Help with Dovescape

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to make a deck that takes advantage of the interaction between Dovescape and Guile (endless birds when a spell is cast with both in play). The problem is, the deck just seems to patiently sit there until I find the cards I need, especially Guile, who isn't in a rush to be found in U/W. I'd prefer to stay in Bant colors if possible, because I like the flavor Smile
Land denial is an alternate theme. Should I rework and splash green for a tutor such as Primal Command?

4xWall of Omens
4xCourt Hussar
4xGuile

4xSea's Claim
4xSpreading Seas
4xBoomerang
2xWrath of God
2xDay of Judgment
4xIdyllic Tutor
2xWipe Away
2xDovescape

4xSeachrome Coast
4xMystic Gate
4xGlacial Fortress
5xPlains
7xIsland
If you are having trouble finding guile you could play Concentration or Thirst for Knowledge.
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.
My first instinct is that this combo doesn't work, because Guile replaces the countering of the spell by exiling it. Assuming the combo does work, why the 2/2 split on DoJ WoG?

(at)MrEnglish22

My first instinct is that this combo doesn't work, because Guile replaces the countering of the spell by exiling it. Assuming the combo does work, why the 2/2 split on DoJ WoG?

The split was in regards to cards like Meddling Mage or whatever. And the combo does work (though I had to check the rules forum first to make sure)!

And I'm trying a U/G build right now:

4xOvergrown Battlement
3xVine Trellis (looking for other options, though I like the ramp)
4xCarven Caryatid (I like the card draw, but then she just sits there. Not sure if I should get an alt wincon instead)
4xBonded Fetch
2xGuile

4xSea's Claim
4xSpreading Seas
3xBeast Within
4xCompulsive Research
2xPrimal Command
3xDovescape

7xIsland
8xForest
4xMisty Rainforest
4xFlooded Grove

Not only does the combo work, but I think he might actually be screwing the opponent out of the tokens, as Guiles Ability replaces Dovescapes. Could be wrong though.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Not only does the combo work, but I think he might actually be screwing the opponent out of the tokens, as Guiles Ability replaces Dovescapes. Could be wrong though.

It does.  Guile replaces the counter of the original spell.   Which means, you get their birds and you can create an infinite loop since Guile lets you recast the spell for free.

With both Dovescape out and Guile out, something as simple as a Path to Exile (any 1 mana instant) will set you up with infinite 1/1 flying birds (or an arbitrarily large number of them, to be exact) on your opponent's end step.   

I use this to good effect at our multiplayer tables.  In those instances I would use things like Disruptive Student and Stronghold Biologist and friends to be able to play "counterspells"  through a Dovescape.
Here's a similar take that I'd like to get feedback on. It needs to get either a Ghostly Prison or Norn's Annex on turn three to reliably survive, I think. Unless I want to cut a few of those to make way for mass removal. Also, what would be an alternate win condition if Dovescape gets hosed? Celestial Colonnade?

One
4x Sea's Claim
4x Serum Visions

Two
4x Wall of Omens
4x Spreading Seas

Three
4x Norn's Annex
4x Ghostly Prison
4x Idyllic Tutor
4x Court Hussar

Six