Mana usage question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello -

I have a question (or two) in reference to Mana usage.  I've been playing a friend that has a decent artifacts deck.  He has a card that gives each land 2 Mana when it is tapped (don't remember the card name, it is an artifact I believe).  If he taps 2 lands to get 4 mana, but only uses 3 mana to play a creature (or anything else, he doesn't use all of the mana generated when the land(s) were tapped), does that 1 mana left-over remain "in play" where he could use it to cast something else or does it "drop off"?

Could he keep that 1 mana left-over in play by tapping another land (or lands and adding 2 or more mana to the one) and then cast an additional spell?

As I understand mana usage, any mana that is left over after a step "falls out" at the end of that step.  Does that apply in this case?

Thank you - Pops
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Mana pools empty as each step and phase of the turn ends. That is, as soon as both players pass while the stack is empty. You can only carry mana over between steps/phases (and turns therefore) if you have permission.
ΦΦΦΦΦ
Mana remains in the mana pool until the of the current step or phase, then it empties.

So he'd be able to cast two 3 mana spells with three lands, but he'd have to cast them during the same step or phase. He couldn't cast one in his first main phase, and then cast the other in his second main phase.
… and then, the squirrels came.

sorry i been out of magic for some years now. so there is no more mana burn? where you take 1 damage for each mana you did not use in your phase?

sorry i been out of magic for some years now. so there is no more mana burn? where you take 1 damage for each mana you did not use in your phase?

Mana Burn no longer exists. I believe this was changed with the M10 rules change.
Level 1 Judge. Feel free to call me out on any errors. I'm only human, and am working to improve.
Ooh. Ok cool. Thanks
If you've been away for a few years, you might want to check out the Returning Players Rules Primer. It's well written and outlines everything that has changed since you left.
57092228 wrote:
It is not logic: it's Magic.

Could he keep that 1 mana left-over in play by tapping another land (or lands and adding 2 or more mana to the one) and then cast an additional spell?

Short: Yes. Long:
Yes, but only if the second spell (or ability) is played in the same step (for example, both are cast during upkeep, or in the Declare Blockers Step, or in Postcomabt Mainphase).

As I understand mana usage, any mana that is left over after a step "falls out" at the end of that step.  Does that apply in this case?

Thank you - Pops

See above. Yes, Manapools empty when Steps end, but during one step, you can cast as amny spells as you like (or else the various Storm Decks would not work properly, especially Dragonstorm).
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Thank you all for the replies.  I understand and appreciate your responses -  Pops
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Sign In to post comments