Hex

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I play [C]Hex[/C] and destroy all 5 creatures on the field, including my own. Now my friend is telling me that if there isn't 6 creatures on the field that the spell just fizzles and that no creatures have to be destroyed. From what I've read previously, you just have to satisfy the ability as best you can. Is my friend just being retarded, or is he right?
There has to be at least one legal target in order for you to play the spell. At that point, you just fulfil the ability as well as you can.

Don't quote me on THIS though, but can't you target the same creature more than once? 
I play [C]Hex[/C] and destroy all 5 creatures on the field, including my own. Now my friend is telling me that if there isn't 6 creatures on the field that the spell just fizzles and that no creatures have to be destroyed. From what I've read previously, you just have to satisfy the ability as best you can. Is my friend just being retarded, or is he right?

If there aren't 6 creatures on the field you can't even cast the spell. When you go to cast a spell, you must choose a legal target for the spell's requirements. For Hex, this requires 6 creatures who are targettable [a shrouded creature won't be legal] in order to cast it. If any targets become illegal after casting, then the spell will do as much as possible [unless all targets are illegal, then it will be countered when it resolves].
Level 1 Judge. Feel free to call me out on any errors. I'm only human, and am working to improve.
There has to be at least one legal target in order for you to play the spell. At that point, you just fulfil the ability as well as you can.

There has to be a legal target for the entire spell's requirements [this isn't precise wording] to cast it. Lightning bolt needs 1 targetable creature or player to cast it, Hex needs 6.

Don't quote me on THIS though, but can't you target the same creature more than once? 

No, you can't. That is targetting one creature, not six. [Also you can only choose an object for the target once for each instance of the word target. So it being "six target creatures" you can only choose a creature once. if it was "Destroy target creature. Destroy target creature. Destroy target creature" etc, then sure, target the same one.]
Level 1 Judge. Feel free to call me out on any errors. I'm only human, and am working to improve.
I play [C]Hex[/C] and destroy all 5 creatures on the field, including my own. Now my friend is telling me that if there isn't 6 creatures on the field that the spell just fizzles and that no creatures have to be destroyed.

As previously noted, you and your opponent are both wrong. You can't even cast it without choosing six distinct, legal targets. (This is why Hex is usually considered a pretty bad card.)
From what I've read previously, you just have to satisfy the ability as best you can. Is my friend just being retarded, or is he right?

You are thinking of what happens when something resolves and can't fulfil all its instructions. For example, say there's six creatures and you cast Hex, then somehow give one of them (your own best creature, naturally) Protection from Black in response, making it an illegal target. Hex will work around this as best it can, destroying the (hopefully) five remaining legal targets, and ignoring the illegal one. Only if all of its targets have become illegal will it fizzle. But you still needed all six targets to cast it in the first place.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

Now, I am not trying to be harsh or imply stupidity (because I have done the sme before), but next time you are just wondering about a single card check the gatherer page for the card.  Many times your questions can be answered there due to the question being a common one.  In this case under rulings it says:

You must target six different creatures. If you can't, you can't cast Hex. If some of the creatures become illegal targets before the spell resolves, Hex will still destroy the rest of them.

So under the rulings it says you "must target six different creatures", and in the situation you outlined there were not six targets, so you cannot cast the spell.

I have asked several questions that in hindsight could have been answered by readings the rulings in gatherer.  I am just trying to save you some time.
Yea, listen to Gatherer. It needs six legal targets but this does not make it a bad card by any means. It just makes a better sideboard card than part of a maindeck. I've had one in the sideboard of one of my decks for a long time now, and plays great against weenie, token, elf, goblin, etc. decks.

Plus the flavor text is kinda self explaining anyway...  
Sign In to post comments