Doran

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm putting together a midrange Doran deck, and this is the first draft that I came up with. Any glaring problems anywhere? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Creatures: 24

4 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Loam Lion
4 Tidehollow Sculler
2 Qasali Pridemage
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Doran, the Siege Tower
2 Obstinate Baloth 

Spells: 12

2 Path to Exile
4 Inquisition of Kozilek I dont own any Thoughtsieze...
2 Nameless Inversion
2 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Behemoth Sledge

Lands: 24

4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Marsh Flats
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Murmuring Bosk
1 Godless Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Temple Garden
3 Forest
2 Plains
2 Swamp
Where is Spellskite?
How about Reveillark to get key creatures back?
lark is too slow, and does nothing against combo.

drop the 2 baloths for 2 more pridemages, since pridemage actually affects splinter twin lists.

I personally don't like the mid-range lists, just because I think it's a dog to certain combo matchups (living end, twin, marty, etc.)

Photobucket
lark is too slow, and does nothing against combo.

drop the 2 baloths for 2 more pridemages, since pridemage actually affects splinter twin lists.

I personally don't like the mid-range lists, just because I think it's a dog to certain combo matchups (living end, twin, marty, etc.)

Thanks, what other cards would you cut to turn it into a more aggro doran deck? Goyf is out of my pricerange by the way.

Also, I don't own any spellskites, so I didn't think of that. I'll have to get my hands on some.

Edit: Skinshifter seems good with doran out... basically an 8/8 plant. Would basically take the place of goyf for me. 
The ideal Doran aggro list is essentially this shell -

4 Noble Hierarch
4 Loam Lion
4 Qasali Pridemage
2 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Tarmogoyf (skinshifter works here)
2 Doran
4 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Dungrove Elder
2 Dryad Arbor

The rest of the deck can either be disruption (tidehollow sculler, IoK, thoughtseize, Hypno Specter), removal (path, maelstrom pulse, zealous persecution, go for the throat), or utility (aven mindcensor, grand abolisher, sword equips, etc.).

Doran can be geared to beat just about any deck in the format, but I've found that going disruption maindeck and removal sideboard tends to give the safest spread against the meta. My personal list runs 4 tidehollow scullers along with some IoK and thoughtsiezes.

If you don't think Zoo is going to be prevalent in your meta, you can drop the loam lions and the KotRs in favor of sword equips + tricky GSZ tech like a singleton Rafiq of the Many + a singleton Chameleon Colossus. 9 times out of ten you're using GSZ on turn 1 for a dryad armor, or turn 2 for a pridemage, but it's nice to surprise an opponent with 14 damage out of nowhere.

Be aware that Doran is far from the scariest card in your deck. Dungrove is often better, as is Teeg.

Photobucket
Thanks for the great response. I'm looking at that list though and it seems to me that I should no longer be playing Bosk since the number of treefolk has been cut to 4. Would you suggest dropping that all together?
Nothing wrong with playing 4 bosk. Remember that fetches can grab a bosk, and you won't always need to curve out.

Photobucket
Murmuring Bosk is arguably one of the best fixing lands in the format. 3 colors in a wedge that is fetchable...  tough to beat.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Spell. Skite.
This is what I've been playing with for a day or 2 have been doing pretty fine

4x Tidehollow Sculler
4x Loam Lion
4x Qasali Pridemage
4x Tarmogoyf
2x Treefolk Harbinger
4x Doran, the Siege Tower
--
3x Oblivion Ring
3x Dismember
4x Thoughtseize
2x Damnation
--
4x Marsh Flats
4x Verdant Catacombs
4x Murmuring Bosk
1x Temple Garden
1x Godless Shrine
1x Overgrown Tomb
3x Plains
3x Forest
3x Swamp

No sb yet though >_>

who would play obstinate baloth while timely reinforcements is legal?

I can see the upside of playing a guy that actually trades or kills a large portion of zoo creatures, not to mention survives a bolt or helix.

Photobucket
Razor, can you share a version with Skinshifters in place of Tarmogoyfs and Dungrove Elders?

Thanks. 

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Maybe Wilt-Leaf Liege over Baloth unless you really need the life gain because it would pump all of your creatures.
Razor, can you share a version with Skinshifters in place of Tarmogoyfs and Dungrove Elders?

Thanks. 

Done.

The doomblades and baloths are actually flex spots. Timely reinforcements is actually a lot less value against well-designed mono-red decks, largely because you are going to be even-or-up on them in terms of creatures, and it's too easy to burn out a 1/1 when you NEED to trade with a marauder or a figure of destiny. Torpor Orb + Bridge is largely there for the myriad combo decks in the format, as is the bojuka bog.

Skinshifter is a 90% downgrade to goyf, but he allows some pretty quick kills if you get the game locked down with a bridge.

EDIT- also note that dark confidant just isn't good enough right now. If-and-when combo gets reined in, maybe we can start thinking about winning the CA war, but that's not an option just yet.

Photobucket
Where are the Dungrove Elders?

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Where are the Dungrove Elders?

Maybe I mis-read your request? I thought you wanted skinshifters instead of goyfs or elders. In that case, it's pretty simple to drop 2 skinshifters for 2 elders.

As much as I like this list, I think Kavu Justice is just a much better choice against the field right now, largely because boom/bust and fiery justice are both blowout cards against a lot of matchups.

Photobucket
Yeah I meant feel free to cram as much Elder and Skinshifter in as you like.

Boom // Bust is a card I love. Maybe I should force it into my Smallpox deck. I tried that a couple years ago in Extended and never got the chance to test it.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Sign In to post comments