rare and treasured magical horse that many seek but few capture.  The name alone sells Prized Unicorn from a flavor standpoint.  You could have no flavor text and people would still get it.  Lure, on the other hand, has always just felt like a dumb card to me.  I remember Lure+Bask back in the day and I too wish Basks still worked the way they once did.  I'm willing to accept their being folded into deathtouch world, sadly.  But I insist that Prized Unicorn has more flavor in one pinch of fine-ground horn than you'll find in an entire trash can of shredded Lures.  :P

Sentinel:  you were right to axe Dancing Scimitar.  I have no idea how that got into the file to begin with.  But did you never even *consider* poor old Yotian Soldier ?  :\

Empires artifacts:  If you guys really loved us, you'd have had one of these cost 1, and one of them cost 6.  That way we could actually tutor for the danged things.  :P  As it is you just printed cards that are a really unkind skill tester for newbies.  The test is, "Are you capable of realizing the Empires deck cannot be made viable with the existing tutoring tools?"  If the answer is no, then the newbie wastes a bunch of time hunting down the cards for the deck and then loses a lot of games and gets very frustrated:  "There MUST be a way to make it work!  They printed them so they'd work together, obviously!"  No, dear newbie.  There is no way.  No pile of 4 Diabolic Tutors, 4 Tezzeret AoB's, 12 mediocre artifacts and 2-3 Rune-Scarred Demons is going to win actual games of Magic.  :P

Satchel!  One of my VERY favorite new designs in the set, Tom.  ;)  I'm sure you're hating the sound of those words.  I have three letters for you:  EDH.  I love to build mono decks in EDH but if those decks lack green, they have precious little land-ramp available.  And I hate losing my accel to disks and o-stones, so I tend to avoid running a ton of mana rocks in a deck.  Hmm, how to get more lands?  Well, White has some good options and Black can loop Twisted Abomination with Lord of the Undead or Volrath's / Grotto to get swamps.  But not every black deck wants to run zombies and not every white deck wants to run out a Land Tax and get hated on.  And red is just hopeless.  

Colorless options used to be much more limited.  Jens will ramp you once, which is always welcome and a reason he's such an EDH staple.  If you can afford to trick your whole deck out in Snow-Covereds, Scrying Sheets is a decent way to search up some lands.  Terrain Generator can plop them down.  And the best option of all, CHK's oft-forgotten gem Journeyer's Kite is like a cheap-ass Jayemdae Tome that is guaranteed to find a land a turn.  Kite + Terrain Gen is a great combo on your opponent's end step:  6 mana, make a land.  "Pass to end step.  Whatcha doon?"  "Flyin' mah KITE."  ^_^

But recently WotC has really been showing the love with new land-fetching tricks that give every color some colorless ways to find their lands!  Armillary Sphere, Pilgrim's Eye, Mycosynth Wellspring, and now this wonderful toy.  The Satchel might not always hit a land, but the effect you get is generally worth 2 mana (well, maybe not the life).  And if it IS a land, it enters untapped!  Given the predominance of Top in this format, I really don't see it as being too hard to understand why people are loving this card.  Instead of "Your end step, 1, Top", it's now "Your end step, 3, Top then Satchel.  Ok, puts this land into play."  As such, I find it funny that people call this a Timmy card...  in EDH I'm typically quite Spiky and I find the Satchel just the thing for my mono-colored not-green decks to keep their mana production high throughout the game.

What color do I most like playing against?  Red, because it's predictable, as always, and best of all has no Infect creatures worth worrying about.  :D  And Timely Reinforcements basically beats that entire archetype.

Have I built a Modern deck?  Well, when my current eBay order comes in, I'll have Eggs complete (not JVL's list, but similar).  And I guess all my Extended decks are technically Modern decks too, right?  ;)  So there's always Jund...  don't think it's very competetive in the format though.  :\

Modern card prices are probably in a bit of a bubble - there was significant speculation, partly because of the de facto "emergency banning". People certainly scrambled to get cards.

There are two things that remain to be seen.

1. The first is if the "pricing" of the cards is going to be similar to Extended or similar to Legacy in the long run (I presume it is going to be a bit of both). Extended cards peaked a lot when going into the an Extended PT and PTQ season, but then slumped during the rest of time. Legacy cards tend to be stable and the ones on the reserve list slowly increase.

Now Modern is not affected by the reserve list (it is THE reason for it to exist - and in my opinion also the reason it should eventually be made to be Masques/7th forward instead of Mirrodin/8th forward, as soon as Masques arrives in MTGO entirely).

2. So the other thing to be seen is related to how WotC handles the situation. They can put Modern staples in non-Standard products (FTV, Duel decks, whatever) and they can reprint those that have no power level issues in Standard legal sets as well. The Ravnica dual lands are very likely to re-appear when they revisit Ravnica (perhaps this is going to be after Innistrad), or perhaps even in M2103.

If WotC sends a clear message that they will be making use of their freedom to reprint any card legal in Modern, I think that will show speculators / hoarders that this isn't Legacy and that there are serious risks that the card values can drop. That would (I believe) keep cards from going insane.

Ivo.
Yay for Multiverse articles!

Oh, and I'm another who likes Druidic Satchel and was pleased to see it printed.
I went 5-0 at my local prerelease on the back of Druidic Satchel, and most of the other players in the top tables had one in their decks.
DCI Level 2 Judge WPN Advanced TO RPGA Herald-Level GM
I like Druidic Satchel because it's hard to evaluate. As this thread has made clear, it's actually very good in Limited but I've still seen multiple conversations where players have been wondering whether to maindeck it! This is a Good Thing.

(Although the card isn't perfect. The one thing I don't like about it is that it's usually too obvious when to activate it.)
I was hoping for some commentary on the results of last week's poll. There seems to be broad agreement that green stinks.
I was hoping for some commentary on the results of last week's poll. There seems to be broad agreement that green stinks.

I wasn't sure whether to interpret it as "green is easy to beat" or "green is fun to play against".

I wasn't sure whether to interpret it as "green is easy to beat" or "green is fun to play against".

I read it as "green does the fewest unfun things against me". People have negative memories of counterspells, discard, wrath effects, and getting burned out from a seemingly safe life total, but green's victories are usually easy to see coming and hard to feel bad about. So in a poll asking something we usually don't think about, respondents will look for ways to reduce the number of options ("which of these do I dislike playing against?") and disproportionately come up with green as the inoffensive remainder.

Possibly both -- it's fun to play against because it's (often) easy to beat. I enjoy playing green, but it mostly lacks the unpleasant tricks the other colors can play -- counters, instakill, discard, exile, stealing, etc.  I think hexproof will help if it becomes a little more common on green's creatures. I'd like to see a few more low level uncounterable creatures as well.

I read it as "green does the fewest unfun things against me". People have negative memories of counterspells, discard, wrath effects, and getting burned out from a seemingly safe life total, but green's victories are usually easy to see coming and hard to feel bad about. So in a poll asking something we usually don't think about, respondents will look for ways to reduce the number of options ("which of these do I dislike playing against?") and disproportionately come up with green as the inoffensive remainder.

Yeah exactly. Green is easy to interact with.
I too voted for green as it lacks removal, which most people consider unfun. Therefore blue is the least popular because of its counters and steals. Black is second because of its strong creature- and hand-destruction.
The only thing that was surprising to me was, that red was less popular than white because in my meta i often hear people saying stuff like "i hate playing against white" while red is considered to be quite enjoyable to play against.

Oh and yay for the satchel, i really dig his land ability and his diversity.

Green29045.0%
White11618.0%
Red8613.4%
Black8513.2%
Blue6710.4%

I laughed maniacally, when I've read the result. Green @ 250% in comparison to the second place and @ 430% in comparison to blue. Whuahahaha... Take that R&D!!!

Now look at what green is lacking and you see the reason, why it's the favorite color to play against. No good creature removal means that you can develop your own deck and enjoy combat. And which colors are the least favorite ones??? - The two with the most powerful creature removals.

So please R&D, just continue your quest to print powerful removals in the believe that this would be a healty balance in the game!!! Titans & Baneslayer Angels are for sure legitimate due to Go for the Throat, right?!?!?

@ Lightning Elemental:
Del 9/26: Lightning Elemental is a more newbie-friendly card than Arc Runner. It gets to take out Spined Wurm on defense, and it doesn't require that the rest of the deck be massively aggro.

So a red creature with haste is preferable, if it can be used as a 1:1 blocker? I must have missed some new flavor concepts of red.

Lightning Elemental is better than the Arc Runner, because the potential damage per card is MUCH higher. But why not kick both and do it better? A Slash Panther is better than both!!! Where is the red bloodthirst creature with haste? Why no Vulshok Heartstoker that grants haste (i.e. an Inner-Flame Acolyte without evoke)? A Hissing Iguanar could have been another bloodthirst trigger.

@ Tectonic Rift:
I really will never understand you guys' hesitance to print cards that a large amount of players want just because a small amount of newbies have some issue with it. When I first started, Stone Rains were everywhere and I didn't complain.

Then you never played against the right decks. It's not fun, if the Stone Rain guy goes first and used a mana acceleration during turn 1. If you can't win with your cmc1 slot, you've lost the game before it really began. Beast within has a drawback that is well-balanced. You can still handle the creature, but still prevents land destruction decks.

You might have noticed, that Strip Mine/Wasteland is gone too... for a similar reason. WotC wants multicolor decks and even a Tectonic Edge can win a game, if you managed to destroy the only land that generates a specific color, so for me, even Spreading Seas was a bit overpowered (as a twisted reprint of Tainted Well).

Tectonic Rift combines two effects that can be added together in regard of flavor, but create a strange feeling. If you want a red "Overrun" effect, it feels awkward to cast a spell just for it's secondary effect. It's like playing a Desecrated Earth just for the discard effect, making the land destruction a minor cookie.

@ Lure:
Even during the "good old days", I preferred the Taunting Elf // Elvish Bard plus Venom combo much more than the combo Tom mentioned. So I agree with ProfN that Priced Unicorn is just too flavorful to kick it. Next time, R&D should add Lace with Moonglove or a green version of Basilisk Collar.

@ Rusted Sentinel:
Nothing prevents Ensouled Scimitar from being equipped with a Greatsword. It's like a Bird of Paradise equipped with a Slagwurm Armor... In Diablo 2, an swarm of insects could also drop armors when killed... nothing special.

Personally, I don't like the fact that "enters the battlefield tapped" is wasted on a single artifact creature. I would rather use this on a whole tribe, see Scarwood Treefolk or Rotting Legion.

@ Scepter of Empires:
Funny mistake on "emperor". I like the idea of a "tap" scepter MUCH more.

@ Druidic Satchel:
One of the best cards in M12. But I guess, it isn't good in Limited though. Against a well tuned deck, you won't have enough time. Against a "bomb" deck, this won't help either. So this would have made me feel bad as my first booster rare card.
But in a slower, more casual format (including multiplayer), where a mythic rare doesn't end the game within 2-3 turns, it can really shine. It reduces the chance of a bad land draws, grants you tokens after a wrath effect. The lifegain effect is the least impressive option, but doesn't hurt in general.
Fun with Seedborn Muse in multiplayer games.
I'm a bit of a spike, and I chose green because it is mostly incapable of doing 'unfair' things. If I lose to green, it's because they're going to beat me in the ways I expect them to, attacking with creatures or ramping to one giant card. I don't need t worry about any sneaky effects or interaction, just whether I can win before they do. NOte: I actually think this lack of subtlety, options, and 'cleverness' in green is terrible for the game, but for the purposes of the question it also means I can win while exerting the least mental effort.

Re: article:

Thanks for listening to you boss and putting Druidic Satchel in. I think M12 is the least impressive of the new core sets, but this card is one of the highlights. All of the reasons people above me have pointed out are true (flavor, cool effects, deceptively good), but I also love it for another reason. I get that the game is moving towards all-upside cards, but this is a great example of how something can be all-upside, but still have enough variance that there is a lot of skill required to use it optimally.

I thought the rest of the cards spotlighted had some interesting comments behind them. The "dancing" element of core sets was something I'd always thought of before but it's nice to see Wizards does too. For the record, I agree with Lightning Elemental's choice; it's never been good, but it's iconic, simple, and Arc Runner is equally bad in Constucted and only marginally better in Limited.

Since you mentionned it, why on earth was Greatsword printed? There are cards in Standard (some of them commons) that obsolete this and Kite Shield.
Possibly both -- it's fun to play against because it's (often) easy to beat. I enjoy playing green, but it mostly lacks the unpleasant tricks the other colors can play -- counters, instakill, discard, exile, stealing, etc.  I think hexproof will help if it becomes a little more common on green's creatures. I'd like to see a few more low level uncounterable creatures as well.

I don't think, green is easy to beat, but it's the most game-centric color. Whereas any other color tends to "destroy" or "monopolize" one part of the game, green can't do anything but win in the way, the game was designed.

But I don't believe that shroud, hexproof, "uncounterable" and "un-discard-able" is the best way to improve the game. When I decide to play black, R&D doesn't really offer me a choice. Either play with another underwhelming black creature or add another kill-spell. Hard choice!!! Same is true for blue. If you add a counterspell, you force your gameplay into the "leave mana unused". So the best cards to add is other instantaneous cards ... or to name them ... another counterspell.

Let's assume, creature-destruction would almost always take power/toughness/cost into account and would usually printed as sorceries. This would offer me a choice!!! Either take a kill spell OR add a creature that could fulfill the role. I wouldn't be forced to play destruction spells, but it would be ok to go that way instead, if it fits your style better.

Counterspells in blue are unnecessary. These cards are "latest time to prevent something" options. Let's assume, that there would be a blue Memoricide for . You weren't forced to be ready to counter every important spell, but rather name it and avoid it. A less mana-restrictive Sadistic Sacrament would do the same against single copies of Karn, etc. Likewise, blue could get cards like Oblivion Ring. MUCH better balanced than any counterspell, this card would grant blue a lot of control without being unfair.

@ Predictable green:
Green doesn't have to be that way. But if it's predictable, noone prevents more combat-oriented keywords in green. There was a time, when there were Elvish Archers rather than a Youthful Knight. So where is the reason, not to print a Akroma, Angel of Wrath in green or a Vampire Nocturnus, granting trample instead of flying... an Overrun on sticks. Why isn't there a Rotlung Reanimator naming "warrior"? Why isn't there a Anowon, the Ruin Sage or World Queller?
I play multiplayer and singleton prismatic pretty much primarily with the exception of some Realease sealed, FNM draft. I remeber looking through the spoiler the first time for m2012 and running across druidic satchel. I have to say that it was the first time in a very long time that I got that excited, have to have this card feeling. Thank you for keeping the card - more like it in the future please!!

An absolute blast with cards like Brainstorm, Crystal Ball, Sensei's Divining Top, and Mystic Speculation
The poll only had 644 votes. Last week had 1831, and in the past, it used to be over 10K respondants. The only thing of note I can take away from those poll results is most people didn't care enough to answer it.
I have to post to join the Druidic Satchel love parade. A lot of good points about why it is a fun card have already been made, but I will try to add something new. When I play in drafts or at prereleases, I enjoy repeatable action cards that let me interact with the opponent in a lighthearted way when describing the game. I get to say things like "at the end of your turn, I'll take a look in the bag, see what pops out" and it enhances the the flavor of the social level of the game. It definitely hits the right note for me - it combines good skill-testing decisions with fun gameplay moments. Even though it is a "diversity timmy" card because of the element of randomness, Spike likes the long-term resource advantage, and Johnny likes weird effects that can be tweaked for synergy with library manipulation, and Vorthos sees a nice flavorful top-down execution of a druidic magic artifact.

It's also a good example of the old-school feel that the rebooted core sets have. Long, wordy, random cards that still "feel right" in some fashion are part of the alchemy of Old Sets that we know AF was trying to recreate from M10 onward, and the satchel does a great job of providing the "modern" version of that, which means avoiding rules problems and keeping the cards relevant for limited.

I don't have any empirical data to back this up, but I suspect the card is also succeeding in the world of "shoebox" players who just have a shoebox of cards and a few vaguely themed decks and occasionally buy packs and try out what they find. I think 3 different possible upsides "reads well" and the casual player doesn't worry about the unpredictability, it's one card that gives you creatures, land, life - everything you need.
YAY! THINGS!
The poll only had 644 votes. Last week had 1831, and in the past, it used to be over 10K respondants. The only thing of note I can take away from those poll results is most people didn't care enough to answer it.

It's much more likely because the polls have been broken for MONTHS. I haven't been able to answer one in ages, and I know I'm not alone.

I wonder if they're trying to fix it, or if they haven't realized it's a problem yet, or if they just don't care. I doubt it's the third one, I hope it's the first.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
It's much more likely because the polls have been broken for MONTHS. I haven't been able to answer one in ages, and I know I'm not alone.

Same here. I haven't been able to vote in a poll in months, either. I press "Submit" and nothing happens.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yeah, I've about given up on the polls, they don't work and I've tried them on three different browsers.

As for the satchel, I haven't been able to pick up more than a few packs of M12 yet, so no bag of magic holding yet, but I am very much looking forward to putting together a 56-land.dec as soon as I have them.  
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
The poll was just "What are the weakest colors in magic in order." instead of What color do you most like playing against?  
The poll was just "What are the weakest colors in magic in order." instead of What color do you most like playing against?