Default magic items for generated various level characters

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

So these are test characters not real PCs but does anyone have an algorithm for defining magic items for characters of specific levels.

So for example if you had level four level 4 characters - two fighters, a cleric and a mage how many magic items each, and can you apply the same algorithm to a level 12 character?

e.g. a simple algorithm might be

• one permanent magic item per two levels of the character.

• armor/weapons are no greater than +1 per 8 levels of the character.

• one potion or scroll per three levels of the character.

thoughts?

The DMG has guidelines for treasure available to characters of higher level, I'd just stick with that.

It's basically:

- One item of character level +1 
- One item of character level 
- One item of character level -1
- Gold equal to one item of character level -1 to spend freely
- As much mundane gear as you want (within reason) 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
If you're trying to determine how many magical items a character that had been played from level 1 would have, that's tricky.

I like your thoughts, but you might want to tie the '1 item per 2 levels' thing to the levels they might have got them at, so '1 item (of level 1 or 2) at level 2, 1 item (of level 3 or 4) at level 4,... etc.'

Also if you make it +1/8 levels max, that means that a level 30 character has only +3 weapons and armour... so no. +1/5-6 is the default for the inherent bonus system (as if you had magical items, but intrinsic to the character), so maybe that's the way to go there.

Perhaps just give them x gold equal to item of current charcter level to spend on potions/consumables, double that for common-uncommon magical items, max weapon/armour/neck enhancement of +1/5 levels?

But as Pluisjen says, the standard for creating characters above level 1 is set in the books.
Chandrak's awesome solutions to the 5-minute workday 'problem'
97183719 wrote:
Seeing as there is a disconnect between balance (quantifiable) and fun, (subjective and personal) discussing fun in a thread about balance because you find one system more enjoyable than another is as helpful as discussing religion in a thread about architectural engineering because you think cathedrals look prettier than outhouses.

Right, I'm trying to replicate what an average party might have aquired if playing from level 1.  I always think its a little funny back in 2ed that people like Drizzt Do'Urden only ever had a few magical items - which is what Pluisjens model would replicate.

I'm slowly consuming 4e but now I see the level guidelines which helps e.g. Black Iron Armor lvl 4 is +1, lvl 9+2 etc.  based on that and what you said perhaps the algorithm could be changed to something like

• One +1 item at level 4.

• Additional + item for every 5 levels (increase the plus each time).

• Potion/scroll for every 3 levels.

So a level 29 fighter might have as an example

+6 Chain Mail, +5 shield, +4 longsword, +3 Shortbow, Bracers of the Perfect Shot, Gauntlets of the Ram, 5 potions of healing, 3 potions of vitality, 1 potion of life.

That doesnt seem too overdone - do you think he would have more of anything?

Well, the idea with the "Gold equivalent to one item of the character's level - 1" is that you can immediately spend that gold on a handful of lower-level items. Because of the way item costs scale (an item of level X costs the same as five items of level X-5), your level 29 fighter could have, for example:

+6 Chainmail of some incredible property (level 30 item)
+6 longsword with some magical daily power (level 29 item)
+6 amulet with a useful property (level 28 item)
and 5 more level 23 items (a +5 bow, a powerful shield, boots, gloves, and a belt.) Or maybe one of those is a level 25 item, some of them are level 20, etc....

That's all just following the book's model (as described by Pluisjen.)
Oh I get it, ok cool thats simpler.  Using gold to buy magic items is kinda foreign to me but it makes sense here.
Right. Don't think of it as "the character walks into Ye Olde Magick Item Shoppe with thirty thousand gold in his pocket," think of it as "this gold represents all of the other items the character has accumulated while they were leveling up."

So a level 29 fighter might have as an example

+6 Chain Mail, +5 shield, +4 longsword, +3 Shortbow, Bracers of the Perfect Shot, Gauntlets of the Ram, 5 potions of healing, 3 potions of vitality, 1 potion of life.

One small point: Shields no longer have enhancement boni that add to defence, beyond their standard defensive properties. They add other 'extras' and take the place of the Arms slot (if magical) which precludes using a magical shield and Bracers of X.

Bracers of the Perfect Shot,
Chandrak's awesome solutions to the 5-minute workday 'problem'
97183719 wrote:
Seeing as there is a disconnect between balance (quantifiable) and fun, (subjective and personal) discussing fun in a thread about balance because you find one system more enjoyable than another is as helpful as discussing religion in a thread about architectural engineering because you think cathedrals look prettier than outhouses.