[WoA] It's been many years since I painted any minifigures, but after seeing BulldogUK's post in this forum with his beautifully painted set, I got me inspired to get the old brushes out and give it a go again. I used a very quick and dirty technique

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's been many years since I painted any minifigures, but after seeing BulldogUK's post in this forum with his beautifully painted set, I got me inspired to get the old brushes out and give it a go again. I used a very quick and dirty technique - flat color, washes and highlights - but I'm quite happy with how they came out & they're much more fun to play with now.

Woa Painted
The whole gang

Ashardalon
The big guy himself -- OK I blantantly stole BulldogUK's color scheme here - but I like my dragons big and red!

Otuygh & Bellax
Awesome Otuygh & that nast beholder guy Bellax or whatever he is.

Drake
The Drake

Heroes
Heroes

Orcs
Orcs

where's my porridge
Where's my porridge?

snakes
Where's Conan the Barbarian when you need him?!

Duregar
Duregar Boss & buddies

kobolds
Kobolds

Legion Devils
Those annoying Legion Devils!

Gibbering Mouthers
Urg I hate these guys. Pink blancmage color seemed best to me!

Kooky Kultists
I'm usually relieved when it's only one of these kooky kultist guys who shows up. My poison-resistant dwarf usually makes short work of them!

Grell
Grell.

Very nice work!!  I too painted a long time ago and the game has gotten me involved once more.  I am working on tile replacements now but after seeing your beautiful work I am itching to get to the figures.  Thanks for the inspiration and pictures!
They are great! I especially love the way you painted Ashardalon and the cleirc of Bahamut, Quinn.

What I'd do to my hero bases is to paint them in the same colour as their character sheet. So red for fighters, green for rangers and so on.

I painted my Hero Quest minis roughly twenty years ago but never came close to that skill of yours. I simply got a bit of paint and put it right onto the mini. I'd still like to give it a shot with Ravenloft, Ashardalon and the upcoming Drizzt game. As you speak of a simple and dirty technique, are there any hints you can share?

Do I have to colour each mini black and then apply paint once it dried? And what is this "washing" you refer to?
To paint these I basically just used Citadel minature paints. They have a lot of good tips on how to pain there too:

www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landi...

I didn't want to go into too much detail, just make them nice and playable. First I sprayed on a black undercoat (though next time I might try white instead), then mostly used the 'foundation' paints to lay in flat colors. On top of that I used the 'wash' paints, which are thin and dark, so they quickly add depth and shadow in all the recessed areas of the figure. Then I go over with the regular paints to add more color and highlights - doing quite a lot of drybrushing. I go back and forth a bit with the washes/highlights until I figure that's good enough - then finish with a spray of clearcoat matt varnish.

I just posted my ravenloft minis as well:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Thank you! You "sprayed" the paint on the minis, so I'm assuming you're using an airbrush. Is there any cheap one that works for amateur painters?
I do have an airbrush, but Citadel do cans of undercoat & varnish that you can spray on and that's what I used on these.
I've only recently started painting minis; I never thought I'd have the ability to do so.  My players seem to think otherwise, so what the hey, I'll keep doing them.

A couple painting pointers: use acrylic paints.  You can pick up the Games Workshop paint line, but to be honest I really prefer the paints from Privateer Press (P3 Paints) but I do use the GW washes.

You should always start by cleaning your minis - a little dishsoap and warm water goes a long way - and then spraying with a primer.  Black primers result in darker minis, white primer allows your bright colors to really pop, and gray primers are neutral.  You can pick up GW primers or P3, but really a spray can of primer from Wal-Mart or the local hardware store works just as well (and generally for as much as 1/3 the cost!).

Like he said above, start with a basecoat and then a little wash.  Do your detail work from there; you'll get the hang of it in no time!

My pics are below, mostly from the Warmachine game but repurposed for D&D

Show
Photobucket" />

these are my first efforts, so please be gentle ;)

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

As I posted in the similar Ravenloft thread, I am so envious of this! You have done a great job and I wish WotC would sell pre-painted minis for these games because I don't have the eyesight to do this kind of close-work.

Fantastic job!

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Fin, you're absolutely right. Seeing work like his is certainly humbling.

I'm looking forward to see some Drizzt minis in a couple months!

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org