The Mysteries of the Tavern ... Explained!

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, welcome.  If you've already been here a while, uhh ... welcome again.  This thread is (hopefully) gonna explain what I think is the oddest place on these here D&D boards.  Odder than 4e.  Odder, even, than Previous Editions.  Anyhoo, here we go:

Even though this is the Off-Topic Tavern and the topics can be loose and certainly take you out of the rest of the boards, the CoC still applies so be sure to click that highlighted CoC, read it, learn it and love it.  ;)  You'll also want to familiarize yourself with the contents of this thread as it explains rules as they specifically apply to this very strange place.  Oh, and be sure to post a li'l blurb about yourself here if you're new (or if you've been around a while and are just plumb lazy ... like a certain mass of undead infants that may have promised to post about itself there a long time ago and still hasn't) so we can get to know ya a li'l.  You don't have to, but why not? 

Alright, finally done with the 'blah blah blah' - on to the fun!  The Tavern environment can be strange when compared to other areas of the forums.  The topics are very varied and so, therefore, are the people that post here.  There's some that stop by for a run by post every now and again and then there's us 'lifers' that are here every day, day in and day out posting nonsense.  You may have noticed that some of us have very similar things in our signatures and that some of us have very similar avatars, too.  You also likely noticed that those things are, typically, OTTer related.  Hold on, I know it's silly but let me explain!  Sheesh!    OTTer is a way we refer to ourselves here.  It stands for Off-Topic-Tavern-er ... or something.  We regulars like this place.  Anyway, if you post here often and feel like an OTTer, you are one.  Tell tale signs are frequent, short posts, common silliness, the ability to embrace a topic gone off the rails (not that you'd just do it on purpose - that's a CoC no-no), whiskers, an oily coat and a taste for fish.  If you have two or three of those, you may be an OTTer.  Or a furry.  We don't judge.  You may have also noticed that a lot of us have 'Resident' titles.  Want one?  Well too bad!    Kidding, kidding.  Here's how to get one: either ask for people to suggest some possibilities or just go ahead and give yourself one.  I know it seems like we're sort of a group of buddies that you'd have difficulty getting into with stuff like similar sig tags, sort of pet names and the like but we're not.  Just jump right in.  None of that is set to some specific code or anything and nobody will jump on you if one day you call yourself an OTTer or a Resident title shows up in your sig.  As a matter of fact, they'll probably be happy there's another nut in the bag.  ;)  So ... yeah.

Hmm ... what's next ... topics?  Yeah, topics.  As stated, threads here can be about all sorts of things.  They also can be driven wildly off the rails.  That's ... ok.  Well, ok if everyone in the thread is ok with it.  Again, the CoC applies.  We're also good - believe it or not - at keeping to a topic.  If you post a thread and would really like people to stay on that topic, go ahead and ask them to.  Nothin' wrong with that.  Topics, topics ... oh yes, from time to time topics that could get into CoC prohibited areas (religion, politics, etc) will be posted.  They won't start out that way but, as conversations evolve, they may take a turn that way.  That's not good because it's against the rules so ...  ... we ... we have a group.  Don't worry, it's all good.  If politics and religion and other stuff that can't be discussed here is your bag, the group is your place to be.  It is private so that people outside cannot see the content in it and that means you will need to be invited.  Just ask around, we like to have new voices there.  Oh, and the group is something WotC is aware of if that's a concern.  Just to be perfectly clear (yeah, like I could pull that off), threads started about politics and religion are a huge, huge no-no.  They will be closed and action could be taken against whoever posted it.  Those things seem to lead to trouble what with people being so passionate about them so please do not start any threads here that are religious or political in nature.  Hmm ... there's something ... oh yeah - threads about D&D or M:tG are considered off-topic here so please keep that noise confined to the places it's supposed to be.  Yeah.   That's topics, I think.

Oh wait!  One more topic - the Sacred Thread.  This thread has been a part of the Tavern in one version or another (always killed due to size - not CoC violations) and, OTTo willing, will remain so until the end of time!  Seriously, though, the OTTers take this totally not serious thread very seriously and make sure all posts abide by all rules.  The idea is to just talk about whatever - so long as it's within bounds.  For whatever reason, it's been our longest-lived topic and it's sort of an icon.  Please respect it and do not be afraid to mention it if you see someone forgetting to do so.

Welp, that's it for now.  My fingers are tired and I just don't feel like blathering on anymore.  If you're new or old or whatever and have questions, feel free to PM me.  I'm nobody official, that's for certain, but I may be able to help and I'll certainly try.  Yep.  And ... and now for the moment I sort of dread:

OTTers, what say you?  Anything to change or add?  Please be kind! 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Run for the hills!  He mentioned nuts when there's a homicidal squirrel on the loose!

Seriously, though: we don't bite. Just remember, there are people of all walks of life and countries that post here, and, TBH, some people just don't like other people.  That's okay as long as you keep it civil.
Two... Ah ah ah! Three.. Ah ah ah! Four... Ah ah ah! Six... Ah ah ah!!
88534793 wrote:
Punctuation exists for a reason, and your neglect of the shift key is to the point where Social Services should be involved.
Speaking of homicidal squirrels in my Escap... I mean lunch break from jury duty, there was a particularly interesting squirrel that kept running along the nature trail by the river, on the hand railing. Taking his time to pause at each and every post, as if on patrol.

Pretty much sums it up, though I might add. You might want to develop a thick skin. We like to joke on each other. Alot.
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
Speaking of homicidal squirrels in my Escap... I mean lunch break from jury duty, there was a particularly interesting squirrel that kept running along the nature trail by the river, on the hand railing. Taking his time to pause at each and every post, as if on patrol.

Pretty much sums it up, though I might add. You might want to develop a thick skin. We like to joke on each other. Alot.

He was on a There had been mention of nuts and we had to investigate.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
I think it more likely he was on a recon run, to see if the restaurant I was eating at, would be willing to donate it's delicious fries to the squirrel cause.

No shame in admitting it. Friday Friend's has amazing fries.
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
Good post Z_B.
And Cap'n, I asked you a question in another thread, but I see it has been answered here. So, disregard my question in that other thread.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
I think it would be best for those that are newer to the OTT to start posting in more light hearted threads such as the sacred thread first so they can get to know the community and such rather than jumping into some argumentative topic and feel like either they are being flamed or that we're being too mean to each other. Yeah sometimes we OTTer can look like we hate each other but in private we do a lot of huggling, but we don't show that to most people. We're "In the Closet" still so to speak. ;)

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

Not a bad idea.  And that's our most funnest thread anyway. 

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

"most funnest"

Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
Dood.  Stuff like 'most funnerest' is what makes the Tavern the most funnerest place to be. 

Section Six Soldier

Of course, some people just plainly refuse to play along and have neither OTTer avatar nor a Resident title, yet still count themselves as regulars. Some even avoid the many sacred thread incarnations like plague.
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
Yeah, but those folks are just troublemakers.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
I think it more likely he was on a recon run, to see if the restaurant I was eating at, would be willing to donate it's delicious fries to the squirrel cause.

No shame in admitting it. Friday Friend's has amazing fries.

We squirels do not ask for donations. We take what we want. For example, yesterday I felt like So I took it.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
I think the restaurant is quite safe, with my bloodthirster parked outfront ;)
Yeah, but those folks are just troublemakers.

I am not a troublemaker...

(I don't make trouble, I'm just a wholesale trouble retailer.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Looks awesome.

The only thing that I would suggest is to bold/emphasize somehow the following:

1. D&D talk (as well as Magic the Gathering, etc) talk is Off topic inthe OTT. As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, there are fora specifically designed and set up for those topics here on the Wizards website. Discussions of those topics are to be done in those forums.

2. The no politics/religion thing - Emphasize that.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
You are ruining all the mystery Z_B

At least you didn't tell them about...  the secret code

So I guess it's all good. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Looks awesome.

The only thing that I would suggest is to bold/emphasize somehow the following:

1. D&D talk (as well as Magic the Gathering, etc) talk is Off topic inthe OTT. As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, there are fora specifically designed and set up for those topics here on the Wizards website. Discussions of those topics are to be done in those forums.

2. The no politics/religion thing - Emphasize that.

Thanks.  Suggestions taken and content added.  I tried to keep the overall flow/style together, though, so hopefully the additions make sense but don't look forced in. 

You are ruining all the mystery Z_B

At least you didn't tell them about...  the secret code

So I guess it's all good. 

Secret code, eh?  Hmm ... what was that again?  Up, Up, Down ... yeah, I think I'll keep the rest locked in the ol' noggin'.  ;)

Section Six Soldier

Nice OP, ZB.  Sums everything up quite well, even if the title was a bit misleading.  "Mysteries of the Tavern" kinda makes me think about the real mysteries of the tavern: the "Seven OTTer wonders of the Boards", as it were.  You know, things like "Where did KGM meet Vin Diesel?", "How does HS wear those toe-shoes he likes considering he has squirrel feet?", "What's Mechapilot's actual gender?" Sealed, "Is Klirshon secretly a go-bot?".  That kind of stuff.Tongue out

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Huh? I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
I kind of dumb. Well other folks around the world just call it canadian. But whatever. What I'm meaning to say is all these OTTer pictures are confusing me.

Since there's no official and published Who's Who of the evil lurker lords around here, I say you guys should have ribbons. The colored kinds. Like the Ninja Turtles did. Then I can see what's going on.

Now, if only I wasn't colorblind too ...

p.s. I DO NOT blame my mom for marrying her cousin.
“Capitalism should not be condemned, since we haven't had capitalism.” - Ron Paul “We will have a world government whether you like it or not. The only question is whether that government will be achieved by conquest or consent.” - Paul Warburg
I kind of dumb. Well other folks around the world just call it canadian. But whatever. What I'm meaning to say is all these OTTer pictures are confusing me.

Since there's no official and published Who's Who of the evil lurker lords around here, I say you guys should have ribbons. The colored kinds. Like the Ninja Turtles did. Then I can see what's going on.

Now, if only I wasn't colorblind too ...

p.s. I DO NOT blame my mom for marrying her cousin.

You're kind of handsome for being an inbred...must be royalty.

*Doesn't care how old post is* 
Yes, I do regret my Forum Name...Tech N9ne is clearly the best rapper of all time. I am currently looking to get in on a Real Adventures PbP game. PM me if you are looking for another PC.
something like this hsould be added to the OP "The off topic tavern community has its own culture and it is best to stick around and slowly understand what everything means before posting or asking a question."

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
*vomits on thread*
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
Rude 
"The real purpose of socialism is precisely to overcome and advance beyond the predatory phase of human development." -Albert Einstein Resident Left Hand of Stalin and Banana Stand Grandstander Half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo House of Trolls, looking for a partner Wondering what happened to the Star Wars forums?
Show
Star Wars Minis has a home here http://www.bloomilk.com/ and Star Wars Saga Edition RPG has a home here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php
Show
141722973 wrote:
And it wasn't ****. It was subjectively concensual sex.
57036828 wrote:
Marketing and design are two different things. For instance the snuggy was designed for people in wheel chairs and marketed to people that are too incompetent to operate a blanket.
75239035 wrote:
I personally don't want him decapitated.
141722973 wrote:
And do not call me a Yank. I am a Québecois, basically your better.
And the greatest post moderation of all time...
58115148 wrote:
I gave that (Content Removed) a to-scale Lego replica. (Content Removed) love to-scale Lego replicas. (ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Vulgarity is against the Code of Conduct)
 if you don't like what someone is saying, ignore them. If you report, you will be hated, despisd, and shunned....

this should be repeted every 5th sentence...

Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
Hmm interesting. and well explained :P
Nothing really explained, I still am confused. You do not talk about Dungeons & Dragons game here? In a taveren? This is where adventures are meeting up!
What an odd coincidence, I love women with horns coming out of their heads.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine

@)-\--- Smells Like Awesome---/-(@

You're welcome. 

yowza! now thats what im talking about!! 

gives you something to hold on to, knowhatimena?

I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there

Oh!
You mean her...

YEAH!
That's whati'mtalkinbout!

Oh!
You mean her...

YEAH!

Thank God you are terrible at posting pics and vids. I don't ever want to know what Lovcraftian horror you were trying to show us.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

Oh!
You mean her...

YEAH!

Thank God you are terrible at posting pics and vids. I don't ever want to know what Lovcraftian horror you were trying to show us.

I agree with HS.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls

Ewww...

Come visite a strange place with little taboos! Thank you Trappedslidder for giving me the link where OTTers in exile have fun!

Ummm Kram..the folks who posted before you in this thread were all hit with a permaban and have sicne moved over to enworld and thire own forum,if you'd liek the address I can toss it to you via pm

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:

Cool!

Come visite a strange place with little taboos! Thank you Trappedslidder for giving me the link where OTTers in exile have fun!