Race with dominating racial power

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

I want to make a race with a racial power (probably encounter or daily) that can dominate an enemy. How can I balance this while still making it fun to play? Maybe you can’t use your powers while dominating an enemy or you can only dominate medium and small humanoids I would appreciate some ideas for this racial power.

I don't think that this can be done. Dominating is an amazing condition to inflict, and balancing something like that would require so many restrictions and stipulations that the power would likely stop fulfilling the intended function of racial powers as something that a character can make use of in most if not all encounters.

However, depending on how you go about it, it may be possible to do something with the same flavor as domination but that doesn't come with all of the amazing benefits that the condition itself does. For example, look at the Psion's Betrayal power. It doesn't dominate, but it still has that flavor.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I'd suggest racial power that had fluff of limited domination, but that mechanically caused something simpler. Racial powers to compare power balance with are ones which make your own actions more effective (Dwarven Resilience) or enemy actions less effective.

Perhaps:

Brief Domination          Racial Encounter       
For an instant you control the actions of an enemy, causing it to move involuntarily and become confused.

Minor action.
Close burst 5. Target: One creature in burst
Attack: Best stat +3 vs Will. (+6/+9 at Paragon/Epic)
Hit: Slide target 1 square, and it may not target you with an attack until the start of your next turn.

. . . you can then add some feats to improve on this if the players are into the domination side of the race. For example, force the enemy to take a Minor action (as a free action) - or if that is too open-ended for balance (it allows you to make flying creatures drop prone or armed creatures drop their weapon for example), you could come up with some other variation - creature may not take Opportunity or Immediate actions for instance.

Probably a full domination effect, even one highly time limited, is going to be  Paragon Path or Epic Destiny for the race.
Or you could go with something like Commander's Strike, but used on an enemy. Just a thought.
Think the Ossassin sucks? Think again! Check out my attempt at a fix!
Sign In to post comments