Divine Castigation and Reach

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a question with regards to the 5th level Cleric (Templar) power, Divine Castigation.

Among other things, Divine Castigation states that "Effect: Until the end of the encounter, whenever the target attacks you or any of your allies, it provokes an opportunity attack from you."

Now, in the Online Compendium, the description of Opportunity Attack lists it as a form of melee basic attack, with a variety of restrictions (one per turn, not on your turn, etc.), and that it can be provoked. The Online Compendium lists two ways it can be provoked: when an adjacent ally makes a ranged or area attack, or when an adjacent ally makes moves (without shifting, teleporting, or being subject to forced movement).

The print Rules Compendium, on page 246, lists a power that everybody has call Opportunity Attack, with the similar trigger, but lists it as Melee 1.

Now, Divine Castigation creates a new trigger for the provocation of opportunity attacks - for the caster only, when the targeted enemy attacks (with any power, by my understanding, including melee and close), you get an opportunity attack.

Now, because the Divine Castigation provoke-trigger makes not mention of adjacence, can a cleric wielding a reach weapon (say, a glaive) make those opportunity attacks against a non-adjacent enemy within reach of the cleric's MBA?
The Power isn't the Opp Attack, It provides the Trigger only it does NOT alter the Range (Melee 1 = Adjacent).  Unless the Cleric has a way to get Opp Attacks at reach I can't see it working at all.
Prejudice and Discrimination CardUtility 1
[Insert flavor text here ...]
@will Psychic, Fire(Special)
No Action - Forum
Target:Trolls
Effect: You summon every internet troll within 2 clicks.
Size : Gigantic Immune Psychic (It doesn't care what you think) Immune Fire (Special): Flaming powers are what internet troll's feed on. Every flaming point regenerates them by the same amount. Special: If their target has a vulnerability their attacks inflict damage of that type.

Did they change Opportunity Attacks from a Melee Basic Attack? Because I always thought that OA where MBAs, which means that Reach would let you make them at range 2, even though under normal circumstances there was no way to provoke them at that range.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Did they change Opportunity Attacks from a Melee Basic Attack? Because I always thought that OA where MBAs, which means that Reach would let you make them at range 2, even though under normal circumstances there was no way to provoke them at that range.

OA's even in the PHB1 days were defined thus:

Moving Provokes - If an enemy leaves a square adjacent to you ...
Ranged and Area Powers Provoke - If an enemy adjacent to you uses a ranged power or an area power...

Adjacency is still required.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

OA's even in the PHB1 days were defined thus:

Moving Provokes - If an enemy leaves a square adjacent to you ...
Ranged and Area Powers Provoke - If an enemy adjacent to you uses a ranged power or an area power...

Yes, but in the days of PHB1, it was the provocation that required adjacence, not the OA. Divine Castigation creates a third way to provoke, which does not require adjacence. Pre-Essentials, Divine Castigation worked with reach weapons. Now, I'm not sure.
RAW: No. Per the RC all OA's are Melee 1 in range (which means threatening reach doesn't work, Polearm Gamble doesn't work, and the list goes on.... incompetent writer ftw).
RAI: Yes.
Compared to Threatening Reach or Polearm Gamble, the Power Divine Castigation doesn't say you can use it beyond the established Range of the Power Opportunity Attack (Melee 1) so it doesn't, even if like Polearm Gamble it allow another specific event to trigger it.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

TR and PG don't say you can either. TR changes the provoke range, but not explicity the attack range (per the RC wording) and PG doesn't change the provoke or the attack range, it just adds a trigger... that then fails to work.

I posted an errata thread for it.. months? ago now. I doubt they actually read those forums.
Melee 1 breaks so many game elements though that it's pretty close to being simply incorrect text that's inconsistent with the rest of the system.

If a rule literally breaks things, as in makes them nonfunctional in their entirety, then the rule should not be applied.  RAW is not absolute.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Hey guys, an other question is arising for me. This power says whenever the target makes a hit you or a allie you get an OA. What is when the target has more than one attack, like a solo monster with six attacks. Do I get then 6 OA?

You only get one OA per turn - if the creature makes six separate attack rolls during a turn, then you need to choose one of them to react to.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...