08/25/2011 FtL: "Zend of an Era"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I love the Limbfall deck - so much fun!

If only there was a decent way to tutor for Life and Limb...

Oh, and a Doubling Season wouldn't hurt either.

I liked the Limbfall deck as well, but I just have one rules question about it:

If you turn the 4/4 beasts from your Rampaging Baloths into saprolings with Artificial Evolution doesn't Life and Limb then turn those 4/4s into 1/1s?

I mean it does say "all forests AND ALL SAPROLING are 1/1 etc." ???

Yay, I also have a Rampaging Baloths / Life and Limb deck. It is delightfully silly. I do seem to often find my lands getting shot at, though. Mine's Gwb because of Murmuring Bosk; the black is principally for Death Match, which makes a Scatter the Seeds pretty brutal. It also has a minor "sacrifice a creature" theme (good with Saprolings, and also with Academy Rector who digs up Life and Limb). I also use the old classic uncommon Sterling Grove to find whichever enchantment I need at the time.

And I also have a Ruin Ghost - Tideforce Elemental deck. Rather than the cashtastic Lotus Cobra, I use Stone-Seeder Hierophant for exactly the same effect (or even better with an Azorius Chancery out). It's one of my few decks that can unashamedly go infinite. It's used Selesnya Guildmage to make an infinite number of infinitely large tokens before, which is always fun.

I liked the Limbfall deck as well, but I just have one rules question about it:

If you turn the 4/4 beasts from your Rampaging Baloths into saprolings with Artificial Evolution doesn't Life and Limb then turn those 4/4s into 1/1s?

I mean it does say "all forests AND ALL SAPROLING are 1/1 etc." ???

I think you're right. When playing this deck, you have to choose between using Artificial Evolution on Master of the Wild Hunt, having perfect removal, and just getting a bonus 4/4 every time you get a Saproling, or using Artificial Evolution on Rampaging Baloths and going infinite with 1/1s. Which one is better depends on your opponent(s), the game thus far, your play style, and...

Oh, who am I kidding? Go infinite! Go infinite!

Note that Xenograft or Conspiracy would also work. Admittedly, they're more expensive and they render the Master of the Wild Hunt useless. But on the plus side, they apply to all your Baloths rather than just one. And in the case of Conspiracy, a saproling deck is better adding black than blue, because there are a lot more black effects that create and/or use Saprolings than blue. If you'll excuse me, I need to go work on a Ghave, Guru of Spores EDH deck...

Yay, an extra fun article!  I'm not sure why, but I think this is one of the better ones lately.

You like combos that span multiple sets?  I'll have to check my decks for some combo fun I can share with you.

I'm a bit dissapointed that the green deck had that many G's. I was really hoping it would just be called "GG". Besides that, one of the more fun batch of decks I've seen. My favorite has to be turning something that makes creatures on landfall triggers into something that makes infinite creatures per landfall trigger.
While we're going with sick amounts of landfall triggers I remembered this combo: Stone-Seeder Hierophant
Seed the Land, Perilous Forays. Use it to pull all basic lands from your library in one turn. Use the hack to change snake to saproling if you like... Seems Pretty good with  Life and Limb.
Sign In to post comments