The 1000+ Game

112 posts / 0 new
Last post
I generally only check this forum of all the forums Wizards provides. The rest aren't very useful to me. I would also add that some of the veterans (and certainly some of the newbies) that lurk in the What's a DM to Do? forums have some incredible insight into the game and creative solutions to a lot of common pitfalls. Sometimes I'm forced to bite my fist and hold back tears when I see someone here has a much better idea than me. Damn you!

Which leads me to something I was thinking about recently and discussing with a friend - what if a half-dozen of these good frequent posters (say, 1000+ counts) got together for a cool one-shot adventure online? Has this been done before? Would there be any interest in setting something up along these lines? Might be kind of a fun community event and we could post recaps and such afterward. Could we strongarm wrecan into coordinating it?

Any thoughts?

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs  |  Re-Imagining Phandelver  |  Three Pillars of Immersion

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

If it's based on serious posters, would I get 10 characters? :D

If we can overcome the timezone issues (GMT+1 here) then it might be interesting to play a game with some of the people here.

edit: Oops, 10 characters ^^ I only have 10k posts.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
regretfully for me, it would require me to play while i'm at work since my PC's been fubar'd for the past month or so due to a fried motherboard. i guess i could still sorta post from my DS since (for some strange reason) the PS3's (very crappy) web browser hates the WotC forums.
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
I'd be up for something like that, either play by post or via Skype. I'm on Pacific Time.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

If it's based on serious posters, would I get 10 characters? :D

If we can overcome the timezone issues (GMT+1 here) then it might be interesting to play a game with some of the people here.

edit: Oops, 10 characters ^^ I only have 10k posts.

Depends on the kind of game we're going for, I guess! I'm sure the brain trust could figure out how to make it work.

I'm on Eastern time, technically. (I'm in Colombia, South America which is Eastern, but this country doesn't do Daylight Savings.) My preference would be to use GameTable and whatever voicechat. I have a Ventrilo server.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs  |  Re-Imagining Phandelver  |  Three Pillars of Immersion

I was hoping you were some grognard who has kept the same campaign alive since 1977 and just logged your 1000th session with some cool anecdotes from a long-lasting game.

Good luck with setting up an your game.
I've only got a couple hundred messages under my belt and relatively little DM experience. 

But, there's a bunch of regular posters in the "what's a DM to do" forum that I'm sure I'd enjoy just being a fly on the wall with as they game, including everyone who posted above me in this thread.

Like Iserith said, the "what's a DM to Do" regulars have got some incredible insight, and very creative solutions.  I often find myself remembering things they say in regards to managing role-playing groups, and applying them in situations that have nothing to do with RPG's.  (And Iserith, you've provided your fair share of great ideas, insight, and solutions as well!)
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
I'd be game for that. Eastern time here, if folks would have me.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

I've only got a couple hundred messages under my belt and relatively little DM experience. 

But, there's a bunch of regular posters in the "what's a DM to do" forum that I'm sure I'd enjoy just being a fly on the wall with as they game, including everyone who posted above me in this thread.

Like Iserith said, the "what's a DM to Do" regulars have got some incredible insight, and very creative solutions.  I often find myself remembering things they say in regards to managing role-playing groups, and applying them in situations that have nothing to do with RPG's.  (And Iserith, you've provided your fair share of great ideas, insight, and solutions as well!)

Thanks for the kudos and right back at you.

I think my impetus for this idea stems from the fact that I am a DM far, far more than I'm a player. And when I am a player, it's when one of my players is DMing, and because we've all been gaming together for a long time, we all have pretty much the same style. As such, I have almost no opportunity to see how other people DM or have people outside my circle critique my skills. I bet a lot of DMs out there are in the same boat.

So, it looks like we definitely have some interest in the idea and a quorum for a game. Let's talk about details:

Who's up for running it?
What level, setting, genre?
Platform/gizmos to run it online?
Tentative date?

For my part, I'm open to writing and running it as it was my idea originally, but I'm more than willing to step aside and see someone else at work (see my reasoning above). My preference would be for a heroic game to keep it simpler, generic or Eberron setting, and a genre that plays to the DM's strengths as a storyteller.

For platform, I use GameTable already for my current game and I like it because it's stupidly simple and runs well on most systems. Voicechat options are endless, but I do have a dedicated Ventrilo server with excellent quality if we want to use that. For the timing of the game, we'll have to work that out with whoever "officially" signs up, but whoever's running the game will need some time to prep and people will need time to make PCs.

Thoughts?

With most of you being on eastern time (US I'm guessing?) I don't think I'll be able to play. Unless there's enough people to actually get an EU group together.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
With most of you being on eastern time (US I'm guessing?) I don't think I'll be able to play. Unless there's enough people to actually get an EU group together.

I used to play plenty of MMOs with Euros and we never had a problem scheduling stuff. Figure a 4-hour session, starting at 1 pm Eastern on a Saturday or Sunday, that's like 7 - 11 pm for someone in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong). So that's between lunch and dinner for a US player and between dinner and bedtime for a UK player. West Coast USA people would have to get up sometime before noon which I hear is really difficult for them, but perhaps they can be cajoled into doing it.

We're still only in the very initial planning stages, so don't count yourself out yet, Pluis!

I'm too young! (post count) but I agree.  This is pretty much the only board I check on the Wizards forums, unless I'm really bored and wasting time.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Unfortunately most of the evenings in my weekends are filled with real life D&D games :P

I'll wait it out, see what date/time you guys come up with. If it fits in my schedule then I'll play along, but don't try to plan specifically around just me, I think that's just too limiting for this project.

(Unless you find a lot more EU players, of course, then planning around that might be worth it) 
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Unfortunately most of the evenings in my weekends are filled with real life D&D games :P

I'll wait it out, see what date/time you guys come up with. If it fits in my schedule then I'll play along, but don't try to plan specifically around just me, I think that's just too limiting for this project.

(Unless you find a lot more EU players, of course, then planning around that might be worth it) 

Sounds good. Let's keep the discussion going. I bet we get two games going like you said. I'd love to play in or run one and then maybe do what Yronimos suggested and be a fly on the wall in the Euro game (for example).

How about we let the thread discussion run through the weekend and then come up with some firmer plans next week?

I would be perfectly willing to serve as DM, although I confess that in reading the ideas and styles of most of you, I am the last person I would suggest.

I really really really really really really really really want to play in a game run by iserith at some time. He consistently talks about doing the unexpected (which is about the only thing you *can* expect from his posts!) and I would love to experience that in a game. My look-for-the-pattern borderline-OCD nature rarely gets to experience the unexpected in D&D (or in life -- the Sixth Sense is the only movie twist to have caught me off guard, ever.)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
How about we let the thread discussion run through the weekend and then come up with some firmer plans next week?

Then again, with most of us being on Eastern time (as mentioned above), we may find a lot of us unable to continue the conversation until the weekend (and Irene) have passed us by!

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)

Then again, with most of us being on Eastern time (as mentioned above), we may find a lot of us unable to continue the conversation until the weekend (and Irene) have passed us by!

Shoot, I forgot about that. And here I was born and raised in Florida and lived there until this year. We don't get those down here in Colombia. Well, best wishes in dealing with that storm. It looks like a monster. I was in Ft. Lauderdale when Hurricane Andrew leveled Florida in 1992. It's quite an experience. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in running the game. I'd be happy to under the assumption that I'll get some comprehensive and - dare I say - brutally honest feedback after the game. That's really my goal in all of this aside from having fun... challenging myself to expand my DMing abilities by playing in and observing other long-time DMs.

I'm willing to spam 900 more to get in on the action lol.
I've always liked Centauri's take on defining success in combat encounters with a greater variety of outcomes than simply requiring PCs to kill all monsters, using movie plots as inspiration.  It really expands the horizons of what can be done with RPG plotlines and combat encounters.

But then, all these DMs have fantastic ideas... that dream game would have rotating DMs for one-shot adventures or short campaigns!
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
I have been DMing and playing with a few Thousanders from these Boards since the BETA launched for the VT and i must say its something i really enjoyed, getting to chat and play with people you've seen postings for years !

If someone run something and look for a player, or If you get in the BETA and want to play on the VT, send me a PM !

I will happily D&D with any of you ! 

PS Timezone in signature  Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I have been DMing and playing with a few Thousanders from these Boards since the BETA launched for the VT and i must say its something i really enjoyed, getting to chat and play with people you've seen postings for years !

If someone run something and look for a player, or If you get in the BETA and want to play on the VT, send me a PM !

I will happily D&D with any of you ! 

PS Timezone in signature  

Thanks for the good idea. My personal preference would be to run on a platform that is simple and familiar to the DM so that the focus of the game is the game rather than the interface. However, I would like to check out that program, so I'll ping you on PM.

I had some time to think about it over the weekend and I have a proposal, provided I'll be doing the DMing:

6th-level characters, 4e or Essentials
Eberron setting
GameTable and Ventrilo for interface
4-hour game on a day that works for all in about one month's time
4 players (5, tops) 

To recap interested 1000+ players in the USA timezones:

Centauri
Seeker95
Plaguescarred
Iserith (DM?)

Additional players/alternates: Pluisjen (Euro TZ), YronimosW.

I hope everyone survived Irene mostly intact and look forward to hearing back from you all soon. If I can get some sign-off on the above, I'll start getting to work on the game. And trust me, Seeker95, you won't expect what I have in mind, LOL. 

I  am game. I have a Dwarf Battlerager ready to brawl

Gives us a date & time and we will be there (Provided i don't work) 

I never used Game Table or Ventrilo, so i'd be up fro a short tutorial i guess but other than that, it should be all good.

Let me know. 

Dozer Rockhammer [sblock] 

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

PERSONALITY TRAITS
Born in Korunda Gate on Mror Hold in 956 YK, Dozer, son of Dar’goth, was teach the art of war at a very young age by his clan Rockhammer. His father showed all to know on weaponsmithing as well. At maturity, he joined the Iron Gate and was assigned to guard Kundarak Vaults throughtout Khorvaire, as well as transporting lingos in armored convoys. He also fought during the  Last War on the front line over the borders with Karnathi  and Thrane and was mainly involved in skirmishes that would interfere in the practice of his duties as an Iron Gatekeeper. Dozer is a boisterous, blunt and taciturn Dwarf of a kind sometimes happy cheerful, more often rumbling and grunting. He is quick to resort to violence to resolve problems he faces have a short fuse.

MANNERIMS AND APPARENCE
Dozer is a burly Dwarf with hazel eyes and red beard, that he keep braided like hair hair. He wears a bronze platemail trimmed in brass and encrusted with bright gems of blue quartz and jades, wield a heavy square steel shield and an iron waraxe showing pride, having forged it himself.Dozer works for the Kundarak, and also can be employed as a Guardian, working part-time as a private contract Bodyguard to support his expensive lifetstyle. Dozer has a tiny drug problem, he is completely additct to Rootdkai, a strong hallucinogen of Dwarvish make made from underground root-like mushroom farms, which dried leaves consumers intoxicated after chewing on it, as well as leaving their teeth and tongue with a greenish taint. Dwarves having the fortitude to withstand the side-effects, Dozer is rarely seen without a root sticked in his mouth.

Dozer Rockhammer, level 6
Dwarf, Fighter (Weaponmaster)
Height: 4’6’’  Weight: 203 lbs
Build: Battlerager Fighter
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: Battlerager Vigor
Iron Gatekeeper [House Kundarak, +2 to Thievery]
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 18, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 15, CON 15, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 26 Fort: 21 Ref: 18 Will: 17
HP: 63 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +8, Endurance +12, Intimidate +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +5, History +3, Insight +7, Nature +5, Perception +7, Religion +3, Stealth +0, Streetwise +2, Thievery +0

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Brash Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Crushing Surge
Fighter Attack 1: Hack and Hew
Fighter Attack 1: Driving Attack
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Attack 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter Attack 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter Utility 6: Daring Shout

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Axe Expertise
Level 4: Dwarf Stoneblood
Level 6: Armor Proficiency: Plate

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Handaxe
Battlecrazed Waraxe +1 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Dwarven Layered Plate Armor +2 x1
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Counterstrike Guards (heroic tier) x1
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Elixir of Dragon Breath (heroic tier)
====== End ======

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I  am game. I have a Dwarf Battlerager ready to brawl

Gives us a date & time and we will be there (Provided i don't work) 

I never used Game Table or Ventrilo, so i'd be up fro a short tutorial i guess but other than that, it should be all good.

Let me know. 

Dozer Rockhammer [sblock] 

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Dozer Rockhammer, level 6
Dwarf, Fighter (Weaponmaster)
Build: Battlerager Fighter
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: Battlerager Vigor
Iron Gatekeeper [House Kundarak] (+2 to Thievery)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 18, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 15, CON 15, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 26 Fort: 21 Ref: 18 Will: 17
HP: 63 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +8, Endurance +12, Intimidate +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +5, History +3, Insight +7, Nature +5, Perception +7, Religion +3, Stealth +0, Streetwise +2, Thievery +0

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Brash Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Crushing Surge
Fighter Attack 1: Hack and Hew
Fighter Attack 1: Driving Attack
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Attack 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter Attack 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter Utility 6: Daring Shout

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Axe Expertise
Level 4: Dwarf Stoneblood
Level 6: Armor Proficiency: Plate

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Handaxe
Battlecrazed Waraxe +1 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Dwarven Layered Plate Armor +2 x1
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Counterstrike Guards (heroic tier) x1
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Elixir of Dragon Breath (heroic tier)
====== End ======

Cool dude, sounds like a plan. Once I get feedback from the others, I'll start putting together some stuff, including download links and instructions for GT/Vent.

Having verified that I'm eligible, I'm interested.

Caveat, though: the quality of my internet connection varies a lot depending on where my motorhome is parked at the moment.

What level of optimization do you want in characters? And how serious the characters? I'll offer the DM's/party's choice of three characters:

• Crazy Cat Lady: a non-optimized character with lots of pets. Probably Sentinel|Ranger/Shaman with Animal Master background and ask DM's permission to take Arcane Familiar (or use the old Windrise Ports background so I can multiclass arcane too). If we were starting at level 11 it'd be Druid rather than Sentinel.

• Disney Princess: a concept-heavy character but reasonably optimized within concept. Bard.

• Dancer: originally a concept character but turned out to be a really good melee striker in Heroic. Fighter|Ranger. (Will ask DM for ruling on if a Cleric multiclass can take Battle Lore instead of Healer's Lore) Also comes with a rather dark backstory.

Availability assuming decent internet connection: any day, although the first session might be tricky if I don't have a week's notice; any time between 1 PM US Eastern and midnight US Pacific.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Thanks for your interest. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

As for characters, I'll post some general guidelines based upon the theme of the adventure, but a couple of overriding elements should be taken into consideration: (1) I'll probably use inherent bonuses so you don't have to use up your buy's on armor/weapon/neck - other items are more fun and you can opt to be much more versatile. (2) If I have to make a ruling on a character, go with something else. Let's keep it as simple as possible. (3) Adding more creatures to the map or using a lot of immediate actions will really slow the game down and we're going for fast-paced action adventure here.

I'm not real strict on what you do with your characters and I'll likely not be checking anyone's work except to see how I can incorporate what you have into the adventure in some way, be it skills, interesting feats, or the like - so be creative. If you've always wanted to take that one feat but thought it was too narrowly focused or underpowered to be viable, take it and point it out to me.

In short, it's honor system because honestly if anyone needs to cheat in D&D, they've got bigger problems than me calling them out on it! Again, more on this later as things come into focus. I appreciate the interest. I know this will be fun.

Teaser for the adventure I'm writing in case you want to brainstorm characters:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii1tc493bZM

My goal is to post a background story on Sunday... after I've recovered from Saturday's game of course.

I've always liked Centauri's take on defining success in combat encounters with a greater variety of outcomes than simply requiring PCs to kill all monsters, using movie plots as inspiration.  It really expands the horizons of what can be done with RPG plotlines and combat encounters.

Hey, thanks!

I haven't been following this thread closely, but I'm still interested. I'd also be interested in running non-D&D games that are less graphics intensive. Would anyone be interested in trying a gridless D&D game online?

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Hey, thanks!

I haven't been following this thread closely, but I'm still interested. I'd also be interested in running non-D&D games that are less graphics intensive. Would anyone be interested in trying a gridless D&D game online?

Sure, I'd be down. Graphics wise on this particular game, it's just maps and minis really, nothing too crazy.

Are you talking about D&D or something like D&D but different ruleset? Because that Dungeon World game looks very interesting.

Hey, thanks!

Sure, I'd be down. Graphics wise on this particular game, it's just maps and minis really, nothing too crazy.

Are you talking about D&D or something like D&D but different ruleset? Because that Dungeon World game looks very interesting.

I've heard good things about Dungeon World and it's antecedent Apocalypse World. I'm not familiar with them, but I am becoming quite familiar with Spirit of the Century which I think could handle a "low-level" Eberron game in a fun and pulpy way.

I'd be willing to run D&D gridless, with a group who knew what they were getting into. But at first I'd want to just stick with what we all know. I'm just testing the interest.

Serial Hero, Episode 6: GNOMEFINGER

Shortly after the trio of hags known as the Daughters of Sora Kell declared the sovereignty of the nation of Droaam in 987 YK, a star known by scholars as “The Eye of Hadar” fell from the sky and plummeted into a valley deep in the Graywall Mountains. Monstrous servants of the three hags as well as agents of the Citadel were dispatched to investigate, racing to be the first to claim whatever it was that was visited upon the new border between the two nations. The Citadel got there first. What they found there was so strange and dangerous that the event was quietly swept under the rug…

Years pass.

“Get off my boat!” a grizzled gnome shouts at you in a high-pitched squeal. You nearly capsize the vessel as you leap off its prow and onto the cobblestone street that abuts the canal. You stuck the landing – this time. As you dart into an alleyway, you can see the man you are pursuing speaking into a stone that he holds close to his mouth. His other hand is manacled to an ornate metal case, his knuckles white, holding onto the thing as if his life depended on it. It’s a shame you got made. Running down a former House Orien courier – and a good one at that – is no easy task.

You are chasing The Edge through the streets and canals of Trolanport, the capital city of the gnomish nation of Zilargo. Once known as Sylvestre d’Orien, The Edge was excoriated from his house two years ago after it was revealed he was smuggling weapons to Aundairian resistance fighters in Thaliost. Right about the time the Treaty of Thronehold was being finalized, a major heist was pulled off in the vaults of The Citadel itself. Artifacts and dragonshards unlike anything artificers have ever seen were taken, all of them recovered from the site where the Eye of Hadar fell. You believe that The Edge may be transporting one of these dragonshards to or on the behalf of a mysterious patron. Needless to say, it and the other dragonshards must be recovered and brought back under the protection of King Boranel.

That’s where you come in: You are agents of The Citadel or experts hired by the King’s Dark Lanterns to recover three specific dragonshards that were stolen. You don’t know why these three dragonshards – of all the purloined artifacts – are so important, but you do know that you have been working on this case for over a year and this is as close as you have gotten to solving it. Before you were made, The Edge was on his way to meet a contact named Honey Rider at Miser’s Palace in Trolanport. Now, you are trying to intercept and question him before he – and your hopes of solving this crime – disappears without a trace.

Oh, and don’t forget about The Trust. Because they certainly won’t forget about you.

I just found this thread, and it's pretty sweet.

I don't think my schedule would allow me to play (I'm Eastern time, but frequently busy, and I keep very odd hours), but if a time gets hammered out that I could make and you need another, I might be able to free up the time for it.  Either way, I'll be watching the thread!
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

Serial Hero, Episode 6: GNOMEFINGER

Shortly after the trio of hags known as the Daughters of Sora Kell declared the sovereignty of the nation of Droaam in 987 YK, a star known by scholars as “The Eye of Hadar” fell from the sky and plummeted into a valley deep in the Graywall Mountains. Monstrous servants of the three hags as well as agents of the Citadel were dispatched to investigate, racing to be the first to claim whatever it was that was visited upon the new border between the two nations. The Citadel got there first. What they found there was so strange and dangerous that the event was quietly swept under the rug…

Years pass.

“Get off my boat!” a grizzled gnome shouts at you in a high-pitched squeal. You nearly capsize the vessel as you leap off its prow and onto the cobblestone street that abuts the canal. You stuck the landing – this time. As you dart into an alleyway, you can see the man you are pursuing speaking into a stone that he holds close to his mouth. His other hand is manacled to an ornate metal case, his knuckles white, holding onto the thing as if his life depended on it. It’s a shame you got made. Running down a former House Orien courier – and a good one at that – is no easy task.

You are chasing The Edge through the streets and canals of Trolanport, the capital city of the gnomish nation of Zilargo. Once known as Sylvestre d’Orien, The Edge was excoriated from his house two years ago after it was revealed he was smuggling weapons to Aundairian resistance fighters in Thaliost. Right about the time the Treaty of Thronehold was being finalized, a major heist was pulled off in the vaults of The Citadel itself. Artifacts and dragonshards unlike anything artificers have ever seen were taken, all of them recovered from the site where the Eye of Hadar fell. You believe that The Edge may be transporting one of these dragonshards to or on the behalf of a mysterious patron. Needless to say, it and the other dragonshards must be recovered and brought back under the protection of King Boranel.

That’s where you come in: You are agents of The Citadel or experts hired by the King’s Dark Lanterns to recover three specific dragonshards that were stolen. You don’t know why these three dragonshards – of all the purloined artifacts – are so important, but you do know that you have been working on this case for over a year and this is as close as you have gotten to solving it. Before you were made, The Edge was on his way to meet a contact named Honey Rider at Miser’s Palace in Trolanport. Now, you are trying to intercept and question him before he – and your hopes of solving this crime – disappears without a trace.

Oh, and don’t forget about The Trust. Because they certainly won’t forget about you.

Oh, my goodness.

Well, the obvious choice of class, if only by name, is Avenger.

I'd play an elf of almost any class who goes by many names though always with the same initials. Paladin would be appropriate....
A warforged named Number 6.
An artificer, the group gadgetman who's also a strong field agent.

But I'll play almost any class/race combination.

Got room for one more?

(Contigent on the time/day being convenient, natch) 
Oh, my goodness.

Well, the obvious choice of class, if only by name, is Avenger.

I'd play an elf of almost any class who goes by many names though always with the same initials. Paladin would be appropriate....
A warforged named Number 6.
An artificer, the group gadgetman who's also a strong field agent.

But I'll play almost any class/race combination.

All great ideas. I'm going full pulp and Eberron on this one with a delicious sprinkling of camp, so there's little reason not to want to play something very Eberron-ish. You can't go wrong with over-the-top. I would add that I wouldn't worry too much about what other people are playing. I can adapt encounters to whatever party composition there is.

Got room for one more?

(Contigent on the time/day being convenient, natch) 

Absolutely. I'm sure we'll have the room after we've nailed down a date and time. I'll be working on the adventure Sunday and through next week. Then we can talk about scheduling. 

Work continues apace on the adventure... I figure once I get it fully written, we can hash out a date and time. We can choose a day before that time to do squawks on the techmology. In the meantime, some notes on preparing:

Character Creation Guidelines: I recommend you go full Eberron.  Eberron races or classes, Houses, backgrounds, weapons, items, the lot. You'll have more fun with the immersion. Otherwise, 6th-level standard build. Inherent bonuses will be used. This isn't the place to try out optimizations or the like. You're better off with a concept character that you can have fun playing in the context of an Eberron/James Bond parody. I welcome elevator pitches about your character to get a better idea of your overall concept, but this is not required. Try to come up with something that fits the backstory above. Draw heavily upon the tropes and cliches of James Bond movies and novels and you can't go wrong.

Download Links:

Gametable (the interface): gametable.mornproductions.com/Index

Hamachi (the thing that makes the interface work better when connecting): secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/down... 

Ventrilo (the voicechat): www.ventrilo.com/

Alright, any questions? I'm looking forward to some pulp action fun!

Grin, the laconic brawler fighter who is a reformed henchmen now working for the "good" guys. I'm thinking either a warforged whose jaw-parts are over-artificed into a horrific, jagged grin, or a goliath who underwent tribal rituals to change his teeth to lithoderms. No mechanical benefit (although biting is still an unarmed attack), just cosmetic really.

Grin, the laconic brawler fighter who is a reformed henchmen now working for the "good" guys. I'm thinking either a warforged whose jaw-parts are over-artificed into a horrific, jagged grin, or a goliath who underwent tribal rituals to change his teeth to lithoderms. No mechanical benefit (although biting is still an unarmed attack), just cosmetic really.

Sounds cool, though I would have named that character "Grill."

Who do you suppose he worked for in the past? Hmmm... I've got a brawler fighter in my current Age of Worms campaign. So I know how to make things interesting for that particular build, hehe.

Adventure Update: I'm done writing about half the scenes. True to pulp style I'm going with big set piece encounters with lots going on. In media res. Combats on countdowns. Plenty of opportunities to use skills. Running skill challenges throughout the adventure that change the story depending on what and how you do it. Plenty of opportunities for cloak and dagger stuff plus interaction scenes. I'm trying to make it very non-linear in the sense that you can opt to go anywhere in any order, but with only half a dozen or so scenes total (it's a 4-hour game), it should be fairly cut and dry in terms of the flow. Once I've gotten everything fully prepared, we can work on scheduling. Stay tuned!

Sounds cool, though I would have named that character "Grill."

Maybe that's one of his aliases.

Who do you suppose he worked for in the past?

Someone the party or their agency defeated in the past. Perhaps a "rogue" member of the Aurum. I'm open to ideas.

Hmmm... I've got a brawler fighter in my current Age of Worms campaign. So I know how to make things interesting for that particular build, hehe.

Frankly, I have to choke down some bile to even consider playing this build, let alone optimising it. I was a judge once at a convention where someone played an optimized brawler and it was awful. Enemies are rarely trained in either Athletics or Acrobatics, so there was sometimes no possible way for them to escape once grabbed, since he'd maximized his Fortitude and taken the feat that makes all escape attempts go against Fortitude. It wouldn't have been so bad, since the enemies can always at least attack the fighter, right? Except this guy had a sash that let him grab from a distance, so my creatures (which often didn't have ranged attacks either) were stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. It turns out we were slightly misplaying the sash, but fixing that would not have significantly improved the experience.

I can't find any special rules for dealing with huge creatures, so those might sort of shut down the grabbing tactic, and anything that can stay out of reach should be okay, but forget anything else.

No, I just picked this build because it seems to suit the character I'm referencing. It'd be closer if he didn't have to have a weapon in his other hand. He'd probably have a club styled as a jaunty cane, I guess. I think I gave him a throwing hammer when I made him, just to give him some range. In any case, I have no wish to do much optimization of this guy.

Someone the party or their agency defeated in the past. Perhaps a "rogue" member of the Aurum. I'm open to ideas.

My best suggestion to tie it into the plot and in particular to an important scene is to have worked for the Kech Sharaat in Darguun, perhaps seeking the scepter the Shaking Emperor absconded with at the very end of the Dhakaani Empire. A big lug like you would be right at home with that sort. Lhesh Haruuc wants to get his mits on that particular relic something fierce. Maybe you were the last surviving member of a failed expedition before moving on to your current gig.

Frankly, I have to choke down some bile to even consider playing this build, let alone optimising it. I was a judge once at a convention where someone played an optimized brawler and it was awful. Enemies are rarely trained in either Athletics or Acrobatics, so there was sometimes no possible way for them to escape once grabbed, since he'd maximized his Fortitude and taken the feat that makes all escape attempts go against Fortitude. It wouldn't have been so bad, since the enemies can always at least attack the fighter, right? Except this guy had a sash that let him grab from a distance, so my creatures (which often didn't have ranged attacks either) were stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. It turns out we were slightly misplaying the sash, but fixing that would not have significantly improved the experience.

I can't find any special rules for dealing with huge creatures, so those might sort of shut down the grabbing tactic, and anything that can stay out of reach should be okay, but forget anything else.

No, I just picked this build because it seems to suit the character I'm referencing. It'd be closer if he didn't have to have a weapon in his other hand. He'd probably have a club styled as a jaunty cane, I guess. I think I gave him a throwing hammer when I made him, just to give him some range. In any case, I have no wish to do much optimization of this guy.

No worries, I have 15 levels of experience under my belt in DMing for a brawler fighter. His particular shtick is to bump his Fort, take that feat where they have to go against Fort, and also knocks prone very frequently. What's more, the target can't even stand up until it breaks the grab first. There are points when he has so many states on a creature (marked, prone, dazed, restrained, grabbed is one combo) that it's tied up in paperwork permanently. And huge creatures get no particular bonus to escaping a grab despite the size difference.

But, you know, a minion that charges and bull rushes can end all that right quick. So don't you worry a bit about your concept. I know how to set that character up to shine without hampering his One Cool ThingTM. I'd be more concerned with the fighter's limited skills in a game with a DM that loves skills.

Too bad I'm not even halfway to 1000 and live in the EU.
I'm very interested in the game, though, maybe someone can record the game, or at least the chat log? 
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign
Too bad I'm not even halfway to 1000 and live in the EU.
I'm very interested in the game, though, maybe someone can record the game, or at least the chat log? 

Hey, don't count yourself out yet! Let me get the adventure done and we'll open the floor. I set the 1000 post-count as a bar, but I wouldn't want to turn away an interested player based on something like that. Timezone will likely be the only real restriction.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone recording the game, but I doubt there will be much in the way of a chatlog. I prefer to use the chat interface to post the skill challenges and features of the area, as well as /tells to players for the result of skill checks. Otherwise, it's all voice chat.