Bob

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking for a very wise and patient Magic elder to explain to me why Bob (Dark Confidant) is so good. You can save yourself the "shouldn't it be obvious" replies for someone who cares. Now, I know about card advantage, however even in merfolk or elf tribal it seems like it's still too risky and i keep hearing how it's "possibly one of the best creatures ever". I just don't get it :S
Basically, life is a resource. It doesn't matter if you're at 20 life or 1 if you win. The extra card advantage wins you games. Lots and lots of games. The life loss is a minor inconvenience.

He hits for two each turn *while* drawing you cards - just like Lotus Cobra beats for two each turn *while* generating mana. You don't really want to play Bob in a deck with tons of 4cc+ cards. You want to play him in a deck where an extra card is worth 2-3 life points.

You wouldn't usually play him in tribal decks either because a good creature with a relevant tribe is even better than Bob. Goyf has been played in Elf Rock because he's just too good. Bob probably wouldn't. But in a vast amount of decks, Bob just wins games on his own.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Basically, life is a resource. It doesn't matter if you're at 20 life or 1 if you win. The extra card advantage wins you games. Lots and lots of games. The life loss is a minor inconvenience.

He hits for two each turn *while* drawing you cards - just like Lotus Cobra beats for two each turn *while* generating mana. You don't really want to play Bob in a deck with tons of 4cc+ cards. You want to play him in a deck where an extra card is worth 2-3 life points.

You wouldn't usually play him in tribal decks either because a good creature with a relevant tribe is even better than Bob. Goyf has been played in Elf Rock because he's just too good. Bob probably wouldn't. But in a vast amount of decks, Bob just wins games on his own.

Absolutely perfect analysis.
The thing that makes him better then similar cards like Dark Tutelage is the fact that he is a creature. He is removeable when you're running low on life, which means you can stop the bleeding at any time.
Photobucket
I think I see what you mean, my only problem is that, can a card be called "one of the best ever" if it has such limited uses. By limited uses I mean that it can't be used in a lot of decks. Also, one last question( based upon your answer), if dark confidant is, lets say 10/10 on a scale, then what would you rank him if he was a 1/1 or 0/1 creature.
I think I see what you mean, my only problem is that, can a card be called "one of the best ever" if it has such limited uses. By limited uses I mean that it can't be used in a lot of decks. Also, one last question( based upon your answer), if dark confidant is, lets say 10/10 on a scale, then what would you rank him if he was a 1/1 or 0/1 creature.

Bob would still be one of the best even if he was a 0/1. Also he's playable in a lot of decks being easily splashable and in the larger formats like Legacy and Modern a lot of decks have a much lower curve as decks plan to win on turn 4 making him much more playable then if he was in standard.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Bob would still be one of the best even if he was a 0/1. Also he's playable in a lot of decks being easily splashable and in the larger formats like Legacy and Modern a lot of decks have a much lower curve as decks plan to win on turn 4 making him much more playable then if he was in standard.

this.
completely and utterly this.
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
If Bob had no legs: 5/10
If Bob was 0/1: 8.5/10
If Bob was 1/1: 9/10 
Photobucket
Great analysis.

If Bob had no legs: 5/10
If Bob was 0/1: 8.5/10
If Bob was 1/1: 9/10 

Bob v. a Hurricane ...named Didka, tie
If you've been enlightened by this post, please feel free to comment. If you didn't like this post, well... that's the nature of the internet.