Soul Sisters

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Somewhat surprised no one has posted one yet, but whatever.

Having given up on playing anything with green, black, or blue in it, that leaves me red or white. I'm not particularly fond of burn decks, or goblins, so that doesn't leave me many options in red. So, white it is. I've always liked Souls Sisters and it is fairly budget, which is a plus.

Creatures:

4x Martyr of Sands
4x Serra Ascendant
4x Soul's Attendant
4x Soul Warden
4x Student of Warfare
4x Ajani's Pridemate
4x Ranger of Eos

Other Spells:

3x Brave the Elements
4x Path to Exile
3x Proclamation of Rebirth

Lands:

4x Flagstones of Trokair
18x Plains

Sideboard:

3-4x Ghost Quarter and/or Tectonic Edge
1x Brave the Elements
4x Auriok Champion
1-2x Disenchant
4x Kor Firewalker
1-2x Oblivion Ring

It's a fairly straight-forward deck. You gain life then destroy them with things like Ajani's Pridemate.

It was sort of a tossup between Student of Warfare and Figure of Destiny. In the end I chose Student because it becomes more threatening quicker. Figure of Destiny is a 2/2 on turn two at best. Punishing Fire laughs at it. Student of Warfare on the other hand, once you've invested into it, requires them to hit it with a Lightning Bolt or something similar. It also has an easier time tangling with things like Wild Nacatl early on. In the end Figure of Destiny requires a total mana investment of while Student of Warfare only needs , though it is slightly less frightening overall.

The sideboard is a bit wonky all around, but I'm mainly preparing for Zoo and Jund matches. 12-Post might eventually require me to run land destruction (Ghost Quarter). Not sure what else I might see in the format but I think Kor Firewalker and Auriok Champion will be sufficient to handle most of what is currently being played.

I won't run Mutavault, or any manlands at all. The last thing I need is to have a Plains out and need with only a Mutavault in hand. This deck can function just fine off of two mana but it needs that mana to be white and having only is game ending.
I've been considering the very same type of deck, but I have been working on a few other decks first.  First of all I would sideboard in the ugly step-sister for token/swarm decks (another good card for the sideboard is Timely Reinforcements).  Also is there a reason you're not running the infinate creature combo for this deck?  Phyrexian Metamorph and Leonin Relic-Warder
I've been considering the very same type of deck, but I have been working on a few other decks first.  First of all I would sideboard in the ugly step-sister for token/swarm decks (another good card for the sideboard is Timely Reinforcements).  Also is there a reason you're not running the infinate creature combo for this deck?  Phyrexian Metamorph and Leonin Relic-Warder

While I can't speak for the OP, I know that I just don't have room in my list for it. It's a cute combo, but I've actually found it to be better in a combo-focused deck that wants to just straight win off of it.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.

While I can't speak for the OP, I know that I just don't have room in my list for it. It's a cute combo, but I've actually found it to be better in a combo-focused deck that wants to just straight win off of it.

Actually, this is pretty much my reason. I like the fact that it's a relatively easy to pull off combo, and Phyrexian Metamorph is a useful card, but I just don't have the room for it, especially given the fact that the deck functions almost flawlessly as is. If more testing proves it necessary for me to have such a combo I could probably work it in somehow.
Makes sense.  Looking back over the deck list I tried to figure out which 8 cards I could take out for it, and realized that you were right, the list is so tight right now, I'm not sure if there is 8 cards that can be shuffled around.
I think I would like to see some Sword of Fire and Ice in here. Probably as a 2-of. Sejiri Steppe might also be worth consideration as a 1 or 2-of.
Makes sense.  Looking back over the deck list I tried to figure out which 8 cards I could take out for it, and realized that you were right, the list is so tight right now, I'm not sure if there is 8 cards that can be shuffled around.

Maybe not in THIS deck, but there's nothing keeping you from taking the combo and building a ETB/LTB abusing shell around it.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
I think I would like to see some Sword of Fire and Ice in here. Probably as a 2-of. Sejiri Steppe might also be worth consideration as a 1 or 2-of.

This. I'm not sure what you could drop for the Swords though. Maybe one Ranger of Eos and one Path or Brave. Or just run one Sword.
I've done some testing in the past with Sword of Fire and Ice and it worked pretty well. I might drop a Ranger and something else for two, though I'd probably run one Fire and Ice and one Light and Shadow. Protection from black (Terminate, Maelstrom Pulse, etc.) is okay, but white is golden (Path to Exile, Lightning Helix, Knight of the Reliquary, etc.). The recursion also works well in this deck (Martyr of Sands), and we could always use more life.
Now that Cloudpost, Infect, and various combo decks have been nerfed, I feel that Souls Sisters has a slightly better chance against the field. This is my current version, which only has real trouble dealing with Splinter Twin.

Creatures:

4x Martyr of Sands
4x Serra Ascendant
4x Soul's Attendant
4x Soul Warden
3-4x Student of Warfare or Champion of the Parish
4x Ajani's Pridemate
4x Ranger of Eos

Other Spells:

3x Brave the Elements
4x Path to Exile
2-3x Proclamation of Rebirth
0-2x Sword of Fire and Ice and/or Sword of Light and Shadow

Lands:

3x Kabira Crossroads
2x Scrying Sheets
17x Snow-Covered Plains

Sideboard:

3-4x Ethereal Haze
4x Auriok Champion
3-4x Disenchant
4x Kor Firewalker

The sideboard is largely aimed at dealing with Zoo and Splinter Twin, maybe Melira Combo. Outside of that, I've been thinking of dropping the Kabira Crossroads for three more Snow-Covered Plains, since I like being able to make an opening play even if I only have one land in hand (I keep one land hands because I'm crazy like that).

Opinions on how it can hold up against the new, Cloudpost free, environment as well as any suggestions in general would be appreciated. I'd also like thoughts on the possible benefits of Champion of the Parish versus Student of Warfare. With the number of one drop humans, I think the Champion could be a good addition.
I like your new version much better than the first one. I'd keep the Kabira Crossroads, since you never know when that two life will be the difference between you stabilizing or getting run over. It also gives a nice free +1/+1 boost to Ajani's Pridemate.

As far as the Champion of the Parish or Student of Warfare is concerned, I think either one is fine, but I like the Champion better. Let's take a look at an example opening hand.

Snow-Covered Plains, Snow-Covered Plains, Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Champion or Student, Path to Exile, Ranger of Eos

Turn one Snow-Covered Plains into Champion of the Parish. Turn two Snow-Covered Plains into Soul Warden and Soul's Attendant. The Champion is now a 3/3 and you can swing away.

That same hand with Student of Warfare and a similar play would have given you a field consisting of a level two Student and two Snow-Covered Plains. The student does have first strike, but you put all your effort into one creature that could get bolted. At least if the Champion gets killed you'd still have both the Sisters.
well I have been working on a deck for a while that I like to call Martyr Sisters because it is soul sisters with more focus on the recusion of Martyr of Sands. Here is the decklist so far:

Lands
3x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
18x Plains

Creatures
4x Soul's Attendant
4x Soul Warden
2x Suture Priest
4x Martyr of Sands
4x Ranger of Eos
4x Ajani's Pridemate
4x Serra Ascendant
2x Sun Titan
2x Reveillark

None-Creature Spells/Permanents
4x Ghostly Prison
3x Path to Exile
2x Proclamation of rebirth

SideBoard
4x Auriok Champion
3x Disenchant
4x Kor Firewalker
1x Path to Exile
2x Suture Priest

I can't really think of the finally sideboard card. but ya there is the decklist so far.
I'm playing around with a version of this.  I play a lot of multiplayer, so I'm trying to keep that in mind... but one thing I really am enjoying in my build is the interation between Spectral Procession, Windbrisk Heights and the Soul Sisters.  Turn one Soul Warden, turn two Ajani's Pridemate, turn three Spectral Procession is not unheard of... and Windbrisk heights helps keep the deck from running out of steam.  Spectral Procession is also a good way to come back after a wrath effect  Maybe consider adding Windbrisk Heights instead of Emeria the Sky Ruin...?  As for what to cut for Spectral Procession, I'd say maybe Reveillark which doesn't seem as threatening, and which is kind of slow.